I work, DH is Retired-I Love Cruising he doesn't so much....What to do?

wizard-of-roz

I love to cruise inbetween my work responsibilities. My job gives me the extra bucks to cruise, meet wonderful, like-minded folks and get out on the ocean [of which I adore!] My DH doesn't like to cruise, he accompanied me on 18 and then said "enough!" I, on the other hand, had only just begun.

I'm over 55 [not that that would make any difference, it's just a number albeit a double-digit, higher number....it's still just a number!]

I started cruising with friends, family and then by myself [that was fun!] And, I found that although it is really fun sharing a cruise with a "lover" type person....there can be lots and lots to do with family & friends too!

You're really never alone for long when you cruise. People are so friendly and if you keep a smile on your face and welcome engaging conversation with a stranger soon you'll find you have a friend.

Of course, I do cruise with an 80 pound Service Dog, which tends to open up all kinds of conversations with all kinds of different folks....young and old.

Don't be shy if your over 55 and you've been thinking about taking a cruise and no one wants to go with you.....Go yourself, bring along a book that you've always wanted to read just to have something to do inbetween those fabulous meals, the great entertainment, the wonderful movies, the bingo or trivia games and of course the sparkling conversations you'll have with a wonderful new found friend!!!!! :)

Hi Roz!

It's been almost a year since Ive been on Cruisecritic and while my youngest naps, I'm here daydreaming of cruising and that is what brought me here today. :) Im so happy to have found you, ( no Im not a stalker...lol) although you probably don't remember me with so many people on these boards. We've never actually met but your love for cruising, life and Brenda is what made me admire much about you. I hope you are doing well, as is gorgeous Brenda. No doubt Horton has some big shoes to fill :)

I just wanted to drop in and say hello and Im glad you are still very much enjoying the cruising lifestyle.

Take excellent care!

Michelle

You've got the perfect attitude and your dog is gorgeous!;)

Maureen, thank you. The dog in my avatar is Brenda. She is now 13 years old and stays home with DH, as they're both retired! She is the love of my life [when it comes to dogs!]

Brenda worked very hard for me for a very long time and made me feel safe in the big world. She had finised 15 cruises before Horton came along [one year ago.] He'll be on his 3rd cruise in March and just like Brenda has brought many, many wonderful new friends into my life.

Hi Roz!

It's been almost a year since Ive been on Cruisecritic and while my youngest naps, I'm here daydreaming of cruising and that is what brought me here today. :) Im so happy to have found you, ( no Im not a stalker...lol) although you probably don't remember me with so many people on these boards. We've never actually met but your love for cruising, life and Brenda is what made me admire much about you. I hope you are doing well, as is gorgeous Brenda. No doubt Horton has some big shoes to fill :)

I just wanted to drop in and say hello and Im glad you are still very much enjoying the cruising lifestyle.

Take excellent care!

Michelle

Michelle, how lovely you are! I do remember you and love that you're keeping up with my furbabies and their adventures.

Brenda is doing very well [thank you for asking.] She stays at home with Morey and enjoys her days of leisure.

When Horton and I come home she comes off her couch and greets us. I think of her as my very own Betty White......Brenny is also 91 years old and is as perky and cute as she was when she was 2. Her muzzle is a whole lot grayer and she doesn't move as swiftly as she used to but she's my darling and I treasure every day she's in my life. She tolerates Horton and his antics [the spinning cirlces he does when he sees her, the way he tears-up her toys and the licks he gives her, every chance he gets!] He makes us all smile! :)

Please come back every once in a while and let me know how you're doing, it's great to hear from you.

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, love to cruise. Now that my children are older, I try to snag them when I can, to travel with me. Tell me more about the tips/tricks of travelling solo. What kind of rooms do you book? Where's the best place to mingle and make new friends?

Any advice welcomed!

Jan:)

I, too, love to cruise. Now that my children are older, I try to snag them when I can, to travel with me. Tell me more about the tips/tricks of travelling solo. What kind of rooms do you book? Where's the best place to mingle and make new friends?

Any advice welcomed!

Jan:)

Weezer [how cute is your name?], I find that if I get a cabin with a veranda I'm more prone to staying on it and not mingling with the other guests, it also cuts into my budget more. So, depending on the destination, I will get an inside. Going to Hawaii I will probably get a veranda and force myself to get out and meet others.

I love to sit right outside the Explorers lounge or on the Promenade Deck. Most like-minded folks will either sit there or are walking by and we strike up a conversation, it's usually about my Service Dog or the book I'm reading. I also enjoy sitting in the International Cafe area and again I meet wonderful people there. As a matter of fact, I'm cruising in March with a family that I met on my last cruise, in the IC.

Sitting around the pool area, either in the sun or in the shade also gives you a chance to meet others.

I bring along my Tridominoe game and teach someone I've talked to how to play it and before long we're engaged in the game and set a time to meet each other to play again.

I get an ice cream cone and sit in the shade and before you know it someone will come by and ask where I got it and we're talking.

There are tons of opportunities to start-up a conversation with someone; keep that smile on your face and be open to meet & greet and you will.

Hi Roz,

I have recently acquired a Hearing service dog. He's a 7 lb maltese/yorkie who works as my ears since they are failing fast. I'm thinking about trying to take him on our next cruise. Any thoughts?

What's to think about? There is paperwork to fill out; lots of copies to make; a Vet visit; contacting the Special Needs Dept. of your cruiseline; setting-up the pottybox and then you'll have to get ready for a lot of attention, questions, never having enough time to get where you're going because everyone wants to know, "how did you get your pet onboard?"

Go to "Disabled Cruising" in Cruise Critic and look for my blog on "Cruising with a Service Dog Everything You Ever Wanted to Know", there are hundreds and hundreds of answers to anything and everything you'll ever have questions about. And, lots of wonderful [i mean truly wonderful] folks who are willing to answer all your questions.

Most of the people on the thread have SD's and have taken their dogs all over the world. It's so much fun and certainly makes your life richer and fuller!

I have met some of the most amazing and wonderful people who I've met at the dock and cruised with [never knowing them before] from Cruise Critic and my blog.

Seriously, anyone who loves dogs and is a Puppy Raiser, how could you not love her and want to cruise with her?

I'm cruising in March with a family I met on my last cruise, in October, through my SD, "Horton."

You will love cruising with your Service Dog!

Have enjoyed reading this thread. Horton is one lucky dog - not only does he get to cruise, but it sounds like he's doing it with a really great lady!!

Have a wonderful next cruise and many, many more :)

So sweet! Your words touched me. Thank you. I hope that one day we will meet onboard a cruise.

With Love & Licks,

Roz & Horton

Archived