Dolphin swim and Doctors Cave Beach

ajenali

Dolphin Swim - hit about my waist or below -- I'm 5 foot 7 in

That is the shallowest side -- where you have hugs/kisses/dancing with them for less $$ for encounter

The part where they let you swim with the dolphins a little deeper I'm sure

It was in our top 3 happy places of the over 30 we have done all over that island while on land vacations.

Dr Cave beach also shallow - you can see fishies at your toes

If you're concerned about your swimming ability, go for the "dolphin encounter and doctors cave" instead of the "dolphin swim".

On the encounter, you'll get to touch and "kiss" the dolphin, but they're not going to tow you across the cove.

For the encounter, you step onto a platform at the dock that is 3-4 foot deep, and the dolphins will approach you and do their thing. For the swim you're out in the cove, and I believe I heard the guides say the water is at last 14 feet deep to keep the dolphins happy. The dolphins will tow you across it after playing with you. You'll have on a life vest, but if you're not comfortable in the water, stick with the encounter.

Also expect upsells galore on this tour. You can't take your camera out to the dolphin area, they're going to sell you photos. They'll also try to upsell you a $50 (or more if they're getting a lot of takers) shark swim.

And as is the case with almost all Jamaica tours, expect your guide and bus driver to try to make a stop at a souvenir shop that they recommend (get kick backs from). Trust me, that's the last place you want to buy souvenirs or duty free stuff, it's marked up to cover the spiff. Any time your tour spends in there is time you do NOT get on Doctor's Cave beach.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Dr. Cave Beach. The beach was great, but we paid for chairs and then when we got to our chairs they were crappy except for one, so two of us went and got a refund and just put our towels on the sand. There was also some shade to be had without an umbrella, so that worked out o.k. We were also immediately offered drugs as soon as we stepped out of the bus and as I was strolling down the beach. It was definitely a nice beach for swimming though, and I would recommend it. The bus cost $5 one way from the pier.

If you're concerned about your swimming ability, go for the "dolphin encounter and doctors cave" instead of the "dolphin swim".

On the encounter, you'll get to touch and "kiss" the dolphin, but they're not going to tow you across the cove.

For the encounter, you step onto a platform at the dock that is 3-4 foot deep, and the dolphins will approach you and do their thing. For the swim you're out in the cove, and I believe I heard the guides say the water is at last 14 feet deep to keep the dolphins happy. The dolphins will tow you across it after playing with you. You'll have on a life vest, but if you're not comfortable in the water, stick with the encounter.

Also expect upsells galore on this tour. You can't take your camera out to the dolphin area, they're going to sell you photos. They'll also try to upsell you a $50 (or more if they're getting a lot of takers) shark swim.

And as is the case with almost all Jamaica tours, expect your guide and bus driver to try to make a stop at a souvenir shop that they recommend (get kick backs from). Trust me, that's the last place you want to buy souvenirs or duty free stuff, it's marked up to cover the spiff. Any time your tour spends in there is time you do NOT get on Doctor's Cave beach.

We bought a photo of each of us years ago - kissing our dolphin -- best vacation pictures EVVVVER! Just don't buy the DVD! $$$$

Archived