Crime in Alaska??

gf

Have been reading this board for a long time now and have seen few, if any, reports about crime in Alaska. Do I assume it's the usual "be aware wherever you are," or is it really nothing to worry about? Taking NB cruise 7/20 and 4 night Denali-ANC post-cruise. Thanks for replies!

Tourists are often a target everywhere, even in Alaska, although it is usually something like breaking into a car to steal bags, packages, etc. or stuff goes missing out of hotel rooms. Use common sense. You probably don't have to worry about getting mugged, etc. I never lock my car and don't even have a key to my house and have never had problems, but then no one would want my car and I never leave valuables in sight. My house is so far out in the woods even I have trouble finding it sometimes....

I say alot less crime than other places.A couple weeks ago a lady lost her wallet with $300 cash in it and wasn't aware she had even lost it till a park ranger tracked her down to return it after it had been turned into him!

Glacier Lady, I was just going to tell that same story!

Renee of PJs Taxi had given us a tour of Seward and then dropped us off at Exit Glacier. When we sat down for a rest, my wallet must have fallen out of my pocket. I got up and didn't realize I had dropped it. A nice couple found it, looked inside and saw my business card and Renee's PJs taxi business card inside and gave it to a Ranger. When Renee picked us up, the Ranger flagged her down and asked if we had lost anything. He asked me to identify what was in the wallet and then gave it to me. I can't think how miserable I would have been if I had lost that money! But that just shows how honest people are in Alaska!!

And, BTW, if you are going to Seward, look Renee up at PJs Taxi -- she gave us an awesome tour!

Have been reading this board for a long time now and have seen few, if any, reports about crime in Alaska. Do I assume it's the usual "be aware wherever you are," or is it really nothing to worry about? Taking NB cruise 7/20 and 4 night Denali-ANC post-cruise. Thanks for replies!

As with any place you go there is going to be crime. We don't have a lot of muggings but they do like in the summer to hit alot of the park parking lots and trailheads and do smash and grabs. So if you have a rental car and don't plan to take the important and or expensive stuff with you, leave it in the trunk, not out in the open or in the glove box.

I at no time feel uncomfortable walking downtown, though you occasionally may be approached by panhandlers though it's not as bad as some places I've been.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The biggest thing we have concerning tourist's is "JAYWALKING". Seems some folks think just because they are on vacation they can disregard common sense

and cross the street wherever they want. We have crosswalks and crossing guards in Ketchikan for a reason. The main Highway that runs through town also

seperates the cruise ship dock from the trinket shops. When in Ketchikan always

cross the street at a marked crosswalk. I think that what goes on in most of the

foreign owned jewlery stores is a crime too, but I am not sure how to describe

that???? Good luck and have safe vacation.:)

Archived