New menu- what's the verdict?

big al

Yes to the savory bites, no to the pork medallions. On the first night there was a mojo pork chop that was good, especially the mojo sauce. The chocolate sensation is a cake that was covered in chocolate, but I think it also had some type of filling.

Sherri:)

The pork medallions were a favorite but I will have to find another I suppose. I wonder if the chocolate sensation is comparible to Carnivals warm melting cake? They offered it every night and is extremely easy to make. I will find out in 4 days :)

The pork medallions were a favorite but I will have to find another I suppose. I wonder if the chocolate sensation is comparible to Carnivals warm melting cake? They offered it every night and is extremely easy to make. I will find out in 4 days :)

I posted a picture of the Chocolate Sensation above. It's a cold dessert. It wasn't a cheesecake, but it wasn't a mousse either. I'm not sure how to describe it. Very tasty. But they did have a warm chocolate cake which I also posted a picture of. I'm not sure if it compares to Carnival's or not, but it was very good.

I posted a picture of the Chocolate Sensation above. It's a cold dessert. It wasn't a cheesecake, but it wasn't a mousse either. I'm not sure how to describe it. Very tasty. But they did have a warm chocolate cake which I also posted a picture of. I'm not sure if it compares to Carnival's or not, but it was very good.

Cheryl- Thanks for all the pics!!! I'm more of a "cake" guy than a "pudding" guy....Amazingly, I've only found 1-2 desserts on my 28 cruises that I liked-one was the chocolate dessert on Carnival ( amazing), the other, a Fruit Fondue on NCL, where they put fruit in the bottom of a pineapple half, then you dip it in warm chocolate sauce- hence the fondue ( that was in Le Bistro)..those two had me dialing for the medics...after I came to, I thought, "WOW,that's dessert!"....even most of the cookies on ships are pretty bad...brownies,coconut cake , coconut cream pie, & key lime pie are my other favorites, and I rarely find any of those on ships- mostly tarts, jellos,fruitty dishes,cheesecakes,etc.,none of which tempt me....best chocolate cakes are the ones they send to your room for someone's birthday...had one sent in Nov. on the Liberty, and it was GREAT! Ate a slice ( or 2) every day till gone over the 5 nights...Thanks again for posting all the new items!!

Big Al

Cheryl- Thanks for all the pics!!! I'm more of a "cake" guy than a "pudding" guy....Amazingly, I've only found 1-2 desserts on my 28 cruises that I liked-one was the chocolate dessert on Carnival ( amazing), the other, a Fruit Fondue on NCL, where they put fruit in the bottom of a pineapple half, then you dip it in warm chocolate sauce- hence the fondue ( that was in Le Bistro)..those two had me dialing for the medics...after I came to, I thought, "WOW,that's dessert!"....even most of the cookies on ships are pretty bad...brownies,coconut cake , coconut cream pie, & key lime pie are my other favorites, and I rarely find any of those on ships- mostly tarts, jellos,fruitty dishes,cheesecakes,etc.,none of which tempt me....best chocolate cakes are the ones they send to your room for someone's birthday...had one sent in Nov. on the Liberty, and it was GREAT! Ate a slice ( or 2) every day till gone over the 5 nights...Thanks again for posting all the new items!!

Big Al

Yeah, why is that the cookies on a cruise ship aren't very good. Well, if you like keylime pie, you're in for a treat. I know they had that one night. I tried it, but prefer chocolate.

But you must go to Chops and try their Mud Pie! In fact, if you go, I recommend starting with the crab cake for starters. Then the filet and mashed potatoes. (we got to pick 3 sides). They had bread with some sort of cheese spread. And for dessert, mud pie! It melted in our mouths. I think I could eat in Chops every single night.

Yeah, why is that the cookies on a cruise ship aren't very good. Well, if you like keylime pie, you're in for a treat. I know they had that one night. I tried it, but prefer chocolate.

But you must go to Chops and try their Mud Pie! In fact, if you go, I recommend starting with the crab cake for starters. Then the filet and mashed potatoes. (we got to pick 3 sides). They had bread with some sort of cheese spread. And for dessert, mud pie! It melted in our mouths. I think I could eat in Chops every single night.

We are going to Chops formal night ( Fri) and I plan on having the Mud Pie...we go every time..probably 12-15 times now over 11 cruises,so,yes, we love Chops...I usually get the shrimp cocktail, but I tried the crab cakes on the Liberty 4 months ago and they were great...DW has the filet,I usually get the NY Strip w/lyonnaise potatoes..we LOVE all the sides...I,too, could eat in Chops every night!! BTW,Disney has GREAT cookies AND Brownies!!! Cookies are soft,moist, not hard like other ships...this is killing me....

Alan

We are going to Chops formal night ( Fri) and I plan on having the Mud Pie...we go every time..probably 12-15 times now over 11 cruises,so,yes, we love Chops...I usually get the shrimp cocktail, but I tried the crab cakes on the Liberty 4 months ago and they were great...DW has the filet,I usually get the NY Strip w/lyonnaise potatoes..we LOVE all the sides...I,too, could eat in Chops every night!! BTW,Disney has GREAT cookies AND Brownies!!! Cookies are soft,moist, not hard like other ships...this is killing me....

Alan

Hmmmm, maybe someday I need to check out the cookies on the Disney ships. We're headed down to Disney this coming January, but not for a cruise.

Have fun on your cruise and eat some mud pie for us!

My dad described it as being a very dense cake, kind of similar to the flourless chocolate cake. He loved it!

Sherri:)

I personally thought the new MDR menu was very good and a nice upgrade from the past menu which had grown stale. On a 7 day cruise, there was only 1 night where nothing really stood out to me on the menu. Even on that night, though, the entree I ended up with was very good.

All of the food we had was very good to great except for a duck consomme where the only flavor was "burnt". Other than that one mis-step I enjoyed everything I ate. All of my main dishes were very good. I especially loved the lamb chops. And the filet from the surf and turf was a thick, fine quality meat that was cooked very well.

I'm sure there are many on here who are used to regularly paying $100 and up per person just for food at fine dining restaurants. Those folks may turn up their noses at the food in the MDR. However, I thought the quality and taste of the food was comparable to local restaurants where I would pay around $40 per person for an appetizer, main course, and dessert. With that in mind, and considering the relatively low cost of cruising these days, I think the new menu is very nice.

I personally thought the new MDR menu was very good and a nice upgrade from the past menu which had grown stale. On a 7 day cruise, there was only 1 night where nothing really stood out to me on the menu. Even on that night, though, the entree I ended up with was very good.

All of the food we had was very good to great except for a duck consomme where the only flavor was "burnt". Other than that one mis-step I enjoyed everything I ate. All of my main dishes were very good. I especially loved the lamb chops. And the filet from the surf and turf was a thick, fine quality meat that was cooked very well.

I'm sure there are many on here who are used to regularly paying $100 and up per person just for food at fine dining restaurants. Those folks may turn up their noses at the food in the MDR. However, I thought the quality and taste of the food was comparable to local restaurants where I would pay around $40 per person for an appetizer, main course, and dessert. With that in mind, and considering the relatively low cost of cruising these days, I think the new menu is very nice.

my thoughts exactly.

The new menu descriptions and pictures have me looking forward to our NOS cruise out of Galveston a year from this weekend. We love seafood, as long as it's cooked well and not dry. Sounds like we will find good choices every night. Our last 2 cruises were on Princess and overall the MDR food was very good on both, with very few misses. It'll be interesting to compare.

Hi all,

I know this is available somewhere....and I have looked, I promise! I can't seem to locate the dinner menu which shows specifically what is being served each night. We're cruising Oasis in April and we plan our specialty dining based on what's available in the dining room each evening.

Thanks for any help!

We encountered the new menus on the Oasis last October. I thought there were less choices of entrees as well as appetizers. I was not intersted in ordering the same ones every meal. Was surprised they thought we would. The Creme Brulee was only offered with a banana flavor rather than original. The best part of it was a better selection on the last night. Will have another opportunity to check it out in a couple of weeks. Perhaps the changes will aid in my new diet plan!:)

I enjoyed the new menu, as did my husband. There was never a time when we felt there was nothing on offer that we would like and some dishes are offered every night such as the shrimp cocktail, pasta and strip steak.

Some of my favorites were chicken Marsala, prime rib and the chocolate souffle. My husband loved the lamb shanks and we both tried the strip steak which was good, but not as good as the filet in Chops :)

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for all your imputs & opinions...guess we'll find out Thurs night at 6:45...BTW, Shopper77- the sugar-free white coconut cake is also one of my favs....anything coconut is always one of my favs...need to watch my sugar intake, and I find most sugar-free stuff stinks ( also taste-free!!)...I will let you know what I find when I get back & post my review....

Big Al

Thanks for all your imputs & opinions...guess we'll find out Thurs night at 6:45...BTW, Shopper77- the sugar-free white coconut cake is also one of my favs....anything coconut is always one of my favs...need to watch my sugar intake, and I find most sugar-free stuff stinks ( also taste-free!!)...I will let you know what I find when I get back & post my review....

Big Al

Thanks, can't wait to have some

Archived