Question on additional tips for bar staff

Warmer Climes

DH and I typically add a few dollars to each bar bill for good service. We always assumed this went to our server or possibly split between the server and bartender. I read on another thread of someone tipping the server in cash because otherwise the additional tip is put in a pool and divided among all the bar staff. Does anyone know how it works? Not really a big deal but I would like to know how to get that $ in our favorite server's hand.

Barb

DH and I typically add a few dollars to each bar bill for good service. We always assumed this went to our server or possibly split between the server and bartender. I read on another thread of someone tipping the server in cash because otherwise the additional tip is put in a pool and divided among all the bar staff. Does anyone know how it works? Not really a big deal but I would like to know how to get that $ in our favorite server's hand.

Barb

Formerly, if you added a tip to the check, it did go in to the tip pool for the bar servers. That is no longer true--your actual server DOES get it. BUT--cash is best--no taxes !! It is best to tip as you go along, as you are doing, rather than at the end. While they are all great, you will find they are even better if you tip as you go !! Sometimes, if the bartenders are friends, they may have an informal agreement between themselves to pool the cash they receive.

Having worked in restaurants and bars for 20 years, I can tell you, it doesn't matter!

If you are going to tip extra because you feel you had great service, then tip extra (I ALWAYS do!). Where the money goes is none of your business.

The people on the ship work together, live together and so on. You have no idea what happens behind the scenes to make that particular bartender or server good.

No person is an island when serving on a cruise ship (pun intended).

Archived