Dog Sledding/White Pass Rail AM or PM?

fireflymd

I'm not sure which would be better booked in the morning--

We would like to do the Dog Sledding on Glacier as well as Chilkoot's 3 1/2 hour tour White Pass Summit Rail & Bus excursion in Skagway.

I think I've booked them too close together:

White Pass Summit Rail & Bus 8:30 to 12:00 (they will drop us off at the pier)

Dog Sledding on Glacier 12:45 to 2:45 (they will pick us up from pier)

I think DH would prefer a more relaxed pace--I could book the Dog Sledding in the morning and change the Rail excursion to the afternoon. Just not sure if there is any advantage/disadvantage to the time of day.

Here is the deal - the train/bus trip will run rain or shine - the helicopter will only fly in good weather and is the most cancelled trip type in Alaska - no matter which port. BTW you can do the heli/dogsled tour out of Juneau as well - they use the same icefield as it is about the same distance from either port. I am not sure how Carnival handles cancellations - but I would have a plan B for any flightseeing excursion.

If you want more details on the tour visit http://temscoair.com/glacier_tours.php

FWIW we did the dog sled first flight of the day with TEMSCO out of Skagway. Yes it is often canceled, and thus nice to schedule bright and early thus if canceled you sleep in and you can still do a full day of stuff.

They run this like clock work, there is no best time for dog sledding its the weather and it can be bad in the AM and good in PM or vice versa, IMHO.

For us we were luck, beautiful, YMMV

Here is the deal - the train/bus trip will run rain or shine - the helicopter will only fly in good weather and is the most cancelled trip type in Alaska - no matter which port. BTW you can do the heli/dogsled tour out of Juneau as well - they use the same icefield as it is about the same distance from either port. I am not sure how Carnival handles cancellations - but I would have a plan B for any flightseeing excursion.

If you want more details on the tour visit http://temscoair.com/glacier_tours.php

FWIW we did the dog sled first flight of the day with TEMSCO out of Skagway. Yes it is often canceled, and thus nice to schedule bright and early thus if canceled you sleep in and you can still do a full day of stuff.

They run this like clock work, there is no best time for dog sledding its the weather and it can be bad in the AM and good in PM or vice versa, IMHO.

For us we were luck, beautiful, YMMV

Thanks, folks. My other concern is that grabbing lunch between the two excursions will not happen (especially with a Celiac in our party), so it will likely be meal bars between excursions. I actually think my whole family would be okay with that--it's just the hectic pace DH may object to. On top of that he is not really interested in the dog sledding excursion, so I really, really hope it is worth it and he enjoys it, especially since I have made these bookings so close together.

Then again, it's always possible that if I change the schedule to the morning dogsledding, with a few hours until the afternoon rail/bus excursion, that we will be just wandering around the streets of Skagway with little to do, waiting for the next excursion. At least this way we will be done with our excursions by 2:45, and everyone can rest for the rest of the afternoon.

Ah, it's so hard to know what might work out better.

Yowza - that is a lot of $$$ to spend on the dog sledding excursion for your DH if he isn't interested in going! Why not split up for the second half of the day - with DH, and perhaps anyone else in your party who is not interested, going off on their own to do something that may interest them more? That way everyone does what they want to do and less dollars are spent to boot! Win-win!:D

Yowza - that is a lot of $$$ to spend on the dog sledding excursion for your DH if he isn't interested in going! Why not split up for the second half of the day - with DH, and perhaps anyone else in your party who is not interested, going off on their own to do something that may interest them more? That way everyone does what they want to do and less dollars are spent to boot! Win-win!:D

I actually think he will love it! And if he doesn't, at the very least, we were together as a family.:D

For us it was sleddding in the morning, dropped off in downtown skagway for snacks and visiting the stores and museum etc. Then back to the ship for lunch and we had plenty of time to consider the train. We actually passed that and just went back to town.

Not sure who wouldn't like a ride in a heli, see some spectacular views, land, visit some cutiest puppies on earth, meet some great dogs and go for a ride... No question pricey, the cost for 5 was :eek: but it was all smiles afterwards... highlight to this day for the kids and us kids at heart

1417672651_560Gettingreadytotakeoff.jpg.de591cef6aabd8e56a6e6c23596fae04.jpg

2077985345_605DogCamp1stoftheday830am.jpg.190eaea88ec8f5a44f5d181167b32e71.jpg

1616100141_625Meetingourdogs.jpg.c3e971f1a32289be486ae3f1d3e895c2.jpg

1367652941_675DogSledding.jpg.027923bc374fa27b9f6867300f7b16fc.jpg

1539224297_680Meetingthepups.jpg.89ef0ffb6bc99960ff3dc959acc3c1ca.jpg

For us it was sleddding in the morning, dropped off in downtown skagway for snacks and visiting the stores and museum etc. Then back to the ship for lunch and we had plenty of time to consider the train. We actually passed that and just went back to town.

Not sure who wouldn't like a ride in a heli, see some spectacular views, land, visit some cutiest puppies on earth, meet some great dogs and go for a ride... No question pricey, the cost for 5 was :eek: but it was all smiles afterwards... highlight to this day for the kids and us kids at heart

This is what I keep hearing, and this is why I really want to do this. I think DH and my kids will really enjoy it.

And I loved your pictures! Thanks!

Archived