Porthole on Splendor 12/27/13????

murphfam4

I had a porthole on the Freedom and I loved it. There were 2 port holes and plenty of view, especially for an inside cabin price. Now, I always look at these first but there aren't many available and they go fast it seems. My cabin was exactly like an ocean view w/ the only difference being the obvious port holes instead of a window.

Thanks... How was the noise? I am getting concerned after reading that they can be very noisy.

There were a few nights when the waves crashing into the bow of the ship was REALLY loud...I was lying there with the image of Godzilla rising up from the ocean and banging on the ship (weird thought I know). I had forgotten about that. I was awakened throughout the night on those couple of nights. The weather was a bit rough and we were cruising along at a good pace when this happened. This is not something that would prevent me from wanting those rooms again, obviously, but it's something for others to consider.

I traveled in a porthole cabin on the Glory in Sept 2012 from NYC to Canada. I really liked the cabin. We had 2 rough nights and the noise of the waves can get a little loud but luckily I am a sound sleeper so it did not bother my sleep. What is even louder than the waves is when we got into each port when they slowed the ship down and you heard what seemed to be the lowering of the anchor and slowing the ship down??? If you want to sleep later on port days you may not want a port hole cabin. I did sleep later on port days and it did wake me up but this little inconvenience did not outweigh having a port hole cabin at an inside price. The port hole rooms did seem to have more sqare feet than a regular inside cabin so that is an added bonus. I will definitely get port hole cabins in the future.

I am also booked on Spendor but on the Jan 20th 2014 8 day NYC sailing to Florida/Bahamas. I already have a port hole cabin booked. I can't wait.

Johnspo - Thanks... I booked 2 of them for the same but on Dec. 27th. We are more worried about the ship sounds than the waves. Have you ever left out of NY in the winter? Wondering how the water will be. We did but in the summer.

We were in 2211 on Splendor two years ago. It was a single bed and a sofa that was comfortable to sleep on.

The only noise we noticed was in the morning on port days, there was some clunking commotion for a few minutes. We're early risers, so we were already up for the day. It would not scare me away from booking the same room again. The noise may be worse on the first deck than the second--someone else may be able to help with this.

In fact, I had booked a porthole again for our upcoming cruise but I got a good upsell offer to a oceanview so we're moving up a bit.

Portholes are the best value on the ship, IMO--1A price with the space and light of an OV.

I have photos of the room posted on cruise line rooms and flickr.

No I never left NYC in the winter, only in the fall going north to Canada. It was mentioned by the crew that our sailing was considered to be calmer waters than normal. I am preparing for our Jan 2014 Florida Bahamas sailing to be rougher than the fall Canada sailing. I probably will bring Dramamine or something similar. I have never used it but I have heard those winter sailings can be rough.

No I never left NYC in the winter, only in the fall going north to Canada. It was mentioned by the crew that our sailing was considered to be calmer waters than normal. I am preparing for our Jan 2014 Florida Bahamas sailing to be rougher than the fall Canada sailing. I probably will bring Dramamine or something similar. I have never used it but I have heard those winter sailings can be rough.

Anyone sail out of New York to Florida/Bahamas in the winter? Wondering how rough it will be.

Looking to book porthole for Dec. 27, 2013 any help (suggestions) would be appreciated....

I would suggest you book the entire cabin, not just the porthole.

What kind of suggestions would you like? I just got off the Splendor. Here is a link to my review (with plenty of pictures). It might provide you with some information ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1777222

As I recall, it didn't last long. But of course it was two years ago and my memory sometimes fades over time. I do know that it in no way put a damper on my vacation. I just kept thinking about how much money I was saving and how I could now afford a couple extra drinks of the day. ;)

Seriously, it wasn't an all-day thing--maybe 15-30 minutes? And you'll be back a couple of rooms farther than we were, so that should help as well. I wish I could remember better. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 2 weeks later...
We were in 2211 on Splendor two years ago. It was a single bed and a sofa that was comfortable to sleep on.

The only noise we noticed was in the morning on port days, there was some clunking commotion for a few minutes. We're early risers, so we were already up for the day. It would not scare me away from booking the same room again. The noise may be worse on the first deck than the second--someone else may be able to help with this.

In fact, I had booked a porthole again for our upcoming cruise but I got a good upsell offer to a oceanview so we're moving up a bit.

Portholes are the best value on the ship, IMO--1A price with the space and light of an OV.

I have photos of the room posted on cruise line rooms and flickr.

I found the pictures on flickr!!! Thanks!

I had a porthole ages ago on one of the older (smaller) ships. I don't even recall which one, but I have another one booked right now. For the price of an inside, it's nice to have some natural light and a minimal view to at least check the weather. The noise is loud, but isn't bad as long as you are prepared for it and doesn't last too long. However, I'm watching prices and hope to upgrade us before sailing. We've been spoiled by having balconies and regular oceanviews and would like a better view (and if prices come down enough, fresh air.)

Archived