Has Anyone traveled to a port via Amtrak

lucky13elec

I am trying to avoid the 20 hour round trip drive to/from Jacksonville. I can find good airfare from JAX to either BWI or DCA. But getting to JAX by air is too expensive for us. I will only fly a direct flight the day of sailing & the day before you have the hotel cost also.

So has anyone taken Amtrak? If so how was it?

This would be an 11.5 hour trip by train. I have no idea about being on a train for that long. I haven't been on Amtrak since the 1970's.

But we would be in a car for 10 hrs if we drove. The other bonus is we fly back. No long drive home! Cost would be $200pp round trip for 4 of us. Would you do it?

Last April we took Amtrak from CT to Baltimore. The airfare was ridiculous!!! Although, we just had 5 hours, it was FINE. My 2nd time on a train. Saved us a BOAT LOAD of money. I say go for it.:D:D Amtrak has free WiFI now, although, it's not the greatest, if you have a tablet, it keeps you occupied.

We took the train from Birmingham to New Orleans.It was a 7 hour trip (same as driving),

but, with 5 or 6 stops.We left the day before our cruise, since we wouldn't get off the train till 7:30

and we had to stay a extraday in New Orleans, since the train left before the ship docked

.It was a relaxing ride.We brought snacks on with us and they gave you pillow and blankets.

It was much cheaper than driving or flying.

Edited by havocfan

We took Amtrak from DE to Boston last summer. It was a great ride with no problems. A few years ago, we went by Amtrak to Savannah. My understanding is the tracks south of Washington are owned by the freight companies and have priority on the tracks. We were 6 hours late arriving in Savannah. Train delays seem to be the norm when traveling south, as I've heard from numerous friends.

I am glad Amtrak works for you, I would love that option. I just plugged it in, because I could not remember the details, but for my family of 4, going from Dallas to New Orleans, is $312.00, 1 way. Nice price, but it's 33 hours and 50 mins and I bet I could take a bike in the same amount of time....lol. I wish it was a viable option for us, and am always jealous of those that can take the scenic route on vacations.

Edited by bruisin4cruisin

We have booked Amtrak. i checked their on time rate for Cincinnati to Penn station and it is pretty good. I wonder if I will like the 18 hour trip as it would only take 13 to drive, but it is all about the new experience for our Grandchildren. I found reviews on Trip Advisor and talked to friends that had done it before I booked.

We have taken Amtrak -- but just from our county (about 60 miles north of Los Angeles) to San Diego....not as long a trip as you are talking about. Actually, we did that twice. I loved it. Very short drive, with no traffic, to our nearest train station, and a leisurely trip down the coast without having to fight the traffic on the freeways. The train station in San Diego is just a couple of blocks from the Holiday Inn directly across the street from where the Spirit used to dock (last time we did this was in 2009, taking the Spirit to the Mexican Riviera). Sooooo easy and convenient.

We took Amtrak from Memphis to NOLA a few years ago. It was just me & DH and we got a sleeper (roomlette) and loved it. We could read, play cards or take a nap. It was a nice relaxing way to get to NOLA. My DH, bless his heart has a lead foot and has gotten a few speeding tickets on our many trips to NOLA. Added plus to Amtrak was I didn't have to pay a speeding ticket:). We are driving to NOLA for our cruise in March, wish we were taking Amtrak, but DH wants to drive.

We've taken Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise. No problems whatsoever. And in that case, you don't have to worry about long lines at the border on I-5. As one other person mentioned, however, be aware of possible delays. Delays can happen and when they do it's often for many, many hours.

We are going from Phila. to San Diego to catch a cruise in April. Seats on Amtrak are much more roomy than on a plane, and you don't have the luggage restrictions. If you have questions about Amtrak travel, there is an Amtrak fan site (not affiloiated with Amtrak) where you can ask all kinds of questions:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

You do not have to join to ask questions as a guest.

There is also a site to track the trains for timeliness:

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/scripts/getmap.pl?mapname=East

Even numbered trains are northbound and eastbound; odd numbers south and west. The majority of the delays on the silver Star/Meteor occur in florida where there is a lot of freight traffic and track work. EM

Ok I'm from Fairfax and now in Jax. I did take the auto train once and I was delayed by 9 hours and missed the closing on my house. That being said I do the drive 2x a year and its a straight shot down 95. You can even take it easy and stop overnight along the way and get a cheap room for less then 50. Also, I did have a sleeping room on the train I could not imagine trying to sleep in a seat?

Hurry up its in the 70's today!

we've traveled on Amtrak to ports several times also....and used the cruise/Amtrak code as mentioned for that 20% discount....each cruiseline has it's own code....Carnival has not posted a code for 2013...so far only Norweigian has.....

the code has restrictions if you find it and use it....must be called in....you have to arrive at the port city the day before cruising.....

if according to the poster who just called in with their booking # the agent finds the code good for you! However I have found many agents were not even aware of the promotion and needed the code....they might can look for it for you if indeed Carnival has it this year....it's been reportedly read on Carnival that they will not have a code at all for this year or going forward....

from where I live in Philly going to Orlando is only 2 buck more than going to Jacksonville.....so....here is an easy way to get 15% off Amtrak travel using Orlando's visitor dicount.....try to use the code on your train tix to Jacksonville since that same train goes on to Orlando (did that train several times).....if you cannot, just buy the tix to Orlando and get off in Jacksonville....no one can force you to stay on the train LOLOL

http://www.visitorlando.com/discounts-and-tickets/free-magicard-orlando-discount-card/?couponfilter=12&couponSortBy=

I am trying to avoid the 20 hour round trip drive to/from Jacksonville. I can find good airfare from JAX to either BWI or DCA. But getting to JAX by air is too expensive for us. I will only fly a direct flight the day of sailing & the day before you have the hotel cost also.

This would be an 11.5 hour trip by train. I have no idea about being on a train for that long. I haven't been on Amtrak since the 1970's.

But we would be in a car for 10 hrs if we drove. The other bonus is we fly back. No long drive home! Cost would be $200pp round trip for 4 of us. Would you do it?

Hi

We have taken Amtrak from Florence, SC and Charleston Sc to Tampa in the past I thought it was great very comfortable seats with a footrest can check your suitcases and can get up and walk around if you choose. I know it goes near Jacksonville but in relation to the port I have no Idea.

But if you can get transportation from Station to port I would go for it.

If you are sailing Carnival when you call Amtrack to ticket they had a discount for Carnival cruisers when we sailed so I would ask about it.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide

pat

murrells inlet, sc

There are 12 of us going in February to NOL for our cruise. 4 are driving together and 8 of us are taking the Amtrak. It was allot cheaper for 2 to go Amtrack like a $300 savings then to fly. We had friends who did the same thing last year ad they said they had a blast on the train. We are arriving the day before the cruise in case anything happens. We're from Chicago so even flying we leave a day before. Never know what the weather will be like.

There are no more codes for Carnival with Amtrak they stopped that at the end of last year,.,

We figured also the leg room is more and we can play cards and talk where in an airport by the time you get to the airport and if you have to catch connecting flights you could spend 12 hours in just airports.

Besides my hubby never rode any train in his life so this is like a kid in a candy store.

But we would be in a car for 10 hrs if we drove. The other bonus is we fly back. No long drive home! Cost would be $200pp round trip for 4 of us. Would you do it?[/QUOT

No, I have not but I have traveled on Amtrak. Two years ago, I went from Pa. to Florida. Many, many delays, we finally arrived about 10 hours late. Then, because of heavy snow up north, all trains along the east coast were cancelled for 2 days. You never know and it is not something I would want to chance.

THIS IS AMAZING. Last night I asked my DH about taking the train. We live in Jax and need to be in Miami on May 5. He pooh poohed it. so tried to look up where the train station is in Miami..how do you get to Port..Are there taxis there? Ones you would not be afraid to use? Can you buy a transfer from Carnival from the train to the Bus?

What is the Motel situation around the train Station? How do you get from the Station to the Hotel? book beforehand and a shuttle picks you up?

Help! We make that trip so many times a year. My DH is seventy one..and now has leg issues. Being able to ride the Train to Miami or Fort Lauderdale would be great. he cannot fly. something with an injury when he was in the Coast Guard Reserves..air pressure does odd things to his ears..like makes them hurt. Odd. I know. He was on active duty at Camp May during the Viet Nam War..parts of it..and something happened.

THANK YOU ALL............

Be sure to check the Special Rates tab including the Smart Fares.

There are many options for discounts that you may qualify for.

There use to be a train to your cruise port discount code but there was not one issued Carnival for 2013.

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

The above link shows various discounts for Amtrak.