Favorite shopping experiences?

lacruisecat

What are your favorite shops to visit in Barbados? I am not really looking for duty free type shopping, but rather things unique to Barbados (although if you want to tell me about a really good duty free shop, please feel free)

What are your favorite stores to get really nice Barbaodos items and where are they located?

• 1 month later...

Hi Cat,

http://barbados.org/pelican_village.htm

This is a really nice place for you to find some great treasures.

It's right near the port also. 5 mins. away with a great view of the sea on the opposite side of the road.

You'll find these kinds of things:

• Straw bags, straw hats, and tropical apparel
  • Tropical batiks
  • Local T-shirts
  • Rum cakes and local confectionary
  • Straw mats, baskets and wall hangings
  • Mahogany carvings and sculptures
  • Unique metal art
  • Pottery
  • Gift baskets with local goodies
  • Paintings

The shops are so cute looking - like candy coloured doll houses!

BTW... if you're also looking for sauces and spices and Barbados rum etc don't buy from the touristy shops - go to directly to the regular supermarkets - much cheaper.

http://www.cruisebarbados.com/barbados_activity.cfm?ID=43

The above link has more info on the individual shops in the village!

http://www.designbarbados.org/pel-map.htm here's a map!

Enjoy your time here!

I live in Barbados and my favorite place to shop, is North America. Sorry about that. The shopping here isn't wonderful, if you are looking for a bargin. It's great if you have money to burn on things that shouldn't cost even half as much.

Anyway.. Local crafts, I would go for Pelican Village, or even some of the beach markets that are cropping up. I agree on the pepper sause. try to find a local supermarket, Big B, Super Centre etc and buy from there. Lots of choices. t-shirts - Roscoe T's which is in Wildy Industrial Park. You can get t-shirts for about half what they cost in Bridgetown and the tourist shops.

enjoy.

Been reading up on all the Barbados info since we'll be there in January. Can you tell me the name of the local supermarket where we would be able to purchase the mentioned items (rum etc) for better prices? How far from the ship?

I suppose a cab would stop for us also, just want to make sure I know the name of the store!!

Thanks!!

Been reading up on all the Barbados info since we'll be there in January. Can you tell me the name of the local supermarket where we would be able to purchase the mentioned items (rum etc) for better prices? How far from the ship?

I suppose a cab would stop for us also, just want to make sure I know the name of the store!!

Thanks!!

Hi nu2cruz,

All of the supermarkets normally sell the things mentioned. Just tell the cab driver that you want to go to a large local supermarket to buy local spices, rum etc.

You could try local candies also, like tamarind balls (sweet, yet sour ball made from sugar and the 'fruit' of the tamarind tree) and sugar cake (coconut boiled with sugar and food colouring harden into a sweet crumbly mound, yum!)

They shouldn't cost more than $1.50usd each. So if you don't like them, it's reatively inexpensive, also make nice gifts for those with a sweet tooth!:)

If you really want names of supermarkets (your best bet though is to settle for the nearest one you can find) here are some: JB's, Big B, Budgebuy, Carlton's, there is also Rick Supermarket in Bridgetown opposite the bus terminal on Fairchild St. The other large one in Bridgetown is (used to be called Julie N') called Trimart. Your driver should know what you mean if you mention anything from the above.

Enjoy your time here and if I can help any further don't hesitate to ask.:)

BTW. Bridgetown is near enough to walk, 5 - 10 mins and supermarkets usually close around 10 pm ish. Any local will tell you where Trimart or Rick's is!

BrodyBarb, is the tropical batiks at Pelican village fabric? As in buy several yards to make your own clothing? One of the main things I am looking for on my next trip (HAL-12/04) is fabric, tropical prints and batik prints.

lka1012: BrodyBarb, is the tropical batiks at Pelican village fabric? As in buy several yards to make your own clothing? One of the main things I am looking for on my next trip (HAL-12/04) is fabric, tropical prints and batik prints.

Hi Ika1012,

The decription at the website says: "Original Batik shirts, Wraps, Scarves, Wall Hangings"

So I'm thinking that maybe they don't sell by the yard. I'll call tomorrow and let you know what they say.

nu2cruz: You're welcome!

ayissafabricana2.jpg

Garnett Street, St Michael, Barbados. Tel: 246 228 4326

"Over the years, I have been designing fabrics using various techniques such as tie-dye, batik, printing, embroidery and recently, silk painting. I work with all types of fibres and a wide range of dyes even homemade, natural dyes. My collection includes clothing, accessories, soft furnishings and lengths of fabric."

lka1012: Is this the kind of thing you meant?

I found it here. Do you need me to call them?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much BrodyBarb for your link and information. I am a quilter who happens to love batiks. I'll be in Barbados in October and now I know what the first thing I'll be doing as soon as I get off the ship. :)

Thank you again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about the price. I don't drink it! But I think it's around $6usd

per litre. It's really, really cheap straight up, they have flavoured rum now too.

The cheapest place to buy is at a regular supermarket not in the duty-free type

shops.

• 4 weeks later...

Cave-Shepard department store in downtown Bridgetown is a good place to find a lot of local items as well as see where real local folk shop. There is a nice shop at the port that sells lots of local gift items and Jill Walker prints. And my favorite is to go into the local grocery store where you can buy hot sauces and other local food items for lots less than in gift shops.

I think Barbados is one of the loveliest islands, especially if you get away from the towns. Do a 4WD excursion---lots of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a great experience at Pelican Village a couple years back and hope to have another in January. I bought an original india ink drawing, two watercolor prints, a straw basket purse (which I ceremoniously use on every Caribbean trip) handmade dolls for my niece and nephew, and table placemats (the hard kind) with four local island scenes done in watercolor and india ink. I know there was more - I do not usually buy like this but the experience was exceptional. Plus, for some unknown reason, no one was there. So I hope to learn it is flourishing these days.

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just thought I would add this to all the great tips there are 2 places I would suggest.

The Chattel Village in Holetown. It is a small shopping area built along the grass and under the trees down in Holetown the buildings are built in The Chattel House style cute colorful wooden stores. They sell all sorts of different things. It is a realy great spot and near to the beach:)

The other is in St Thomas. Earthworks Pottery is the best pottery on the Island they have a wide variety to choose from in the store. The location is also awesome with a great view. Next door is a Batik store which has the most beautiful batiks I have ever seen they amaze me every time I see them. They will even show you how they are made :)

Upstairs there is a little restaurant with good food and a great view

This one is definitely a keeper :)

• 1 month later...

Archived