Ryndam questions

hennypenny69

We have booked to go on the Ryndam and have an inside cabin at the rear of the main deck. Is this a good choice in terms of noise and vibration?

We haven't been on an HAL cruise before although we have been on several others. Is the room service completely free as in not having pay for the food ordered as well as paying for the service? Does the room service include gluten free food.

thank you in advance for answering the questions

We have booked to go on the Ryndam and have an inside cabin at the rear of the main deck. Is this a good choice in terms of noise and vibration?

We haven't been on an HAL cruise before although we have been on several others. Is the room service completely free as in not having pay for the food ordered as well as paying for the service? Does the room service include gluten free food.

thank you in advance for answering the questions

Room service is completely free, you pay for neither the food nor the service. You'll have to ask about gluten-free foods when you call though as I don't think they are on the room service menus. I do know that you can order from the evening MDR menu for room service dinner though, so they may be able to accommodate gluten free requests. Perhaps someone else here has more knowledge of this.

Main deck aft puts you fairly close to the engines and some people report that they can hear noise and feel vibration there as opposed to elsewhere. If you are particularly sensitive to these, you may want to move forward towards midship.

Hi

Thanks for your reply - the only other cabins available that will accommodate four of us are on the main deck right at the front. We were told that we would hear and feel anchor noises/vibrations in these cabins when tendering (our cruise has several tenders) so thought the aft may be better but I am now a bit worried. Unfortunately there are no midship inside cabins available and outside are out of our price range :mad:. We don't mind being inside as we don't spend much time inside the cabin but we don't want to be shaken everynight!!

Is the Ryndam a nice ship? We choice this cruise because it involves no flying - I am recovering from an injury that was greatly worsened by flying this Christmas.

There is no charge for Room Service on HAL. If you wish to tip when your order is delivered, that would be your option.

You should advise HAL in advance of your cruise regarding glueten free foods. We do not request or require them but I have read here that people who want gluten free are given an 'order sheet' from which they can make requests for items they want.

Have your TA get particulars or call Ships Service 800-541-1576.

I have no idea if you will have vibration or noise in that cabin location.

Hi

Thanks for your reply - the only other cabins available that will accommodate four of us are on the main deck right at the front. We were told that we would hear and feel anchor noises/vibrations in these cabins when tendering (our cruise has several tenders) so thought the aft may be better but I am now a bit worried. Unfortunately there are no midship inside cabins available and outside are out of our price range :mad:. We don't mind being inside as we don't spend much time inside the cabin but we don't want to be shaken everynight!!

Is the Ryndam a nice ship? We choice this cruise because it involves no flying - I am recovering from an injury that was greatly worsened by flying this Christmas.

My family and I really like the small size of the Ryndam. (We range in age from 34 to 67.) It does not feel crowded like other cruise ships that we have been on; there is a low-key atmoshpere; and it is easy to get around for my mom who has some difficulty walking. With regards to room service, each night we like putting out an order for juice, coffee, and ice water to be delivered while we are getting ready in the morning. We usually give them $1-$2 tip each time. Hope this helps!

Bridget

Hi hennypenny - Welcome to HAL.

One of the advantages of the aft cabins is a bit smoother ride. In the forward cabins you can feel the bumpy water. :D A few years ago we sailed Ryndam on Lower Prom in an aft-facing cabin & this past Sept we cruised on Amsterdam in an outside cabin on Main Deck, about 3 or 4 from the stern. We noticed very little vibration. Just the gentle motion of the ship.

However, the ships do have 2 anchors. And you never know which one(s) will be dropped. :o But that lasts only 30-60 seconds. Most of the time I slept right thru it. If it did wake me, I just went right back to sleep. In a cave-dark inside cabin, you might never notice it.

We often cruise with a dear friend who needs gluten-free. We always have main seating, not open or as-you-wish, so that the same waiters are serving in the dining room. Every night there is always GF bread already available. The first night B informs the wait-staff & then each night they bring him the next day's menus. So the first night he has to choose carefully, but after that, if there is pasta on the menu, he can get it GF. He usually eats brekkie in the dining room or room service - I believe he asks his cabin steward to bring him a GF room service menu. So he can get pancakes, muffins, french toast, etc. In the Lido, he has to choose carefully, as the food is served cafeteria-style.

I hope this is helpful - I'm trying to give you this from memory. B is on a cruise right now or he could give you the info himself.

Enjoy Ryndam. We loved her in Alaska. :)

Thank you for all your replies - we are really grateful. Although we are not going until July we are very excited as we are going to Norway, somewhere we have wanted to go to for a long time. From what you all say I think we will enjoy the Ryndam as it is smaller than the big ships we have been on which have sometimes been a bit intimidating for our children.

We have been given a form to fill in for our son - he is looking forward to the gluten free choices.

thank you again :)

Hennypenny

Thank you for all your replies - we are really grateful. Although we are not going until July we are very excited as we are going to Norway, somewhere we have wanted to go to for a long time. From what you all say I think we will enjoy the Ryndam as it is smaller than the big ships we have been on which have sometimes been a bit intimidating for our children.

We have been given a form to fill in for our son - he is looking forward to the gluten free choices.

Hennypenny

Hi there, you might be neighbours to us if your on above cruise, I booked today and have gone guarantee so will have to wait to find out what cabin we get which is exciting anyway even if it is an inside on!

This is only the second cruise for us, last one was on the Veendam for an Alaska cruise which was awesome.

Julie:)

Hennypenny

We were on Ryndam over New Year's and found her to be beautiful and well taken care of. Last summer, we did a cruise that included much of the Norwegian coastline from Bergen to North Cape; you will not be disappointed with the beauty of the area and friendliness of the people. I'm sure you and your children will long remember a wonderful cruise on Ryndam. :)

Archived