One day car rental

JKTJL

We will be stopping in Grand Cayman for one day and are renting a car. We would like to drive around to different beaches and explore the island. We don't care about eating, we get enough food on the ship and will bring a snack. We just want to drive to somewhat secluded, but beautiful areas, relax on a beach, snorkel, etc. It sounds like the east end is the place to go. Any suggested stops or recommendations for planning our day would be appreciated!

We rented a car and explored the island when we visited in 2010. The car rental place we used was Cayman Auto Rentals. We walked from the dock a short distance, picked up the car & drove around, reminiscing about spending a week there on our honeymoon in 1998. We spent most of the time at Rum Point swimming with our daughter, then drove back stopping at various spots. A great way to spend the day away from tour groups.

Thanks for the info!

We were also wondering how long it would take to drive from the cruise port to Rum Point without any stops. We can see the distance on the map, but have no idea how long the trip might take. If we knew the actual driving time, we could better plan how much time we would have for stops. Also, about how long to drive up the western side of the island as well...Hell, etc.

We will be stopping in Grand Cayman for one day and are renting a car. We would like to drive around to different beaches and explore the island. We don't care about eating, we get enough food on the ship and will bring a snack. We just want to drive to somewhat secluded, but beautiful areas, relax on a beach, snorkel, etc. It sounds like the east end is the place to go. Any suggested stops or recommendations for planning our day would be appreciated!

I love CC, I come here with the near same question...in general about exploring GC on our own and find your post first thing!

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car from Cayman Auto Rentals in January 2012 and started heading to Rum Point but turned around about half way there because we were afraid the car we had might break down as it was not in the best of shape. We did not want to risk a breakdown that far from town.

We rented another one there, a Nissan Sentra, in November and headed to Pedro St James. When we were almost there the brakes went out. A front wheel cylinder was leaking. When we checked the brake fluid it was very dirty indicating neglect.

I very cautiously drove it back to the rental place with my buddy operating the parking brake to stop us. It was a very challenging experience. They offered to give us a discount, not a refund, on the rental or let us use a better car for the remainder of the day. We chose to use the rental just to go to 7 mile beach and back. They did give us about $5 discount for the day.

Next time I might try another rental place with newer cars.

Archived