After dinner attire for the Celebration

kdickers

I'm STILL trying to finish up packing and I'm having to pare down my wardrobe a little but I've got a question for all you veteran CCL travelers (especially any just off the Celebration). What does everyone normally wear to the evenings(after dinner) activities.

Does everyone change back into shorts . . . wear the same clothes from dinner or put on other "party" clothes??? HELP!!!!

We always stay dressed in whatever the dress code for the evening is, but have seen many change after dinner. I have to say, though that it seem kind of odd especially if you have late seating dinner as we always do to see folks walking around in shorts and sneaks when you are all decked out. That said though, you should do whatever you're comfortable with - it's your vacation. Have fun.

I don't know the rules and/or the standard operating procedures for most lines, but HAL does request that you stay in the dress code for the entire evening. That being said, there are as many rule breakers as rule followers.

But I just love to walk around the ship and see everyone all dressed to the nines. The cruise is your fairy tale vacation: live it that way.

susan.

The requested attire on all cruiselines is for the evening, not just the dining room. The ship's newspaper will tell you "evening dress guidelines" as opposed to "dining room guidelines"

Some people follow the rules/guidelines and some don't. Unless you're going for an activity that requires other attire, like a late night swim, I don't see why anyone changes.

On most ships people stay dressed in their evening clothes. So why not cut down on excess luggage AND look elegant all evening? :)

Jane

For me, it just doesn't make sense to pack two outfits for the evening. I just wear whatever I wear to dinner for the entire night. I want to keep my packing simple, but if I have to pack more clothes just because some change after dinner just isn't something I want to do.

THANKS everyone!!!! I've just about got my suitcase under the weight limit AND . . . consolidated my drs bag and cosmetic bag into my 21 inch so I could through in my pop too and not have to worry about running around to get some once we got to Jacksonville.

You're info has REALLY helped me!!!!

I stay in the suggested evening attire if I am going to go to a show or lounge. If I am going to just sit out on my balcony, take a walk out on deck, or grab a bite to eat in the Windjammer, I do change into something more casual.

I never could understand why people would change after dinner. Yes, of course, if I am going to hang out on my balcony I would de-glam but otherwise, I always wear clothes that are comfortable, no matter how formal, so I am good to go for the evening.

I never could understand why people would change after dinner. Yes, of course, if I am going to hang out on my balcony I would de-glam but otherwise, I always wear clothes that are comfortable, no matter how formal, so I am good to go for the evening.

So are you saying that after eating in the DR where I do dress as suggested, its wrong to change into more casual clothes that would be better suited for a walk out on deck or grabbing a late night bite to eat in the Windjammer? Correct me if I am wrong because I have never eaten a dinner at the Windjammer, but isn't it for the people who dont want to dress up? You are not required to be in full glam mode to eat there.

I have seen dresses fly up in the air walking out on deck or going up a flight of stairs on a breezy night. I have also seen a woman twist her ankle because she was wearing strappy sandals and she slipped on a wet deck.

If I am not going to any of the evening events, lounge, bar, or disco - What is wrong with changing? How will that effect you while you are in those areas? The way you make it sound, you can dress down to eat in the Windjammer but to walk around the decks, you must be dressed up.

I will most likely change into more casual clothes later in the evening. I am dressing in a floor length, full skirted gown for the first formal night and plan to stay in it for the shows, but there is no way I can dance (until the wee hours of the morning) at the disco in it. We are young and like to really dance to the hip hop type songs, and a gown just won't work for that. ;)

Sorry everyone . . . I guess I should have been more explicit!!

I guess I was more referring to the "resort casual" nights?? If I wear a nice capri outfit or skirt/top to dinner I can wear that to any show/disco I attend that night . . . On the other hand . . . On formal night I probably will change into a more "resort casual" outfit after dinner before I hit the disco.

Is that wrong??? I'm just trying to really pare down my packing but want to make sure I've got enough of what I want to wear since I'll also be staying another 4-5 days in FL afterwards.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion here. For me...one of the things I was looking forward to was walking around the deck at night, in my formal gown. Just a girlie fantasy I suppose, but nevertheless...

I absolutely stayed in my gowns both of the evenings. The wind did kick up one night, and my full skirt blew out a bit - but to me, that was just part of the special fun. I just loved it.

In fact, I know that most posters here say they stay dressed up, but on my 4 previous cruises, I see more people change back into casual than stay dressed up. Since we are late traditional seating, we get dressed up later, eat dinner, go to the show after dinner in our formal wear and then back to the room to change and go out on deck for a late night swim/drink or whatever we feel like doing... In fact, I think ALOT of the early seating people don't stay in their formal wear for 5 hours....If they eat at 5:30....I don't see them all still dressed by 10:00 at night...Anyway you look at it, you definitely won't stand out if you change out of your dressy attire!

Just have fun and relax!

June

I change into a less formal attire. Most of the time just keeping on my button down from dinner and changing from Khakies to Jeans. But this is from a teens point of view. Who wants to go to the deck party in nice clothes?? The only thing i can see staying in dinner attire for is for the show; The danceclubs, and deck parties, i think should be more informal. But maybe thats just what younger cruisers think...

-Rob 17m

So are you saying that after eating in the DR where I do dress as suggested, its wrong to change into more casual clothes that would be better suited for a walk out on deck or grabbing a late night bite to eat in the Windjammer? Correct me if I am wrong because I have never eaten a dinner at the Windjammer, but isn't it for the people who dont want to dress up? You are not required to be in full glam mode to eat there.

I have seen dresses fly up in the air walking out on deck or going up a flight of stairs on a breezy night. I have also seen a woman twist her ankle because she was wearing strappy sandals and she slipped on a wet deck.

If I am not going to any of the evening events, lounge, bar, or disco - What is wrong with changing? How will that effect you while you are in those areas? The way you make it sound, you can dress down to eat in the Windjammer but to walk around the decks, you must be dressed up.

I cannot find the word "wrong" anywhere in my post. I have never chosen to have dinner in Windjammer so cannot speak for those that do. In fact, I never mention Windjammer in my post.

I could care less if you change or not. I was expressing my point of view. I do not change after dinner. I am comfortable in what I chose to wear to the dining room, on the deck and in the public areas. And I do not wear shorts or jeans in public rooms after dinner.

Archived