Best Day to Visit Vatican?

We'll be arriving in Rome on Sunday (in October) and departing Wednesday for our cruise... that leaves us two full days for touring Rome. I want to set aside a full day to visit Vatican City (St. Peter's, museums, Sistine Chapel and the Scavi Tour) so we don't feel rushed. I need to choose between Monday and Tuesday. Is there any difference in crowds, etc. between these days? I want to call and make tour reservations. Thanks!

I could be wrong, but think that the Vatican Museum is closed on Monday, as are many of the museums in Rome. Since you will be there in October, perhaps the # of tourists will be less than in high summer.

We have been to rome in November and found the crowd in St. Peter's smaller than we expected. We were there early in the AM, however. Was just there in March, during the school vacation trips to Rome and tho it was crowded , it was managable. Have vistited it w/wo a tour guide. The TG explanations add an important dimension to your understanding of St. Peter's.

Re: Vatican Museum--there always seems to be a crowd waiting, but everyone seems to get in. Entrance hours differ depending on the season. hmh

I could be wrong, but think that the Vatican Museum is closed on Monday, as are many of the museums in Rome. Since you will be there in October, perhaps the # of tourists will be less than in high summer.

We have been to rome in November and found the crowd in St. Peter's smaller than we expected. We were there early in the AM, however. Was just there in March, during the school vacation trips to Rome and tho it was crowded , it was managable. Have vistited it w/wo a tour guide. The TG explanations add an important dimension to your understanding of St. Peter's.

Re: Vatican Museum--there always seems to be a crowd waiting, but everyone seems to get in. Entrance hours differ depending on the season. hmh

You know, I think you're right! I've bought several tour books and didn't even check before posting. I'll see about booking for Tuesday. Maybe we'll do the Colosseum/Forum on Monday.

Cathy,

Vatican Museum is closed on Sundays. Except for the last Sunday of the month, when it is open and admission is free. But if you are looking to avoid crowds, don't even think about going on the free day. But that doesn't coincide with your dates anyway.

BTW, if it is not in your guide book selection yet, pick up a copy of Rick Steves' "Rome 2005". His section on The Vatican Museum is excellent, as well as other attractions. Good reading.

I don't think you will find an easy time to visit right now. We were there on Sat May 28 and Sunday May 29 (the only Sunday of the month the Vatican was open) and the lines on both days wrapped around over 5 city blocks. With the Pope's burial, I think the Vatican will be busier than usual for months to come.

We went to St Peters Square and the line there also was very long. We ended up not seeing either of the places and just took photos from the outside.

I picked up a Rick Steves book last year--I'll check the website to see if there are updates.

I was planning to do the museums with just an audioguide (I like setting my own pace) but maybe I should hire a tourguide to avoid the long lines?? I have to review the options! I was planning to book the Scavi tour but it may be too soon... we're on the October sailing of the Carnival Liberty.

Thanks for the advice! It's my first visit to Rome and I'm doing TONS of research!

• 3 weeks later...

There are private guides who can get you to the front of the lines, at least at the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel. We used MyRoma. And this was three days after the Pope died! Our guide met us at the museum entrance at 8:00. He bought our tickets and we were allowed to enter 45 minutes before everyone else. (There were others with privates guides going in too, but the regular line was around the block.) We never got into St. Peter's because of the viewing and the Vatican cancelled our tour of the crypt for obvious reasons. (We're still trying to get them to refund our money!)

Nanci,

Thanks... we're trying to figure out if the private guide is worth the extra expense. I'd almost prefer to rent the audio guide so that I can go at my own pace and save some money! But of course, we'd have to wait in that line!

Does that company have a web site? I've noticed that several of the tour operators provide a guide but you STILL have to wait in line to buy your tickets!

Thanks again!

Last year, papal audiences were held at 10:30 on Wednesday mornings. You can check the Vatican web site for this year's information.

That was the day (10/20, I think) that the Millenium docked near Rome (Cita ... whatever). We had arranged for a private driver in Rome and asked him specifically to get tickets for the audience. They are free (although there is a basket for donations) but they must be picked up the day before.

It turned out that instead of his regular audience (with thousands of people in the Paul VI Audience Building), the pope was announcing something, so it was moved to St. Peter's Square (which is actually an oval) so there could be thousands more people.

Our audience tickets would have gotten us seats, but we mistakenly stood next to a barrier instead which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Pope John Paul II rode past us in his pope-mobile (without plastic shield) and we were within 15 feet of him.

We're catholic and polish, so it was the highlight of our trip.

So my suggestion to you would be to pick up audience tickets on Tuesday when you're at the Vatican, and then catch a papal audience on Wednesday morning before catching your cruise.

Cher

Last year, papal audiences were held at 10:30 on Wednesday mornings. You can check the Vatican web site for this year's information.

That was the day (10/20, I think) that the Millenium docked near Rome (Cita ... whatever). We had arranged for a private driver in Rome and asked him specifically to get tickets for the audience. They are free (although there is a basket for donations) but they must be picked up the day before.

It turned out that instead of his regular audience (with thousands of people in the Paul VI Audience Building), the pope was announcing something, so it was moved to St. Peter's Square (which is actually an oval) so there could be thousands more people.

Our audience tickets would have gotten us seats, but we mistakenly stood next to a barrier instead which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Pope John Paul II rode past us in his pope-mobile (without plastic shield) and we were within 15 feet of him.

We're catholic and polish, so it was the highlight of our trip.

So my suggestion to you would be to pick up audience tickets on Tuesday when you're at the Vatican, and then catch a papal audience on Wednesday morning before catching your cruise.

Cher

Thanks, Cher... my friend was raised Catholic, so she'd probably really like this. Is that our best bet for getting tickets for an audience?

We recently returned from a week in Rome. Re the Vatican - the tour guide we had with Through Eternity Tours (fabulous) said the busiest days are Saturdays and Mondays (the day we went). Although he did not have priority entry for us, the lines for both the Vatican and St. Peter's were long but did not take more than 20-30 minutes. The lines are really to get through the security checks.

I would strongly advise that you take a tour, we also had the Rick Steves guide as did many others I saw in the Vatican and St. Peters, however with the large crowds and the need to keep moving along, you really do not have time to read and look, look and read. Our tour guide gave us insights into both places that were not in the guide book and really brought the place to life. It is so overwhelming that you really need someone with excellent knowledge. Many guides are available, we paid 40 Euro per person for a five hour tour, and even five hours was not really enough time to cover everything.

Thanks for the tour advice--I have the Rick Steves book and was hoping that the audio guide would be sufficient!

I'll talk to my friend to see if we can squeeze out some extra money for a tour guide.

Thanks again!

NanciEA

I was very happy to read your comments on MyRoma. We have them booked for tours of Rome and Florence in August, but have had problems finding other people who had used them. Your comments make me feel better.

Thanks very much!

Archived