leaving from NYC end of june, back on the 4th of july - need hotel/activity advice

don pablo

We are looking for suggestions for a stay in new work for both pre and post cruise

We are 2 adults and 1 teen (15) driving in from Montreal and cruising out on the Splendor June 26th, returning July 4th.

For pre cruise, we are thinking of arriving the 25th,

option 1 is to stay in the Meadowland, NJ area (we already stayed at the Holiday Inn/Paterson plank/ Carlstad $142/night), staying a night, then drive to alliance parking @16/night

option 2 is to stay somewhere midtown for the night, leaving the car at alliance parking @16/night and taxing to the hotel, and taxing to the cruiseport the next morning

Post cruise we would like to stay (treat ourselves) in town so I can maximise the July the 4th celebrations into the night... I would leave car at alliance until we leave the Saturday or Sunday (6th or 7th)

We have never July fourth’d before and we would like to take it in, especially the fireworks. What suggestion do you have?

Some of the things we would like to do while in NYC is the USS intrepid, Times Square, little Italy, Canal street, maybe an art museum, and maybe a show, ground zero, central park.

Paul

My first thought is, considering the amount you'd be spending on parking a car you really don't need for this vacation, is: price the train. Unless you have an overwhelming desire to stop in Plattsburgh on the way home ;), I think the train would end up a simpler and cost-effective solution.

I'll have to ponder the hotel thing a bit, as my usual suggestion is 2-per-room - the triple room in NYC will be the challenge.

I agree....i would almost take the train and not fiddle with the car....

will have to think about hotels...they will likely be costly on July 4th...we love our NYC fireworks...expect HUGE crowds..

(honestly i would park myself in my hotel and watch on TV....better view....) That said, there are places to see them....if you google New York City July 4th fireworks, you'll likely find at LEAST last year's info which will have suggestions for viewing...

Actually, I ran the numbers. Driving and parking vs train is cheaper (not by much), the train is 11 hours (not including getting to the Montreal train station) vs 6 to 7 hours driving. And never underestimate the value of cross boarder shopping (I could recoup a major part of gas/parking expense just in groceries)

Any ideas on hotels? Areas to stay (and stay away from)?

I have read a bit on the 4th of July in NYC, but sometimes local input beats advertising driven we sites

Paul

• 2 months later...

I just confirmed my last reservation.

Pre cruise (june 25th) I booked the Holiday inn Secaucus meadowlands (park stay and go/king bed with sleeper sofa) for $264 (303.60 with taxes)

with it I get up to 14 nights free parking

post cruise (july 4th to 6th) I have queen suite (queen/sleeper sofa) at the BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square for 2 nights for $511 ($593 with taxes).

from the Holiday Inn, can I take the NJ transit #320 with luggage [2 pieces 1 large, 1 small) to the port authority bus terminal and then grab a cab?

for the way back, I plan on hopping on the NJ transit 320 back to Secaucus and driving back to the hotel to get the family)

any thoughts on my plans? better ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

try the embassy suites in the meadowlands area. they may have parking as well.

I did look at that hotel (it is right next door to the holiday inn) the price was higher ($320 before tax for the park stay and cruise) but they include a shuttle to the port. I priced dial7 car service to the port at $48, so 6 to 1 half dozen to the other ...

Thanks

Paul

On the East River instead of the Hudson River. Seeing it in person is so much better than watching it on television. Bring a FM radio so you can hear the radio broadcast patriotic music that accompanies it. I believe they close the FDR highway to accommodate the people viewing it.

is it Macy's that hosts the fireworks? their web site does not list where it will be held yet.

http://social.macys.com/fireworks/?cm_mmc=VanityUrl-_-fireworks-_-n-_-n

What would be good viewing areas? and how early should I be there to take our spots?

Bring a FM radio

it is good to know that they broadcast the music. having attend many of Montreal International Fireworks competitions , hearing the music while seeing the fireworks make the experience completely different.

Thanks

Paul

Archived