Parents who are thinking about letting their teens go on Excursions

serene56

My 18 yo daughter booked the zip line tour in Belize through Carnival. She had a wonderful time, She said she was one of the youngest in her group and felt very safe. She said that she could tell they were keeping a close eye on her and instead of annoying her, she actually ended up appreciating it. She said the tour operators were very knowledgable and careful.

Before we left on our cruise, all her high school friends told her to be careful and not go off alone when in the ports. So at least I wasn't the only one nagging. :)

Booking an excursion through the ship won't prevent all problems, but at least in Belize my teen didn't mind being part of a "herd" for a change.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050605/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/aruba_missing_girl;_ylt=AjMtwxW6sOeydlZ_hXFXeKKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MTQ3MTFjBHNlYwN0cw--

Here's the latest... They have discovered a bloody mattress that testing is being performed on at the moment...

It was blood from a dead dog found nearby. Not hers.......at least according to the new report.

DH and I have told our two oldest boys (22, 19) that they have to stay together! My 16 yo and his 15yo friend must be together, and the youngest (12) preferably with us. (Occassionally with a brother!) All of the boys are ok with this. Although they are sure nothing could happen to them. :rolleyes: I really think people forget that the cruise is made up of 2,000 STRANGERS! I am somewhat niave, but after reading these boards, I am certaily better prepared. I am a parent who is not afraid to say "No." Luckily, all the boys want to do "family" excursions. :)

If someone mentioned this forgive me for repeating it, but I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned that she left the bar she was at with 3 locals. First off, the chaperones shouldn't have let her leave with people she didn't know, and secondly, where were her friends? I would NEVER let my best girlfriend or guyfriends for that matter leave with a local person no matter how nice because you don't know them from Adam.

I hope she's alive but my thoughts are that she's not. What a horrible ordeal.

If someone mentioned this forgive me for repeating it, but I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned that she left the bar she was at with 3 locals. First off, the chaperones shouldn't have let her leave with people she didn't know, and secondly, where were her friends? I would NEVER let my best girlfriend or guyfriends for that matter leave with a local person no matter how nice because you don't know them from Adam.

I hope she's alive but my thoughts are that she's not. What a horrible ordeal.

Apparently the "chapperones" weren't doing their job........nobody noticed she was missing until she didn't make it to her flight. So, no curfew; no bedcheck....and, I would be surprised if they had private rooms. Usually a group like this will have at least 2 per room, so didn't her roommate notice she didn't come back? Lots of unanswered questions. As far as the friends, if that Carlos and Charlies is as wild as the ones described on this board and on E! Wild On shows, they probably weren't thinking straight and they're lucky they made it back to the hotel safely.

:eek: Someone said they had seen things going on in the teen disco. Your scaring me! We're bringing our 14 year old DD and her best friend and that was one thing I was planning on letting her do as she's a dancer and so is her friend. Does anyone know what the disco is like. :confused:

Was this a school sponsored trip? If so, what kind of policy does this school have that they allowed these kids to go to a BAR. Most schools, regardless of the destination, have alcohol/drug free policies, if it's a school function or school sponsored. What teens can afford a trip to Aruba? Heck, I just saw a 3 night stay in Aruba without airfare for a little over $1,000. That's expensive. I remember in HS the kids went to France and some got drunk. They were suspended.

Was this a school sponsored trip? If so, what kind of policy does this school have that they allowed these kids to go to a BAR. Most schools, regardless of the destination, have alcohol/drug free policies, if it's a school function or school sponsored. What teens can afford a trip to Aruba? Heck, I just saw a 3 night stay in Aruba without airfare for a little over $1,000. That's expensive. I remember in HS the kids went to France and some got drunk. They were suspended.

I read that it was a privately parents and classmates organized trip.....just like my daughter's trip to Cancun. It is organized early in their Senior year and can be paid for in installments which makes it easier for the kids or parents to pay.

Yes, I worried myself silly while she was gone......prayed constantly. Told her that she was NOT to leave the group she went with at any time....never be by herself anywhere. She told me about having to use her sharp elbow on a local guy right in his kisser because he had groped her as she was getting on the bus in Cancun with her group.....she said the guy just about passed out from the pain..and was getting ready to get some more pain from my daughter's guy classmates...LOL!

I just wish that little girl lost in Aruba had stayed with her group.....just wish her friends had been paying attention to what was going on. I just wish that little girl had used her elbow too.....my prayers go out to her family.

I always had and still have that fear of the "date rape" drug being used in my daughter's drink while out in a strange place or anywhere for that matter. She was 24 last year when she and her brother went with us on a cruise. She and brother went out together a couple nights at sea....still worried about her even there.....even at 24 y.o.....even with brother there. Paranoid mother here.

:mad: Blood on mattress is of a dog...let it go

But I fear this sweet heart is far gone from us...

I agree you must let go...just NOT to Aruba... So sorry, I don't agree...and STILL sweat when my 27 yr old travels out of country on business...

Kids FORGET ,,,they are not in the USA,,,they FORGET what is right...they FORGET their parents, and party....

This is life...good, bad...horrible...this is IT.

On Triumph family cruise....2001....mine were a week short of 21 & 25... they look alike, np with the bars/ trade IDs.......why care? They were at college 3 years? OK..Cozumel...Carlos n Charlies....wheeeeeeeee....1 hour b4 depart... DH clicks elevator..."I'm gonna get them"...well while waiting we hear all this LOL, and door opens............MY 2 sons with 10 girls......omg, dad had a FIT !! ROFL BUT...they were on board, right? But they were with a group....Highly reccommended.

With all the crap in Cancun {IE bad cops / taking them to ATMs} I'd say stick by them {kids}.

The guys WISH they could go on our cruises...but they WORK now...The oldest a Chemist, the younger a firefighter/paramedic...they got no time....for a cruise.

So next year its all family in Cozumel...come and go...but we are hoping at least 3 days together.......See yall at Mr Sanchos...or maybe at Grande Cozumel...

Hasta Luego;)

:eek: Someone said they had seen things going on in the teen disco. Your scaring me! We're bringing our 14 year old DD and her best friend and that was one thing I was planning on letting her do as she's a dancer and so is her friend. Does anyone know what the disco is like. :confused:

I wouldn't worry about the teen disco on the ship.....Totally different climate....more like your kids at a birthday party with no alcohol...So not to worry while they are on the ship.:)

I am from Natalee's hometown and have been reading all the boards about what you would or would not let your child do. Yes, maybe she made a big mistake but it's a little late now to speculate. I do not even know her but I am from her town and worried sick just like millions of other people in the world. We all arepraying for the best-the town has yellow bows on mailboxes etc. Noone knows why the "FRIENDS" didn't stop her but I did hear one of the guys on the trip told her not to go- not sure if that's true or not. I am sure all those friends and chaperones are feeling so horrible about this!! Let's Hope she's Alive !! Thanks for your concern! This could happen anywhere and they were 18 and going to college-not sure now if I think the trip is appropriate for their age or not now!!!

Apparently the "chapperones" weren't doing their job........nobody noticed she was missing until she didn't make it to her flight. So, no curfew; no bedcheck....and, I would be surprised if they had private rooms. Usually a group like this will have at least 2 per room, so didn't her roommate notice she didn't come back? Lots of unanswered questions.

I went on a trip with school (back in the day ;) ) and our chaperones where parents and teachers. We didnt go anywhere exotic like the Caribbean, but everynight we had bedcheck, and then they would put tape outside our doors to make sure we didnt sneak out in the middle of the night. Additionally, it was 4 girls per room.

I dont know why chaperones didnt check and why roomates would not have noticed and why the hotel wouldnt notice that there was a room left with luggage..

Like I said I can only think that she was drugged and they all got drunk.. :(

You don't know the whole story so quit making judgement. I know for a fact that a child called home to say Natalee didn't come home that night. There are so many stories going around-it doesn't really matter now what happened-hopefully she'll be found so this family can move on with their life!!!

Whatever the outcome of this situation, the young woman made a foolish choice. Her friends were not reponsible for her actions.

Maybe they're not legally responsible for her actions, but if they're really her friends they wouldn't have let her go off with strangers in a foreign country! And I don't really think you should go blaming her completely for this, something horrible has happened to her! What if it was your kid? Would you be blaming your daugher if it happened to her?

Sorry if I sound too harsh, but your comment really irked me.

. Whatever the outcome of this situation, the young woman made a foolish choice. Her friends were not reponsible for her actions.

I agree her choice was foolish.

However, when a friend is in trouble or you see them in a situation where they may get in trouble I believe it is your responsiblity to try and help them.

Just like if a friend wants to drive drunk, I would never let them, I would take it upon myself to make sure my friend arrives at their destination safely.

You don't know the whole story

Yes you are right. We dont know the whole story and we can all pray that there will be better news to come and that her family can find out what really happened.

I feel just sick for everyone involved. As the parent of four boys -one 22- two teens, and one 12, it is hard to even imagine the pain everyone is feeling. I would like to think I would stop a friend from doing something stupid. Someone may have told her not to go with those guys, but barring physically holding her down, she is an adult. I don't want to judge her friends, her parents, or her! I do know that I personally never totally trust other adult chaperones. One can be friends with other parents, but have very different ideas about many things. I specifically ask many questions before I let my kids go other places with anyone. I promise, one of my questions would be, are you going to let my just graduated HS student drink? If you are, are you going to go to the bar and make sure they get home safely? Depending on their answer, I would make my decision about whether my child could go. We parents often complain about how peer pressure effects our kids, yet many parents don't want to say no because of what other parents will think or because it will make their child mad, sad, upset, etc. I plan to keep everyone involved in my prayers (as well as say a prayer for all parents. It's a tough job!):(

No use in argueing...:cool:

Fact is, you raise your kids, and do your best...

Whether they are 18 or 23, straight A students, church goers, it doesn't matter when they get away from it all and go on a trip..be it Spring Break, Cancun, or Aruba...

It's all too easy to toss it all away, for a good time:mad: Caution to the wind, they'll try anything they would normally NOT do in order to PARTY ..Same happens at sorieties/fraternaties...

I'm sad for everyone, and hurt for those who knew her...but I've been to the barren wastelands of Aruba...and I just do not see a good outcome here,,not after a week....

Ever been to the shark feeding grounds there in Aruba??? Where locals toss their trash to the sharks??? (I just pray she didn't suffer.) And sorry to be so graphic...but to have any hope this girl will be found safe is unrealistic ... A 'side tour' with natives in any foreign country is most unwise...and a poor choice unless in a group....drugged, not drugged, whatever it was, was a bad choice, and most likely the ultimate choice...

So quit speculating...Just impress on your teens bad choices often can lead to bad outcomes....It's all you can do.

RE my comment on teen disco - The kids nowadays do what I think they call "freak" dancing. Whereby it looks like they're simulating having sex right there on the dance floor, which could give the guys the wrong impression of what might happen after the dance. I know there are chaperones in the disco, but when I peeked in (on the Triumph you can see in from the promenade), it didn't appear that anyone had a problem with it. And as many teens have a room separate from their parents.....

Archived