Star Mini-Suite question

mariakitty

Our next cruise is set for August 31, 2013 on the Star. We have sailed Star before and on our last formal night the seas were a bit too rough for my liking. This year we are booked in a mini-suite, category ME, which is very far forward. We need a room for 4, limiting our cabin options. We could change cabins to aft, with a $400 price increase, or we could move down to a balcony that is more midship. While I really want the room of the mini, I also don't want the sea sickness either. One thing in my favor (I think) is the itinerary which keeps us hugging the mainland unlike the last cruise.

What would you do? Should I just take some meds and stick with the mini? Thanks!

There are two types of motion (and variables) that a ship experiences. One is if the seas are pretty rough and are running fore-to-aft or perhaps port forward to starboard aft. In a case like this, the bow of the ship will rise and fall with the seas. It doesn't matter which deck you're on, you'll feel the motion. I'm not an expert but I think the motion dissipates a bit the further aft you are. The other type of motion is side-to-side, often as the result of wind and the ship sailing through seas at an angle. The height of the ship tends to catch the wind. However, stabilizers help negate this. For motion like this, a lower deck is better.

The bottom line is that there's no way to predict what the weather and wind will be. The ship will be somewhat protected when you're in the Inside Passage but you will be at sea some of the time. Four people in a standard balcony cabin will be very tight. Only you can make the decision as to whether it's worth it.

Our next cruise is set for August 31, 2013 on the Star. We have sailed Star before and on our last formal night the seas were a bit too rough for my liking. This year we are booked in a mini-suite, category ME, which is very far forward. We need a room for 4, limiting our cabin options. We could change cabins to aft, with a $400 price increase, or we could move down to a balcony that is more midship. While I really want the room of the mini, I also don't want the sea sickness either. One thing in my favor (I think) is the itinerary which keeps us hugging the mainland unlike the last cruise.

What would you do? Should I just take some meds and stick with the mini? Thanks!

We are booked on the same cruise in an aft suite. My daughter and her husband booked about as far forward as you can get to save on cost, also on the same cruise. My thought is, being this is an inside passage, chances of a rough sea are reduced somewhat.

Mark

After looking at the options, and considering there are 4 of us in the cabin I think we will all be happier with the mini-suite. Since the itinerary is a bit different on this cruise there is less open sea and I am going to hope for the best. :)

I spoke with Princess last night and we are on a waiting list for an aft mini. After thinking about it I decided that no matter what we are on a cruise and it's going to be fantastic.

The center of the ship goes up and down less (that is, when the bow and stern are taking turns being the higher) than the bow or stern. Think of a teeter-totter. The ends go up higher than the center.

For side to side movement, the entire ship moves as one. Princess ships can put out "wings" that lessen such movement but does not necessarily stop it. Plus, the wings slow the ship down and use more fuel so if the ship is late use of wings is not the favorite tool used by the bridge.

We always book a mini on Emerald deck because the balconies are covered. We were on Star last March on her Valpariso to SF run and I experienced enough motion sickness on one day to visit the Medical Center. The Captain had told us about strong cross currents from a storm; and our steward mentioned that the suite passengers fully aft were really feeling it. Anyway, I then saw that you are doing the Inside Passage out of Seattle. We've sailed the IP itinerary 4 times with no problem. You're really not "at sea". Have fun. The ports are great. If Captain Perrin is still Commanding, you'll enjoy his PA announcements and presence. (I bumped into him in Horizon Court one morning).

We always book a mini on Emerald deck because the balconies are covered. We were on Star last March on her Valpariso to SF run and I experienced enough motion sickness on one day to visit the Medical Center.
Really? I was on this cruise and don't remember any roughness even though I was in an aft Caribe balcony. Maybe a little motion. Sorry you felt sick. That can be a bummer.

Archived