What suitcase?

baja mama

This will be our first trip to Europe and we are taking a cruise out of Venice.

I have heard you have to lug your suitcases around and in and out of water cabs. Is it best to take 1 large suitcase or a carry-on size and a duffle that will fit on top of the carry-on?

Thanks

Lynn

I have heard you have to lug your suitcases around and in and out of water cabs. Is it best to take 1 large suitcase or a carry-on size and a duffle that will fit on top of the carry-on?

Thanks

Lynn

I'd be more apt to take a carry on and smaller handbag no matter where I went. I like being able to make a quick getaway these days.

I use this method to pack:

I don't use the Baggalini organizer. I have a few smaller bags for my makeup, electronic items and my ziploc bag with my toiletries. A few times of doing what he does here and you will be amazed what you can take!

I have heard you have to lug your suitcases around and in and out of water cabs.

Yes, possibly, and probably up and down the stairs on the bridges, and perhaps onto the People Mover...so I recommend a medium sized bag (26" or so) and a small over shoulder carryon tote. Plus, don't pack it too heavy, so you have room for souvenirs.

Thanks

Lynn

Hi bajamama.....will your flight be met by your cruise line or are you on your own when you get to the airport? We're leaving from Venice, too, on Uniworld. They send someone to meet us and they assist with getting the luggage into transport vehicle to the ship and take care of getting the luggage to the ship and into your room. We try to do one suitcase each and a carry-on with meds, etc.

No one is meeting us and after the cruise we are taking the train to San Remo Italy to met up with some friends.

Thanks for all the info. I am going to have to learn to pack light.

Is Rolling clothes better than just packing them for more space?

Lynn

No one is meeting us and after the cruise we are taking the train to San Remo Italy to met up with some friends.

Thanks for all the info. I am going to have to learn to pack light.

Is Rolling clothes better than just packing them for more space?

Lynn

Personally, I've done both....I prefer the bundling method he shows on Packinglight.net. You end up with a lot less wrinkles.

I'd suggest a smaller suitcase (26 inch is large these days), one that you can manage by yourself with no assistance fully packed. A backpack works well, holds a lot and you can manage up stairs with both if you have to.

Our one and only (so far) Med cruise we overpacked. I had no idea how much until we got there and saw what cabs were like. There were 4 of us traveling together, we each had a full sized suitcase and a carry on, plus purses for the ladies. The "limo" service that picked us up had enough space for our purses and maybe 2 of the carry ons in the trunk, the car was about as big as a Toyota Corolla. Luckily, there was a van full of about 10 people going to our same hotel (in Rome) and the driver put our luggage in there...so we had 2 gratuities to pay, a small price vs. another "limo".

It would have been very uncomfortable trying to travel on our own with that much luggage. If we go again in the future, we will take a 22" bag (checked) and a smaller carry on.

I'd be more apt to take a carry on and smaller handbag no matter where I went. I like being able to make a quick getaway these days.

I use this method to pack:

I don't use the Baggalini organizer. I have a few smaller bags for my makeup, electronic items and my ziploc bag with my toiletries. A few times of doing what he does here and you will be amazed what you can take!

Thank you for posting this! We have our cruise in June, but what is really giving me packing heartache is a business trip to India- I will try this for that first!

In europe, when taking trains, i try to stick with a carryon suitcase and a backpack. So much easier for going up and down stairs at the train stations, nevermind loading them onto the trains.

if I don't have a cruise, i only do the carryon suitcase and my purse.

Thank you for posting this! We have our cruise in June, but what is really giving me packing heartache is a business trip to India- I will try this for that first!

No problem! I don't know how I ever lived without doing this. I did the rolling of the clothing for years and everything looked horrible when I arrived at my destination. This method has really eliminated all of that.

I have learned to live with with neutral bottoms and colorful tops. I'm a 20W (trying to lose, but it's a battle) so my clothes are not small. This guy's system really works for me because I can roll my own luggage off the ship/airplane, not just avoiding the fees, but the baggage claim area and the possible loss of luggage which has happened to both my hubby and I. It's so much easier!:D

Archived