Self Assist

Spanky My

So am I correct that you KEEP your luggage and not put it out the night before and allowed to get off the ship earlier than most?

I have a 11:30 flight out of FLL so should I sign up for that? Thanks wiley vets for your answer upfront....

So am I correct that you KEEP your luggage and not put it out the night before and allowed to get off the ship earlier than most?

I have a 11:30 flight out of FLL so should I sign up for that? Thanks wiley vets for your answer upfront....

Correct, I did self assist on my last cruise, i had a 12:30 flight in Fort Lauderdale. We took Sas Transportation from POM and i made it to FLL around 9:30 am.:)

You do not need to sign up for self assist, simply keep your bags inside. DO NOT put the tags on them and put them outside your stateroom. Keep them inside with you.

Self assist is so easy, unless you have a lot of bags. That is all we have ever done so there is no waiting or searching for your bags when you get off the ship.

Keep in mind, you have to be able to handle it all, there is no assistance. You may also encounter escalators and security guards who won't let you on said escalator unless you have a free hand. You may also run into issues on the ship depending on what deck you are on. The elevators don't hold a lot of people when you also have luggage, and people also tend to to go up to go down, so if you are on a high deck, you can have quite a time getting down.

[qutotei=re-re;368l52695s]iCorred I did slf assist on my last cruise, i had a 12:30 flight in Fort Lauderdale. We took Sas Transportation from POM and i made it to FLL around 9:30 am.:)

what time was self assist

[qutotei=re-re;368l52695s]iCorred I did slf assist on my last cruise, i had a 12:30 flight in Fort Lauderdale. We took Sas Transportation from POM and i made it to FLL around 9:30 am.:)

what time was self assist

Around 8:00 or 8:15. Their was no line at customs, so we had to be like the first group off the ship.

Have fun on your cruise.:)

On our 1st cruise we didn't quite understand all the ways to get off the ship so set our bags out the nie before. Such a pain!! Especially if you're flying. You have to keep what you'll need to get ready in the morning, but still be able to fly out. Ever since we've used self assist. Rarely had any problems. Some lines and stairs so be sure you can handle them. Multiple big bags wouldn't work well.

There is another option. Luggage Express. I didn't research your ship and your airline to see if it is available but it worked out great for us.

Sign up for Luggage Express, put your suitcase out in the hall as usual before midnight and see it again at your final destination! The Luggage Express paperwork gives you priority debarking - we simply walked off the ship as soon as it was cleared with our carry-ons. Easy as pie.

Bonus - no extra fee from our airline for checked luggage! It can happen (the fee) but we never did get a charge for it.

Now, if they would just institute a Luggage Express for the opposite! It would be great to check our big bag straight to the ship from the airport!

to be fair i have never done self-assist on carnival, but did it once on the freedom class of rccl and swore i would never do it again. not because it isn't convenient but because my shins and legs just took a total beating and my nerves became easily frayed and then we still had to sit patiently on the shuttle because it wasn't full enough to drive away.

also, to be fair, this was several years ago and people are hauling a lot less luggage but i was just amazed to see people on scooters trying to cope with their luggage and parents with an infant, a few toddlers, and a child trying to maneuver all their stuff, including strollers, down the stairs when the elevators jammed up and smacking and being smacked by impatient passengers behind them.

now i make sure i book a later flight, close up the ship, and debark with only my soft sided strappy carry all. the nerves are much better.

If you do self assist do you have to leave the ship at a designated time. Or can you leave anytime you wish.

You can leave the ship whenever you like. I've been off right away and I've also been one of the last people off. If you are in no hurry and want to hang out you can, but you can't leave your luggage in the cabin until you decide to leave. The steward does have to get the cabin ready for the next cruise.

You can leave the ship whenever you like. I've been off right away and I've also been one of the last people off. If you are in no hurry and want to hang out you can, but you can't leave your luggage in the cabin until you decide to leave. The steward does have to get the cabin ready for the next cruise.

Oh yes I figured that they have a specific time they wish you and/or your luggage out of the cabin. ;) :D

actually the ship does give you debarking times, for those without luggage, to try and keep elevators running smoothly. these are zones and your luggage is stacked in the same zone areas when you retrieve it. people don't necessarily follow the times and a lot just wait for a hole in the flow and go.

Question

So if I choose self assist, I understand I have to leave my cabin.

But I can take my bags on deck, have breakfast, enjoy a lounge chair and people watch till the flow has thinned out?

we did self assist on the Breeze for the last cruise, and we left our luggage in our room and went to go have breakfast on the Lido, then went back to the cabin and retrieved our bags for disembarking. It went as smooth as it could go, and we'll do self assist in the future. We were outside the terminal waiting on the shuttle before 8 am.

Question

But I can take my bags on deck, have breakfast, enjoy a lounge chair and people watch till the flow has thinned out?

Technically that is correct. They do tell you when you are "supposed to" get off the ship, as one of the first groups. But, it is not like there are police at the exit saying no...it's too late for you to leave since you are self assist, so we can't let you off.

Question

Yes, however it defeats the purpose of carrying off your stuff. If you aren't in a rush, just check it the old fashioned way and leave the ship whenever you want after your zone is called and get your luggage in the terminal.

There is another option. Luggage Express. I didn't research your ship and your airline to see if it is available but it worked out great for us.

Sign up for Luggage Express, put your suitcase out in the hall as usual before midnight and see it again at your final destination! The Luggage Express paperwork gives you priority debarking - we simply walked off the ship as soon as it was cleared with our carry-ons. Easy as pie.

Bonus - no extra fee from our airline for checked luggage! It can happen (the fee) but we never did get a charge for it.

Now, if they would just institute a Luggage Express for the opposite! It would be great to check our big bag straight to the ship from the airport!

You are supposed to get charged the luggage fees from the airline, so I wouldn't count on avoiding those fees doing this. It's also $20 per person in the stateroom to do this. I looked at it, but decided it wasn't worth $80 for the 4 of us. Plus, you don't really know where your luggage is so makes it more difficult to track down if it goes missing. The airline has the out to say they didn't get it in the first place. Just a couple things for people to think about.

Archived