Another CHEERS question :)

MANDALOUWHO

another thing is that carnival is going to have to keep up with the beverage packages offered by other cruise lines or risk heavy drinkers and huge $$$ going to other cruise lines that offer an all you can drink package.

Very true! I booked my first Celebrity cruise while they were offering the Classic Beverage Package which includes unlimited drinks ($5 & under for beers, and $8 & under for mixed drinks). To upgrade to premium package is only $10 per day. The deal was too good to pass up! I actually paid less on Celebrity than I would to do a comparable cruise on Carnival & include the drink package. The fact that Celebrity doesn't limit the drinks is just an added benefit. And, you can get bottled water & specialty coffee drinks with their package too (which you can't through Carnival's).

You pay tax on the drinks you purchase while in U.S. waters, so, any drinks purchased before sailaway are charged the tax. It really wasn't enough to matter. Looking back at my sail n sign statement, the charges were...0.58, 0.40, 0.54, 0.46, 0.70...you get the drift. 10 drinks purchased on the cheers program (between the both of us) cost us 5.42 in tax before sail away.

I was on the Celebrity a two months ago and I had bought the Beverage package. I have never paid taxes even when we were in port. No invoice sign either. Carnival complicates things...

I was on the Celebrity a two months ago and I had bought the Beverage package. I have never paid taxes even when we were in port. No invoice sign either. Carnival complicates things...

That's great to hear about no signing of the slips! I thought I read that on the X boards! Yes, that was one of the things that was a pain in the butt on the Breeze - signing all those receipts). Thanks for your input!

Does the Cheers program include bottled beer or just beer by the glass? Just looking at the rules and it states beer and wine by the glass. I guess you can't order a bucket of beer then.

On the Cheers program you can't order a bucket of beer because you can't order more than one beer (or any drink for that matter) at a time. I suppose if you wanted to, you could ask for one beer with the bucket of ice (unopened), then wait a few minutes and get another or if you have multiple people traveling with you (order multiples at one time) and put in the bucket.

The problem we encountered on our last cruise was that they won't give you the bottle of beer to drink from if it's a glass bottle. Some of the beers did come in those plastic, open mouthed glasses on the Lido deck (Corona is the one that comes to mind). Some beers I do believe come in an aluminium bottle and they'll give you those. Most of the beer that we drank was poured into a glass though. It's that way whether you have the Cheers program or pay for each drink individually without the program. Bottomline, they would not serve you a drink in a GLASS bottle, but you're allowed or order bottles of beer on the Cheers program, they just give to you in a glass. Hope this helps clarify things.

I think the NO GLASS is for saftey. Don't want folks getting cut if someone drops the bottle and it breaks.

You are correct. NO GLASS at the pool area. Aluminum cans are okay, but anything else will be put into a plastic container.

Archived