Feedback on Lamanai Ruins and River Safari Requested

FloatOnMJC

Cruising on the Norwegian Dawn in April and the Lamanai Ruins (after some preliminary research we think this is our pick for Belize-- cave tubing was a close second, but we're going to do the Amazing Secret River in Cozumel). Looking for additional thoughts, suggestions, feedback, and reccomendations regading the Lamanai Ruins and River Safari tour (pictures would be great too!). Thanks!!:)

My wife and I did the Lamanai Ruins two years ago...it was worth it. A drive to the river (and they will stop at the store if you want to buy beer or snacks) A boat ride, at high speed up a winding river (which was awesome) you're in the jungle. When we landed at Lamanai, lunch was provided with bottled water. Very nice. Then a tour through the ruins. There are over 400 buildings--its huge. And there are wild monkeys playing overhead as you walk around.

We were worried about getting back to the cruise in time. But they were very aware of the time, and had us back with more than an hour to spare. I think Lamanai are probably the best ruins to visit in one day.

My wife and I did that excursion last year when we did a Christmas cruise on Mariner of the Seas.

It was fantastic! We booked through the cruiseline since the excursion plus the round trip is a long day. It's a good thing we did since our bus was about 45 min. late getting back to the ship.

My wife put a slide show together that you might enjoy. It will open and play by itself when you click on the link below. But if you want to go through it faster, you can click on the thumbnails one at a time.

Lamanai Shore Excursion

Happy Sailing! It's a great way to explore the world.

Thank you DangerMouse ...just what I was hoping to hear. AMAZING slide show just what I was hoping to see, thank you (and your wife) JimAOK!! We're definitely going to book the excursion through Norwegian--such a long day and distance and I think it's better to play it safe than sorry!! We're excited that these ruins are hands (or feet) on...and you cant go wrong with some monkey spectators in my book :)

Cruising on the Norwegian Dawn in April and the Lamanai Ruins (after some preliminary research we think this is our pick for Belize-- cave tubing was a close second, but we're going to do the Amazing Secret River in Cozumel). Looking for additional thoughts, suggestions, feedback, and reccomendations regading the Lamanai Ruins and River Safari tour (pictures would be great too!). Thanks!!:)

Hahaha...I literally have the same planning process as you! Going next week and will report back with our decision and experience! Happy cruising!

Carribbean - Carnival Glory - July 2007

Mexican Riviera - Norwegian Star - April 2011

Alaska/Glacier Bay - Golden Princess - July 2011

Bermuda - Norwegian Star - August 2012

Bahamas - Carnival Imagination - October 2012

Western Caribbean - Norwegian Star - February 2013

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Msvegas23&date=2-17-2013&text=&ship=Norwegian Star

MsVegas- Very cool! Nice to "meet" you and hope you have an A M A Z I N G trip!! Are you cruising with NCL on the Dawn, or with another line/ship? Doing both Lamanai Ruins and the Secret River? - if so, lucky me and thanks in advance for your thoughts on each :) . I think we're doing Maya Key in Rotan, we def. doing Lamanai in Belize, we're not super excited about any of the offerings in Costa Maya (so we might just wait and play that port by ear) and in Cozumel "the Amazing Secret River". I've spent a lot of time researching each and think we've got an awesome agenda very much suited to our personal tastes.

Here's another thread you might enjoy pre-cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1607674&goto=newpost

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

• 3 weeks later...

We didn't end up doing Lamanai. We went to Caye Caulker which was Amazing! The Secret River in Cozumel was such an awesome excursion! Very cool and unique experience...well worth the money! Had a great group and tour guide also...named Lia. Have sooooo much fun. Wish I could cruise all over again! BTW I was on the NCL Star. Same ports as the Dawn, but different order. You will dock right next to the Star in Cozumel which is so fun. The crews compete for most cheerful when they welcome you back...The Star is pretty phenomenal :) Enjoy!

Carribbean - Carnival Glory - July 2007

Mexican Riviera - Norwegian Star - April 2011

Alaska/Glacier Bay - Golden Princess - July 2011

Bermuda - Norwegian Star - August 2012

Bahamas - Carnival Imagination - October 2012

Western Caribbean - Norwegian Star - February 2013

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=Msvegas23&date=2-17-2013&text=&ship=Norwegian Star

We did Lamanai Ruins tour last July with Island Marketing--Carnival didn't offer the tour there and had great experiences at different ports with Island Marketing. It is simply the most fun and exciting tour I have seen. It is a long day, but the tour guide actually talked during the whole tour except the final drive back when it was sleepy time for most of us. :) It was a long drive through Belize, which gives ample time to actually see the country outside of the tourist areas, and a knowledgable guide kept us interested. The boat ride up the river was just AWESOME! Ummm...protect the driver with your life as you won't make it back out of that maze without him. The boat driver's wife provided lunch, a big (plenty to eat) delicious lunch that was amongst the best things I have ever eaten (and I've eaten alot). This out of the way ruin was so quiet. We were the only tour there. It is a lot of walking over uneven paths, but there is plenty of time to stop and sit if you need while others climb the temples. The guide was always aware of the time and reassured everyone of his spotless record returning guests to their ships on time. Go to Lamanai if you get the chance. It is a pretty unique excursion.

I would probably not recommend this tour to anyone with significant walking difficulties or in a wheelchair/scooter. And no babies unless you don't mind carrying them all the time. Unless there was some accommodations that I didn't see, those paths are not friendly to any type of wheels--from scooters to strollers. And toddlers will probably have to be carried also. There was a preteen in our group with a walking disability and she did great by holding her father's hand during the worst part of the trails. I hope I don't scare anyone away from this awesome tour, but just want to provide a bit of info if it helps someone decide.

We just returned from the February 16th sailing of the Liberty of the Seas. Our family of five took a tour to Lamanai with Island Marketing, and we had an amazing day! If you are up to a long day--it is so worth your time to explore this gem. The gem is half the fun--Belizian countryside and the New River are well worth the travel time. Our guide was knowledgeable and entertaining, and the lunch was delicious!

We did this excursion in 2011 while aboard the NCL Spirit. Booked thru the ship. For Belize, you probably can't beat this trip. It really brings a new meaning to the term "excursion." You really get to see the Belize countryside and our guide could not have been more informative/knowledgeable. I recommend it!

BTW...GREAT photos Jim!

We did Lamanai Ruins tour last July with Island Marketing--Carnival didn't offer the tour there and had great experiences at different ports with Island Marketing. It is simply the most fun and exciting tour I have seen. It is a long day, but the tour guide actually talked during the whole tour except the final drive back when it was sleepy time for most of us. :) It was a long drive through Belize, which gives ample time to actually see the country outside of the tourist areas, and a knowledgable guide kept us interested. The boat ride up the river was just AWESOME! Ummm...protect the driver with your life as you won't make it back out of that maze without him. The boat driver's wife provided lunch, a big (plenty to eat) delicious lunch that was amongst the best things I have ever eaten (and I've eaten alot). This out of the way ruin was so quiet. We were the only tour there. It is a lot of walking over uneven paths, but there is plenty of time to stop and sit if you need while others climb the temples. The guide was always aware of the time and reassured everyone of his spotless record returning guests to their ships on time. Go to Lamanai if you get the chance. It is a pretty unique excursion.

We are thinking of taking this tour in Dec.2013. How did you feel about time? Did you experience a long waiting period before the tour began? Thanks

Archived