Overpacker Anonymous

crackycruiser

I started using the ziplock bags years ago after a TSA guy went through my bag and touched all my underwear without gloves! Yuk!! They've never bothered to open the ziplock bags.

The clothes are not the issue with me -- it's the cute sun hat (too cute to fold!), curling iron and all the lotions and potions, etc, etc, etc!:D

Follow the instructions in this short video from Packing Lite.com. I usually use my clothes twice during a vacation, and if necessary wash and wring them in the bath room's sink, then hang them on a clothesline in the bath room. If you don't exert yourself, your clothes won't get too spoiled.

This packing method is amazing, I didn't think it would work so I tried it. Four pairs of sandals, underwear, 6 pairs of shorts and skirts, 13 dresses and 9 shirts in a carry-on which closed easily. This was only my test run! I think I can pack more stuff, which defeats the purpose but it works! :D

Have to agree; tried it for the heck of it with days laundry: 3 pairs of jeans, 1 sweater, 1 sweatshirt, 3 blouses, 5 tees of varying weights, a weeks worth of undies...in a 24"- I think - might be 26" but I know it meets current carry-one regulations. I could easily have have fit more in. And I'm not a small woman- which does mean 1 pair of slacks for me takes up more room than a more slender woman:p

Follow the instructions in this short video from Packing Lite.com. I usually use my clothes twice during a vacation, and if necessary wash and wring them in the bath room's sink, then hang them on a clothesline in the bath room. If you don't exert yourself, your clothes won't get too spoiled.

Thanks for that link! I will no longer roll my clothes, which I thought was good.

The first step towards recovery is to admit you have a problem. From there we can get you into a 12 Step program and I'm sure we could find some meetings near you.

Always remember, though...You are not alone.

Okay, I am also ready to admit, I am an "overpacker". I am in the middle of prepping for my trip, and realize my DH is an enabler, as I also overpack for him too. Tomorrow, I vow to remove at least one item from our bags, but I am already trembling thinking about it! :p

... and all the lotions and potions, etc, etc, etc!:D

it always amazes me that people bring full-sized products. if you ask your favorite cosmetics salesperson for extra samples you can get small containers. get 100ml containers for liquids - shampoo etc, and concentrated liquid laundry detergent so that you can handwash items in the sink.

it always amazes me that people bring full-sized products. if you ask your favorite cosmetics salesperson for extra samples you can get small containers. get 100ml containers for liquids - shampoo etc, and concentrated liquid laundry detergent so that you can handwash items in the sink.

I normally fly to my port.... So when I pay $25 for a checked bag I feel obligated to bring all the liquids my heart desires to get my monies worth. :rolleyes:

However, since all 19 outfits will fit in my carryon luggage, I don't really have to check a bag now... :confused:

Okay, I am also ready to admit, I am an "overpacker". I am in the middle of prepping for my trip, and realize my DH is an enabler, as I also overpack for him too. Tomorrow, I vow to remove at least one item from our bags, but I am already trembling thinking about it! :p

Just remember to breath and maintain your focus. You can get through this. Just take it one one blouse at a time.

I lay everything out on the floor or bed that I would like to take, then I start pairing outfits. Three tops with black pants = 3 days, same tops with brown skirt = 3 more days. I keep adding a bottom and a top that will go with everything until I have "day" outfits for every travel day +1. Then I take the same stuff and see what I can add to make evening outfits. Then I add 1-3 formal dresses and workout clothes. I can take 3 weeks of clothes in a carry on. The hardest part is shoes - need tennies, some other walking shoe and Dancing/dress shoes. I usually wear a walking boot on the plane, so I only have to pack 2 pair of shoes, and as someone else mentioned, wear your heavy jackets and a couple of layers on the plane if you can.

I started using the ziplock bags years ago after a TSA guy went through my bag and touched all my underwear without gloves! Yuk!! They've never bothered to open the ziplock bags.

The clothes are not the issue with me -- it's the cute sun hat (too cute to fold!), curling iron and all the lotions and potions, etc, etc, etc!:D

I agree about the Ziplocs. They do have that added bonus.

My usual answer about the sun hat is to wear it aboard and not pack it in the suitcase. That takes it out of the picture. I do the same when I need boots or something similar on the trip. Those are worn and not packed.

I try to limit the lotions and potions, but when it's a summer cruise, you have to stock up on things like sunscreen and after-sun lotions/aloe and whatever.

DML

• 1 month later...

Great thread ... I love using the packing cubes from ebags. I have one color, hubby has another. We each have a checked bag. So each bag has 1/2 of his and 1/2 of mine. That way if a bag would be lost, we both still have clothes for the trip.

If we are going to be gone for 10 days, I pack clothes for 5 plus what we are wearing. We each pack 1 or 2 pairs of shoes plus the ones we are wearing.

My first cruise ( after about 20 yrs) was to Alaska so I thought I needed several jackets and alot of warm clothes. The warm layes yes.... 5 different jackets plus a rain jacket- not so much. The next was a CArib. cruise and I think I brought 10 bathing suits and flip flops to match plus a cover up for each day. That doesnt even cover regular clothes and shoes. Had two large suitcases. Now with each subsequent cruise I have cut it down to one large suitcase. I use a spare closet or build a make shift rack and start hanging all my clothes/ outfits for the cruise a few weeks before. This way I can visually see what I am about to pack. I do still bring alternate items but I no longer bring 2 suit cases. And let me add I have one make up bag of lotions, creams and make up removers. Another with make up. Hair dryer, flat iron and curling iron. Plus shampoo/ conditioner, etc. So I do have alot of stuff some folks dont bring/ need. My DM was the same way. She is my cruising buddy. We are recovering over packers.

Nope - if NCL manages to lose our 1 suitcase (or drop it overboard) we lose everything with only 1 bag; I split our clothes so each suitcase has about half of mine and half of his. I may go down to a smaller size suitcase once my packing in finalized (and yea we bring an extra dufflebag just in case anyway) but no way would we ever do 1 bag only for a week long trip. We've just had too much bad luck on previous vacations (not just cruise) to put all our eggs in 1 suitcase~

You can still cross-pack using a small-medium sized carryon. You should have one for valuables, meds, absolute essentials, etc, anyway. Only checking one bag is a $$$ saver, too.

First I make a list of the outfits and shoes I would like to bring.

Then a list of undies, bathing suits, cover up, sandals...

Then a list of bathroom items, OTC drugs....

As you can tell I make A LOT of lists!! LOL

Then I try to match as many shoes and outfits together as I can, and take only the ones with the most matches.

Then I put a day next to each outfit (ie: wear on board... wear Monday night..)

Then I make a list of the days we will be on the cruise, and match a daytime and nighttime outfit ( with shoes ) to each day. I mix and match as much as possible, and always bring an extra outfit, for those unexpected oops moments.

My husband is much easier... jeans,,,,nice pants.... button down shirts,,,, polo/tee shirts... dress shoes... sneakers and CIGARS

I spend days changing my list :confused: and changing my list...:confused::confused:

Of course on our last cruise the comedian did a routine about people making lists when packing...Thought my husband was gonna split his pants....

Pack light and don't sweat it ... once on board and after a few drinks you won't even care.. nor will anybody else.:)

First I make a list of the outfits and shoes I would like to bring.

Then a list of undies, bathing suits, cover up, sandals...

Then a list of bathroom items, OTC drugs....

As you can tell I make A LOT of lists!! LOL

Then I try to match as many shoes and outfits together as I can, and take only the ones with the most matches.

Then I put a day next to each outfit (ie: wear on board... wear Monday night..)

Then I make a list of the days we will be on the cruise, and match a daytime and nighttime outfit ( with shoes ) to each day. I mix and match as much as possible, and always bring an extra outfit, for those unexpected oops moments.

My husband is much easier... jeans,,,,nice pants.... button down shirts,,,, polo/tee shirts... dress shoes... sneakers and CIGARS

I spend days changing my list :confused: and changing my list...:confused::confused:

Of course on our last cruise the comedian did a routine about people making lists when packing...Thought my husband was gonna split his pants....

Pack light and don't sweat it ... once on board and after a few drinks you won't even care.. nor will anybody else.:)

You sound like me! Lists, Lists, Lists. I have a bunch of stuff that I leave in my carry-on(travel make-up brush set, travel hair brush etc). My quart baggie is usually ready to go just need to check my small bottles/jars are stocked.

We travel a lot as a family, so I have this packing thing down to a science. Love our packing cubes!

You can still cross-pack using a small-medium sized carryon. You should have one for valuables, meds, absolute essentials, etc, anyway. Only checking one bag is a $$$ saver, too.

So far we've only flown SouthWest for the last few years domestically - so $$$ haven't been an issue for checked bags, and we drove down for this last cruise so again - not a factor but a good point for others.

We're planning on WDW this Dec and flying down, we're both really sure we can get by with just a carry on each but we have Owners Lockers so toiletries and extra shoes are already down there, and as DVC members we have washing machines in the room - so not sure if that counts towards packing lighter :D

We generally have 1 med size carry-on just for electronics, we're going to see about trimming down on some of those: we didn't touch our full size over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones, we don't need a Kindle Fire, Asus Tablet, and a laptop:rolleyes: (thing is the Fire handles magazines best, the Asus tab does everything else better) and maybe a few less cords if possible.

On this trip Hubby didn't wear 1 golf shirt, 1 pair of shorts; I didn't wear 2 shirts and 1 skirt. So while I've got a bit more to trim out, we wore about 98% of what we brought. I'm not counting rain jackets or light sweaters cause those would still get packed "just in case":p We also didn't drink as much soda as we thought we would, so that will open up a lot of space on a carry on. Plus we saw a lot of people picking up Coca Cola at the ports~The Brita sports water bottles got plenty of use, we didn't care for the tap water at all. That said, we didn't need the spare bottle we brought.

Tentative goal for next 7 day cruise is 1 full size and 2 carry on, depending on pre and post cruise travel ;)

Archived