Half Moon Cay Now has Villas for Rent

jus4fun

Fresh off the press at USA Today...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/02/05/holland-america-island-beach-villas/1892629/

Looks amazing.

We have rented a cabana on all 3 of our trips to HMC.

Never have had enough people to rent the huge private cabana.

These look like something in between and welcome to those who love the original 15 cabanas.

Bill

:( What ugly monstrosities on such a gorgeous beach. The pirate bar was bad enough but those things look way out of place.

3 of them are just replacing the equipment rental shack and all the boats and equipment strewn around the beach.

One of the remaining two, is blocking the bathroom's view to the beach and the other is in between like 12 and 13 or so.

Unless you are weird and like looking at a neighboring cabana, rather than the gorgeous water and sandy beach, these new cabanas shouldn't bother anybody's view.

Just took away a few of those great hammocks in between the old cabanas.

Bill

we go out on splendor in may and just rented one. We had a cabana last august which was very nice except for the people thinking that they could walk right through to get off the beach. We had cabana 1. When i looked this week the oasis which we were considering was already booked and all the cabanas also were booked. I then saw these new beach villas. I think they look nice and include a hot tub and snacks. There will be 11of us and will fit nicely in it even though they say only 8. People in our group are very pale and burn easily so we really need shade and the clam shells get hot when your in them for a while. I A am looking forward to the villa and staying on the best private island any cruise ship owns.

Our first time to HMC we also rented cabana #1 and had the same issue. Will never rent that one again.

Why not just run a building the entire length of the beach and be done with it?

They look horrible to me. To act like it is not a significant change is disingenuous. The existing cabanas are small structures set off quite a bit from the water. These are much wider two story structures closer to the water line and taking up a bigger portion of the beach.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

Why not just run a building the entire length of the beach and be done with it?

They look horrible to me. To act like it is not a significant change is disingenuous. The existing cabanas are small structures set off quite a bit from the water. These are much wider two story structures closer to the water line and taking up a bigger portion of the beach.

Where do you see them being closer to the waterline????

They appear to be the exact same distance and right in line with the existing cabanas.

189_zps64c5ba7c.jpg

They MAY appear closer, because the porches are covered on the new structures, not uncovered like the old.

The front of the new structures line up with the front of the old cabana's decks.

To me, the tons of loungers they pile on the beach in front of the cabanas is a bigger eyesore than another cabana to the side, that I am not even looking at.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Considering that there is 11 of us a villa is less than 50 a person which is reasonable. Iwould appreciate which one to get though if anyone actually has been there and seen them. I am afraid that the three that are together would be real loud since you have the ship bar next to it and there is music there. But also the further ones down the beach are a hike and we have someonne that does not walk well which we need to consider. I heard a cart would take you to them but when we were there in august and had a cabana we didn,t see any.

Where do you see them being closer to the waterline????

They appear to be the exact same distance and right in line with the existing cabanas.

They MAY appear closer, because the porches are covered on the new structures, not uncovered like the old.

The front of the new structures line up with the front of the old cabana's decks.

To me, the tons of loungers they pile on the beach in front of the cabanas is a bigger eyesore than another cabana to the side, that I am not even looking at.

Bill

They block the view, trust me... We had #13, and sitting on the steps, or in the loungers, couldn't look left down the beach because of the new villa next door. And no matter what you think from (my) photo, they do sit further forward on the beach than the existing cabanas. Also, the equipment rental shack is still there, between the pirate bar and the first of the three villas that are next to one another.

Edited by Jenbo57

we go out on splendor in may and just rented one. We had a cabana last august which was very nice except for the people thinking that they could walk right through to get off the beach. We had cabana 1. When i looked this week the oasis which we were considering was already booked and all the cabanas also were booked. I then saw these new beach villas. I think they look nice and include a hot tub and snacks. There will be 11of us and will fit nicely in it even though they say only 8. People in our group are very pale and burn easily so we really need shade and the clam shells get hot when your in them for a while. I A am looking forward to the villa and staying on the best private island any cruise ship owns.

Our first time to HMC we also rented cabana #1 and had the same issue. Will never rent that one again.

What is meant by this? are people walking in the front door of your cabana and out the back? or are they walking too close to "your" cabana?

If it's the second, is there a fence or a sign stating to stay away from the cabana's?... or is this some I-paid-for-my-cabana-and-expect-some-respect-and-privacy entitlement thing?

Going around the first cabana is a paved walkway where people that would come from the paved path that runs behind the cabanas. If you don,t know you could mistaken it for a paved path to the beach but it only goes to the side of our cabana. On the side of each cabana there is a open space where your lounge chairs are. People would constantly try and walk through the front of our cabana and go down our steps to get to the beach. We eventually layed a lounge chair in front of the opening. It did get agrivating after a while since most people would apologize when they realized what they were doing, but then some were incredibly rude and just have a snide comment and still do it. We even had one gentleman who went up the steps and through the cabana then when returning back from whereever he went he walked through it again, then about a half our later he proceeded back in and was about to use our private shower and thats when we make it perfectly clear to him that he was not welcome. It just was not very relaxing.

What is meant by this? are people walking in the front door of your cabana and out the back? or are they walking too close to "your" cabana?

If it's the second, is there a fence or a sign stating to stay away from the cabana's?... or is this some I-paid-for-my-cabana-and-expect-some-respect-and-privacy entitlement thing?

The further you are down the beach (higher cabana number), the less likely you are to have problems. Most folks don't want to have to walk very far. We did, however, have someone take one of our floats from our cabana when we were at lunch. When we got back and saw that it was missing, it wasn't too hard to figure out who had taken it. We approached the young lady and asked her where she'd gotten it; she said she had "found it". Hhmmm...

Hmmm, was just wondering if these newer two story cabanas will get booked as fast as the regular ones. And if they're not booked, I wonder if people will just walk in and try to "use" them. Based on some other posts, it seems lots of people just help themselves to the amenities even when they haven't paid for a cabana (floats, showers, etc).

We have a regular cabana booked for our cruise and am hoping to get a higher number so we are further away from the crowds.

It sounds like Carnival is ruining HAL's once exclusive private paradise.

How is Carnival ruining HAL's private island?

HAL is the company building the new two story cabanas and buying the new 200 pax glass bottom boat for the island.

Bill

How is Carnival ruining HAL's private island?

HAL is the company building the new two story cabanas and buying the new 200 pax glass bottom boat for the island.

Bill

Who owns HAL again?

How long before they start in a Steele Pier?

Edited by MrPete

They block the view, trust me... We had #13, and sitting on the steps, or in the loungers, couldn't look left down the beach because of the new villa next door. And no matter what you think from (my) photo, they do sit further forward on the beach than the existing cabanas. Also, the equipment rental shack is still there, between the pirate bar and the first of the three villas that are next to one another.

It looks like they built one next to the pink cabana which is the one we always choose. (as long as my path to the bathroom up the hill isn't blocked, I doubt we'll be affected.)

So how far out in front of the existing cabanas are they then?

If they are far enough out that Carnival can't place loungers in front of them, we might have to try those next time instead....

Do they obstruct your view of the beach and ocean or just the trees beside you cabana?

Bill

Any dissatisfaction with what's going on at Half Moon Cay should be directed to Holland America Cruise Lines as Holland America is the company that owns, maintains and operates the island.

Any Carnival Cruise Line ship that stops there is just an in-and-out day visitor.

But a in-and-out visitor with clout!:D

I'm sure that if CCL got enough complaints their COO could find HAL's COO's phone number somewhere.;)

Our second trip to HMC was the most idyllic leg of any of our Caribbean journeys so far - because of our splurge on the cabana rental. We had the pink one.

What I don't understand is why they put these behemoth villas where they did. Seems kind of senseless and crazy to me, to have parked them amongst the existing cabanas. I would think they could have created a "villa section" down beyond the 15th cabana. As is, they look crowded and ridiculous where they are now. I wonder if there's any way at all that these buildings could be moved to a less obtrusive location?

Our second trip to HMC was the most idyllic leg of any of our Caribbean journeys so far - because of our splurge on the cabana rental. We had the pink one.

What I don't understand is why they put these behemoth villas where they did. Seems kind of senseless and crazy to me, to have parked them amongst the existing cabanas. I would think they could have created a "villa section" down beyond the 15th cabana. As is, they look crowded and ridiculous where they are now. I wonder if there's any way at all that these buildings could be moved to a less obtrusive location?

Just wait for hurricane season.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked a villa for my May cruise, I am very excited about this villa. I think for what you get the price is fair. It comes to less then $70 per person. It also comes with snorkel gear and floating mats that would cost $22 by it self. I love the idea that it has a private hot tub and A/C. My family is going on this cruise to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary and I think the villa will make it special. They did sell out real fast I was lucky to get the last one.

We sail out the week before you on may 17 on splendor. I love half moon cay and last year we rented a cabana but we booked our cruise fairly late this year and all were taken. We really were going for the grand cabana for1500.00 but that also was taken. I was so happy to see the villas and booked one right away. I am shocked that as of today mine is the only one sold and there are 4 still left. We have older people with us so shade is a necessity. And with our group we have 8 adults and 2 kids so it comes to only 50.00 a person which is not bad. As of alot of the comments i don't think they ruin the beach and are as horrible as people say they are.

Hi crazcruiser

Most people don't know about the new villas yet, I heard about them on cruisecritic

We told my parents about it today and they are so excited about having one.

The grand cabana looks wonderful, it's just a little out of my price.

Enjoy your cruise and your villa!

Lynn

I booked a villa for my May cruise, I am very excited about this villa. I think for what you get the price is fair. It comes to less then $70 per person. It also comes with snorkel gear and floating mats that would cost $22 by it self. I love the idea that it has a private hot tub and A/C. My family is going on this cruise to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary and I think the villa will make it special. They did sell out real fast I was lucky to get the last one.

For a 50th anniversary and enough people helping a per person deal the main splurges like this are priceless, we would have just made the 16 rule then LOL.....my folks did theirs in Hawaii with all kids and families and the splurge things we did...a primo location real luau, an amazing snorkel and BBQ, 2 other NICE dinners out at resorts, and smaller groups for fishing and horse back riding...priceless, priceless..exhorbetent excursions but primo once in a lifetime..but we found great accomodations at good rate and enjoying taking turns cooking some meals in and easy beach picnic lunches....this would be great in giving your family a private day on the ship...congrats..my memories of a few years ago and that trip save me...congrats..so for it.

OH..professional pictures..try to set up on the ship or somewhere else photo settings with the grandparents big group and with each family, each family alone, all the sibs, then all the grandkids with granny and papa..all the combos...I am only single one and mom talked me into some special ones of me at 49 alone on the beach...just like each family unit..they are priceless, bonding everything to us as mom passed this summer and we enjoyed them for almost 4 years before this with her and they help..a focal in everyone's home....be sure to splurge for that on the ship or someplace...The Villa may be your photo place...

On the double deckers ,Would be nice if they did the rest further down I think, but it is a private Island for lots of people still..can't wait to see..anyways have fun..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Sarah

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It's sounds like you have wonderful memories of your mom.

I love the picture idea I'm going to tell my sister about it today.

We had a little party for my parents last night. My niece put together a scavenger hunt for them to find all cruise related gifts. We had all kinds of custom stuff made like shirts for the family, sweat shirts for the bride and groom, banners, beach bags with their wedding photo on them. Then we showed them all the pictures of the beach villa. Now the family is really getting excited for this cruise!

Lynn

Oh Lynn..thanks for sharing.

We loved each other alot...we grew through so much..and i was number one of 4 girls..it is really hard and a huge grace too in faith and growth...for sure the most profound thing I have been through. Thank you.

I am so excited for any family that is together..all the joy and/or struggles. Tonight I make the casserole for Sunday night..we now eat together..whoever wants to..on Sunday night..and will be fun to watch Oscars together...sure brings one closer to God, family, and what matters....thanks again for your kindness and sharing your plans...what cute cute ideas for the scavenger hunt and all...sooo great.

I believe in a special way she is with us and will see her again in heaven..sooo glad you like the photo idea..it was a huge gift of mom to us..lol the whole making the thing happening was her instigation and effort the most...you guys will never regret this,,how sweet of you to do it... Godspeed...Sarah

Edited by sjn911