Cabin Steward storing milk

Winning

So Im the person who asked awhile a go about mailing raw milk to my hotel in Miami since I can't buy it in a store down there, well I have a family member that can get raw milk through her farm sharing. Anyway we have a suite and I know the fridges are not cold enough to store the milk, so my question is how much extra $ should I tip my room steward for storing it for me and bringing to my room in the morning and evening before bed, I was thinking an extra $10 a day, what would you recommend.

We just got back on Sunday from sailling with the Magic. My 18mo daughter needs milk to sleep and the service was slow to deliver every night. My wife and I agree that next time, we would take a foldable ice chest/bag and keep it stocked. I hadn't considered having the room stewart keep it, though they certainly have access to those larger buckets of ice that beer comes in. Were I to have them store something for my family on our 7-day cruise, I would say $20 would be about right.

You would know right away if the milk is bad from lack of care. That would void my tip, I think.

Jesse

We just got back on Sunday from sailling with the Magic. My 18mo daughter needs milk to sleep and the service was slow to deliver every night. My wife and I agree that next time, we would take a foldable ice chest/bag and keep it stocked. I hadn't considered having the room stewart keep it, though they certainly have access to those larger buckets of ice that beer comes in. Were I to have them store something for my family on our 7-day cruise, I would say $20 would be about right.

You would know right away if the milk is bad from lack of care. That would void my tip, I think.

Jesse

Did you ask anyone on the Lido for milk?? It has been my experience that if you ask they will get it for you - even if its not "out" on the buffet like it is in the mornings.

OP I am sorry to tell you this but nothing can be stored in the ships refrigerators except authorized food and beverages.

This is a Board of Health Regulation and NOT a ship thing.

Just like at my restaurant I cannot allow my employees to store their personal lunches in the store units. I have to provide a separate unit for them. The same applies to grocery store employee personal food items.

JMHO I doubt a cabin steward would risk their job to store your milk.

From FAQ's

Items must be pre-packaged, unopened and cannot require any food prep from the dining staff. Homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. All items will need to be stored in the stateroom; the ship's storage and/or refrigeration are not available for this use.

The milk is for my one year old so her bedtime is between 8-9. I already spoke with my PVP and she said that it wouldn't be a problem for my steward to store it for me, I just wanted to know if you all thought an extra $10 a day would be sufficient enough for my steward to bring the milk by in the morning around 8 then again at bedtime around 8-9.

The milk is for my one year old so her bedtime is between 8-9. I already spoke with my PVP and she said that it wouldn't be a problem for my steward to store it for me, I just wanted to know if you all thought an extra $10 a day would be sufficient enough for my steward to bring the milk by in the morning around 8 then again at bedtime around 8-9.

I hope that's the case. Unfortunately....it wouldn't be the first time that guest were given incorrect information. :(

I'm with the bring a soft sided cooler with you and ask your steward to fill it with ice twice a day camp. I do this and it works out great. Your PVP is not your go to source for shipboard food and beverage operations advice. Your steward has access to a pantry on passenger decks that has an ice making machine but not a refrigerator. For this service $2 per day extra in cash is sufficient, imo.

So Im the person who asked awhile a go about mailing raw milk to my hotel in Miami since I can't buy it in a store down there, well I have a family member that can get raw milk through her farm sharing. Anyway we have a suite and I know the fridges are not cold enough to store the milk, so my question is how much extra $ should I tip my room steward for storing it for me and bringing to my room in the morning and evening before bed, I was thinking an extra $10 a day, what would you recommend.

I find it hard to believe that you didn't get your answer in your original post which I remember well.

The ship will not store the milk for you. End of story. Too much liabilty if your child gets sick.

If the cabin has a frig you can store milk in it by leaving the wooden door to the frig open all the time and minimally opening the frig.

Can get milk at lido any time it is open.

The OP is talking about raw milk, as in not pasteurized, straight from the cow.

I read thru this post quickly but if you have a medical/religious reason for your child to consume raw milk then paper work is able to be done and the ship will make it available. Sadly...all other reasons mean you ask for ice daily and hope :) Every day there is a sun I give thanks

To be safe Im going to bring a doctors note with me. I wrote down her name and information so my end is covered.

I wish you the best of luck with this however, keep in mind, raw milk is not medically necessary, but a lifestyle choice. I really don't think the ship will store this for you knowing you will be giving it to your child.

You should have a plan B in place, just in case.

Winner,

Your PVP has given you incorrect advice. You should pose your question to Carnival directly. They have a page on a popular social network site (not allowed to say which one here) Direct the question to Mischelle. If you get an answer from anyone other than her, get it in writing.

My son was on a medically restricted diet for a few months when he was younger as he recovered from a serious illness. CCL would absolutely, positively, NOT store any consumable item for us. They offered to give us extra ice when needed. This was NOT a lifestyle choice for us, his little body couldn't process certain foods. It was a no~even with a Dr's note stating medically required.

We cruised twice during that time frame, and also visited Disney~same rule at Disney.

I would be shocked if this was actually correct. I agree with the other poster. I work for a large restaurant company and no outside food is allowed to be stored in the freezers or fridge. Not only that but on top of the stewards many duties you expect that person to remember and have time to deliver to you twice a day at specified times. Doubtful. I don't think they are even on duty at 9pm.

Its too much of a liability for the cruise line. Your kid could get sick and then you could claim they didn't store it properly.

Diabetes/ Medicine Storage

If you are traveling with injectable medication(s) and need a container for disposal, please contact the Housekeeping team onboard. Stateroom mini-bars are only designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use the mini-bar to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. If your medication requires refrigeration, portable refrigerators are available onboard in limited quantities and on a first come, first serve basis. If a portable refrigerator is unavailable, our ship's Medical Center will arrange storage, please contact them once onboard. Ships equipped with mini-bars are:

This was found on Carnival's website, and relates to medicinal storage needs.

Your PVP was wrong and just trying not to lose a booking.

If you absolutely must use raw milk versus pasteurized (which you could get from 24 hr room service) for you child, and getting raw milk is an absolute must....then I would wait until the child is old enough to go to sleep without it before taking her on a cruise.

Archived