how bad is the coffee?

nonprofitgeek

Take an empty pot to the Atrium Bar (at least on the Golden) and ask the barkeep to fill your empty pot. The bar opens at 7AM and they make it fresh right there. They even grind the beans there and make coffee. We did this after the first 2 days of terrible coffee and by the end of the cruise, there were more people at that bar at 7AM than any other bar on the ship. We tipped her well and she deserved it.

Well as I am not a coffee drinker (it makes me sick) my DH is. After reading many posts about coffee, I warned him, the coffee may not be good. Well he had it everyday and kept ordering it, he said it was good. We were on the Sun May23-30. But he does not like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts coffee, thinks those are gross! Now I know when he says, he usually likes what majority of others don't. Hey whatever works for you.

I absolutely hate Starbucks. I won't get too detailed as to where it sends me running everytime I drink it. :)

Dunkin Donuts, though ... ummmmmm, yummy. In fact, think I'll take a run over there right now. Reading this thread, I can actually smell a fresh pot with my name on it being brewed. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We just returned from the Diamond Princess. The coffee in both the Horizon and Dining Rooms was EXCELLENT! We are picky coffee folks...but were pleasantly surprised. The iced tea, on the other hand, is poor!

We are down to HAL and Princess for our next cruise. Same money, itineraries about the same. My wife just weighed in with a final decision...go HAL because Princess coffee stinks (for our taste) and we don't want to drag along the french press. Never been on HAL but this is what it came down to...really! Going on line this evening to book and finalize. Anyone had HAL coffee?

Had to buy a French press at Starbucks in Athens after 3 days of Princess coffee....pretty bad.

It was different and better on the Star 2 yrs ago.

That first cup of coffee in the morning means alot to some people!

We just returned from the Diamond Princess. The coffee in both the Horizon and Dining Rooms was EXCELLENT! We are picky coffee folks...but were pleasantly surprised. The iced tea, on the other hand, is poor!

We just got back from the Diamond too and thought the coffee was fine, whether from the dining rooms, Horizon or room service. Actually, it tasted the same as the coffee from the bars. They always had a great selection of teas!

I can't imagine what the crew does with all those pots left behind that brew American coffee. I am willing to bet that of those crew members who are coffee drinkers (not tea drinkers), most prefer European style coffee. And so, they would be most appreciative of passengers leaving behind espresso pots and the like. Speaking of which... my solution to the not-so-great American coffee is to drink cappuccino and espresso. On Princess, the cappuccino and espresso are great! It used to be free of charge in the dining room. Now we have to pay. But even so, it's cheaper and easier than schlepping a coffee pot.

Joan

Guest vitamarion
We are down to HAL and Princess for our next cruise. Same money, itineraries about the same. My wife just weighed in with a final decision...go HAL because Princess coffee stinks (for our taste) and we don't want to drag along the french press. Never been on HAL but this is what it came down to...really! Going on line this evening to book and finalize. Anyone had HAL coffee?

We cruised with HAL last December. Yes, the coffee is fresh brewed from fresh gournd coffee beans. We liked it. This December is our first cruise with Princess for more than 4 years. The big reason we chose other cruise lines delt with the disgusting coffee and tea.Princess serves. So this time we plan to pick uo a coffee pot and coffee in San Juan PC before sailing. By the way Puerto Rico grows a fanstastic coffee bean.

MES

Thanks MES, that is great. Have not had PR coffee but do drink a fair amount of Costa RIca and Panamanian. Very pleased to hear about the brew on HAL. Odd how some of the small things like that can serve to make your decision for you.

Archived