Pat & Diane's or Deadman's Reef

TikkiTembo

We (me, DH, DD-15, DD-11) want to go snorkeling while in Freeport but can’t decide between Pat & Diane’s and Deadman’s Reef. We will only be in port from 7am to 1:30. I read great review about both vendors so I’m torn. I’m leaning towards Deadman’s since this is our only lazy beach day and time is limited. But it appears that the downside is that we have to swim out farther to see nicer sights. Any recommendations/advice?

I have been to Grand Bahama 3 or 4 times, and I make it a point to snorkel at Deadman's Reef every time. I enjoy the scenery there, both the beach and snorkeling is fantastic. But I have never done it as a cruise excursion. Deadman's Reef has a nice, quiet little beach blocked off by the reef which juts above-water. You will have to swim out a bit to the reef, but I don't remember it being too terribly far. I think snorkeling for 1.5-2 hours was sufficient. Then again, that might eat into your lazy beach time.

One thing to consider is who will be snorkeling. With Deadman's Reef, you get your snorkel gear, and you're on your own. You will swim out and spend however much time you want out there - without a guide or anything. There are some floats out there to hold on to, and they have floatation devices you can use, but it's not in-and-out like you'd get on a boat.

I think I did a Pat & Diane's trip once, but I don't remember anything about it (I know it wasn't bad). I know they are renowned for how great they are, as you mentioned.

I don't know how much help this is, but I figure some info is better than none.

I have been to Grand Bahama 3 or 4 times, and I make it a point to snorkel at Deadman's Reef every time. I enjoy the scenery there, both the beach and snorkeling is fantastic. But I have never done it as a cruise excursion. Deadman's Reef has a nice, quiet little beach blocked off by the reef which juts above-water. You will have to swim out a bit to the reef, but I don't remember it being too terribly far. I think snorkeling for 1.5-2 hours was sufficient. Then again, that might eat into your lazy beach time.

One thing to consider is who will be snorkeling. With Deadman's Reef, you get your snorkel gear, and you're on your own. You will swim out and spend however much time you want out there - without a guide or anything. There are some floats out there to hold on to, and they have floatation devices you can use, but it's not in-and-out like you'd get on a boat.

I think I did a Pat & Diane's trip once, but I don't remember anything about it (I know it wasn't bad). I know they are renowned for how great they are, as you mentioned.

I don't know how much help this is, but I figure some info is better than none.

Thanks, this does help. I'm hearing more and more good things about Paradise Cove so I think I'm pretty set. Another thing I like is that being in the cove your less affected by the weather conditions (i.e. strong winds). Last time I was in Freeport many of the water activities were canceled due to the wind.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be there in April and I was trying to decide between the two as well. The draw backs for me for Pat & Dianes is the price is double what we would pay at Paradise Cove and two, I'm not sure I want to get off a boat to get right back on a boat. I was really wanting to check out the Port Lucaya Marketplace and I know PC is in the opposite direction...So many things I want to do.

I haven't done Pat and Diane's excursion (read great reviews, though) but I have done catamaran sail and snorkels. For me, the draw to Paradise Cove was that I don't consider myself a strong swimmer and I haven't done very well with snorkeling in open water. Paradise Cove offered the advantages of (a) being able to snorkel from shore and (b) snorkeling in a relatively shallow, protected area (I didn't go beyond the reef, although I've read that the snorkeling is really good there). Add to that the advantage of shuttle service to and from the port, a nice beach, and nice people, and it was a really great day. We had the short port time as well; they picked us up at 8:00 and brought us back at 12:30. It gave us four hours there, which was fine for us.

Archived