Events at Sea... has it happened to you?

kimba_99

Just returned from the May 28 sailing on the Diamond Princess. We had a great time, but a few unfortunate things happened. On Sunday, our second day sailing, the captain announced that during the night a gentleman passenger was sick and required urgent medical evacuation. The ship was turned around to make a boat transfer. This was all completed by 3:30 am so most people weren't aware of it. Because of this, our Juneau arrival Monday would be 5:30 pm instead of the scheduled 12:30. People were frantically trying to make changes of their excursions and were not very sympathetic of the sick passenger. We had booked a glacier helicopter tour and Captain Larry through Orca Enterprises. My husband contacted Orca and they said they would cancel the helicopter, but we could still do the whale watching. The next day the captain came on again and stated that due to rough seas, the arrival time would be revised to 7:00 pm. Again, many unhappy passengers. We contacted Orca again and they said they could still accomodate us and would be waiting. We ended up docking at 7:30 pm and Captain Larry and his people pulled through for us. They were waiting for us and we were able to go out for about 1 hour (paid 1/2 price). We saw a little whale activity - not much but it still was awesome. They are the greatest people to deal with! The next disappointment was our last night. We were to arrive in Victoria at around 7:00, but again the Captain announced the winds were too heavy and we ended up finally pulling in at 10:20 pm. They announced that all passengers needed to return by 11:30 pm, so we opted to stay on board. There were buses ready, and many people took a really quick tour (I heard it was only $5.00). All in all, a great trip; beautiful weather - no rain whatsoever. Stuff happens. I hope all is well with the sick gentleman.

It's disappointing when ports are missed or cut short, I know I would be annoyed to say the least. You were lucky to get your excursion with Orca sorted out, I bet many people didn't get any excursions at all.

Glad you had a great trip anyway.... this is the sort of stuff new cruisers need to read about so they have some understanding of what can happen on a cruise, any cruise, any cruiseline, so if something like this does happen they, hopefully, will not be too upset or overwhelmed by it.

Cheers,

Kim

Hi all,

I would say our worst event at sea by FAR was on the old Golden Princess where we had no working toilet in our cabin for 4 days. Purser claimed no open cabins to move us to as ship was sold out and they kept trying to fix it but all that did was make cabin smell worse. Nearest toilet was up 3 flights of stairs. Complaining did nothing until one night/day hubby woke up and had to walk up the 3 flights for his call of nature at about 5am. Well, he did it in nothing but his Hanes and all the people who were awake went to complain to the Purser about my husband. They got the toilet fixed that afternoon finally after having to close a hall completely and pull apart the bulkhead.

Before you ask we did get what Princess felt was proper compensation for 4 out of 11 days without a working toilet in the cabin. A $200 cabin credit on a future cruise once we got home. ot even an apology from the crew on the ship. They just kept asking what I expected when I booked an older ship? Oh well, we've been on about 30 cruises since then at least half on Princess so I guess it didn't turn us off.

Well, it must be a toilet thing with Princess. Our friends who had the next cabin to us also had toidy problems. They would use ours during the day but if a night visit was necessary they had to go to the bathrooms near HC. It wasn't too bad as we were on Aloha but very inconvenient.:( I will say the staff made a few attempts to fix but by the next day it was broken again :eek: I think the last two days were ok. This was on the Star in April.

We made the best of the situation tho - things happen beyond our control.:)

The next disappointment was our last night. We were to arrive in Victoria at around 7:00, but again the Captain announced the winds were too heavy and we ended up finally pulling in at 10:20 pm. They announced that all passengers needed to return by 11:30 pm, so we opted to stay on board.

That's too bad, but I guess at least you made it to Victoria eventually. I recall a bunch of sailings last year that never even docked. Especially since after our cruise, they realized that the wind was a problem for the Diamond :)

I can't imagine having a broken toilet onboard... especially if you don't have a balcony door to open.

We arrived at our cabin on the Mississippi Queen with a fan blowing in the hall and a terrible sewage odor in our room. As my wife and I looked at each other with "What shall we do" the phone rang. It was the purser asking how our room was. I said "What is it with the smell in here". They said they had an overflow on the prior cruise and offered us a new room ...which we did not hesitate to take them up on.

We were on the Dawn Princess May 14 when CDC reported that 76 of 1974 passengers (3.9%) and 9 of 864 crew members (1.0%) reported ill during the April 29 - May 14 cruise ending in San Francisco. Fortunately we were not one taken ill. Just complied with the extra precautions.

On a Grand Cruise we left St Thomas, went to dinner, then noticed an hour later we were back at St Thomas. Reason was to evacuate an ill man. We were able to make up the time and make the next day's stop on time.

Same cruise we had a young women missing. The Captain made announcements looking for her, turned the ship around at 6am for an hour to retrace our tracks, and then she showed up and admitted she was in a room her parents were not aware she was in.

Forget how many cruises we were not able to make port due to weather. Best remuneration offered was on the Zenith where they opened the bars for the afternoon. We also diverted and stayed at sea twice when political unrest made it too hazardest.

I guess the worst that has ever happend on one of our cruises (knock on wood) was on our New Zealand/Australia cruise when one of the entertainers dropped dead of a heart attack outside the dining room. He was David, the piano player. We had a memorial service a few days later, but it caused no delay or inconvenience to any passengers, so it probably does not qualify for your criteria of a disaster.

How about the ceiling falling in on our cabin on the old "Norweigen Wind" "spelling" ship. The entire bottom half of the ceiling fell in and hit the floor from a toilet leak upstairs somewhere or in the ceiling or wherever...Soaked everything in the room with this nice smelling stuff..It was near the last day of our cruise thankfully..Now we know why they call the ship the "Wind"...It was unfortunatly an inside cabin..LOL

After our toilet exploded on one of our early cruises:eek: I always make sure now that the lid stays firmly down after every use.

OMG ours too Lolipop, not only do I keep the toilet seat down but I weigh it down with something too.

I had my formal outfit hanging in the bathroom at the time to de-crease it with the steam.....what a mess

Archived