Overpacker Anonymous

crackycruiser

I wear everything I pack. I plan the exact amount of casual tops, evening tops, evening slacks and casual capris I will need. I bring two pair of slacks for evening and wear them with different tops each night. I also pack two pair of different color capris for daytime and wear them with a different casual top each day. Gym clothes for at least 4 days at the gym, two swim suits, one swimsuit cover up, one windbreaker and undies rounds out the clothing packing list.

As for shoes.....one nice pair of black heeled sandals for evening, tan sandals and navy sandals for day time, water shoes to go to the hot tub and sneakers for the gym. Oh, and one small black purse for evening.

There has never been a cruise that I did not wear what I packed. Same goes for hubby too. Why pack 10 casual shirts when you are only going to need 8?

I fit everything into a 26" luggage and hubby does the same. We have one 18" roll on with our valuables and medications. Easy peasy.

No wheels??? Sorry, no can do. Our 18" carry on has wheels!!!

It all depends on your POV. I was carrying 50 lb bags of lime at 12 years old and still sling a similar sized bag of dog food over my shoulder today. A 40 pound bag of clothes is chump change to me. When I'm in my 60s or 70s, it might cease to be.

For now, depending on what I'm doing and what I'm carrying with me, I have a collection of wheeled bags that range from 22" to 33" and a collection of duffels with no wheels that range from 18" to 26". Shrug. It all depends on your comfort level and needs. I've been known (on occasion) to walk into an airport with a 40 lb duffel (with no wheels) or sea bag and a 30 lb backpack...and at other times, I walk in with a 26" wheeled bag acting as the cart for a 22" bag (with or without wheels, depending on what's in it...if it's books for a signing, it's wheeled) and a backpack. If that's not your forte, and the wheels are more important than the weight you need to ship with you, then go for wheels every time. Your call. I did state you have to weigh your priorities for yourself.

DML

There has never been a cruise that I did not wear what I packed. Same goes for hubby too. Why pack 10 casual shirts when you are only going to need 8?

I fit everything into a 26" luggage and hubby does the same. We have one 18" roll on with our valuables and medications. Easy peasy.

LOL! Then you usually pack more than I do. This time is my exception to the rule, since I'm "eventing" on board. I can usually do a week-long cruise with two 26" rolling (one for each my husband and myself) and a backpack between us (and don't have to wash clothing on board with one that large), but I pack tight.

As for why you'd pack extra, I can answer that. No matter HOW careful you are, someone else might not be. I've had a waitress accidentally drop a plate of blueberry pancakes (the type of with blueberries in syrup and whipped cream on top) meant for the person beside me in my lap, ruining both pants and shirt. I've had someone across the table knock over a drink into my lap. I had a waitress turn around unexpectedly with a tray of food and drop it down my shirt. :eek: I always plan one shirt more than I believe I'll need for trips under 4 or 5 days and two extra for trips longer than that, but if you pack tight, it doesn't make a difference in luggage you take along.

DML

Start by laying your slacks, shorts, skirt, whatever out on the bed to plan what you will wear each day and each evening. As others have suggested here match up a couple of shirts/tops/blouses to each pair of slacks/shorts/skirt. You might start with your husband's allotted wardrobe first for practice because it's much easier to pack light for men and you won't get emotional over all your favorite clothes.

For a 7 day cruise I usually take 3 pairs of slacks and 3 pairs of shorts, but no more than 4 of either. Then I match up 2 or 3 shirts to each pair of pants and shorts. Some of the shirts I wear in the evening I will wear with shorts in the day. Make sure you pack a pair of dress socks for each evening. The Champion Duo Dry shirts from Target are great on a cruise. They're lightweight, you can roll them up and cram them in the smallest nook and cranny in your suitcase and they won't wrinkle. You can even wash them out in the sink by hand, hang them up and they will be dry in minutes. Oh, and don't forget the underwear! I usually take 10 pairs of my best tighty-whiteys.

Don't give in to, "Oh, just one more blouse won't make a difference...or these shoes...and this is my favorite skirt." Once you get it all laid out then reduce, reduce, reduce. I usually do a 7 day cruise with a carry-on and still have clothes I didn't wear.

:D

As for why you'd pack extra, I can answer that. No matter HOW careful you are, someone else might not be. I've had a waitress accidentally drop a plate of blueberry pancakes (the type of with blueberries in syrup and whipped cream on top) meant for the person beside me in my lap, ruining both pants and shirt. I've had someone across the table knock over a drink into my lap. I had a waitress turn around unexpectedly with a tray of food and drop it down my shirt. :eek: I always plan one shirt more than I believe I'll need for trips under 4 or 5 days and two extra for trips longer than that, but if you pack tight, it doesn't make a difference in luggage you take along.

DML

QFT! I'm planning on an ATV/cavetube excursion in Belize - I will get very muddy, and most likely those clothes will need to be tossed. Already packed the raggiest pair of capris I own and am still debating which tee will be sacrificed in the cause of fun :p

Hubby and I will each have a suitcase, not sure the exact size but large wheeled uprights - looks like they'll be packed roughly 2/3 full leaving plenty of room for souvenirs (Our 1st Caribbean cruise ever, there will be shopping :D ) We'll each have a carry on: his will be the electronics bag, mine will be swimsuits/ 1 change of clothes for both and medicines. (we're driving down to Tampa)

Still haven't decided on how to bring on water and sodas. 1st cruise with NCL, we don't know if we'll like the water even filtered thru Brita and we both detest Pepsi so at least for this first trip, we're going to be bringing extra to drink. Likewise on tolietries, I get rashes from a variety of the soaps or shampoos of hotels so bringing a small amt of my own on this trip to be safe.

So.. depends on your definition of light packing ;-}

QFT! I'm planning on an ATV/cavetube excursion in Belize - I will get very muddy, and most likely those clothes will need to be tossed. Already packed the raggiest pair of capris I own and am still debating which tee will be sacrificed in the cause of fun :p

A teacher friend of mine does a field trip to the salt marshes when they are learning about local ecology/geography. When she does, she tells parents to send along an old raggedy or used pair of tennis shoes they don't mind losing for the kids to go out in the mud with, because they average 6 or more lost shoes between 30 kids every time they go, and there's no getting those back. :cool: I'm with you. Plan for losses where necessary.

DML

:D

Hubby and I will each have a suitcase, not sure the exact size but large wheeled uprights - looks like they'll be packed roughly 2/3 full leaving plenty of room for souvenirs (Our 1st Caribbean cruise ever, there will be shopping :D

Rather than pack two suitcases only 2/3 full reduce down to one then roll up a duffel bag and pack it in your suitcase. That way you can fill the duffel with dirty clothes on the way back making room for your purchases in the suitcase.

Rather than pack two suitcases only 2/3 full reduce down to one then roll up a duffel bag and pack it in your suitcase. That way you can fill the duffel with dirty clothes on the way back making room for your purchases in the suitcase.

Nope - if NCL manages to lose our 1 suitcase (or drop it overboard) we lose everything with only 1 bag; I split our clothes so each suitcase has about half of mine and half of his. I may go down to a smaller size suitcase once my packing in finalized (and yea we bring an extra dufflebag just in case anyway) but no way would we ever do 1 bag only for a week long trip. We've just had too much bad luck on previous vacations (not just cruise) to put all our eggs in 1 suitcase~

Nope - if NCL manages to lose our 1 suitcase (or drop it overboard) we lose everything with only 1 bag; I split our clothes so each suitcase has about half of mine and half of his. I may go down to a smaller size suitcase once my packing in finalized (and yea we bring an extra dufflebag just in case anyway) but no way would we ever do 1 bag only for a week long trip. We've just had too much bad luck on previous vacations (not just cruise) to put all our eggs in 1 suitcase~

O-kay...You're going to need an intervention.

Ok...this might be bad...but I have 7 day dresses and 7 evening dresses. I love dresses...they are easy to pack, take up very little space, and easy to wear.

I also brought 3 workout outfits (shorts and tank) that can double as nightie wear and I plan to do laundry 4 days in to wash the workout/sleep wear.

I bring one pair of flip flops for day, 2 pair dress shoes, and sneakers for working out.

I just packed (cruise in a week) and all in one suitcase (including bathing suit, toiletries, etc...suitcase weighed in at 35.8

hi, advice I read a few years ago said to lay out all the clothes and things you think you need for the trip...then put 1/2 of them back in the closet. This works for me and even then I sometimes end up with clothes I don't wear. Along with cruising we also travel around the country in an RV during the summer 5-6 weeks at a time.... first year I had triple the amount of clothes I needed......realizing that all campgrounds had washing machines and dryers helped me cut down on clothes on the next extended trips we did.

another thing I do is wear those nylon cargo type Columbia shorts. They can easily be soaked in the sink rinsed and hung to dry on the line in the cabin bathroom...being nylon they dry very quickly.....

have fun on your cruise.....its one of the best ways to relax and enjoy a change of scenery......

Marianne

One of the best travel related investments I made was purchasing a light weight 25" suitcase. I got it on sale and used it for the first time last week on my Pearl cruise and it worked out great!! I packed in it 7 day outfits, 7 evening outfits, two bathing suits, underwear, two coverups, 4 pairs of sandals, and some larger wet toiletries such as suntan lotion and bug spray and was quite surprised the weight was only 37 lbs. Had I packed the same stuff in my old suitcase it would have been over 50 lbs. The rest of my travel essentials like travel clock, electric cord, water socks, medications, small wet toiletries, makeup, etc. went into my carry-on bag.

Also, prior to packing I set out my cruise itinerary and match clothing with where I am going and what I am doing on a particular day. For example I did a beach excursion in Grand Cayman so that day was a bathing suit, coverup up, water socks, visor, and sandals. That evening we had reservations for dinner at Le Bistro, so attire was one of my dressier evening outfits.

I used to be a huge over packer when I first began cruising, but with each cruise I really learned what was and was not essential to pack. Hopefully one day I will travel only with a carry-on bag :)

Have fun on your cruise!!!

I only take one 25" roll-on when I do a 7 day cruise. I only pack for 4 days and plan to wear everything twice. It works out just fine.

On my 16-day TA with 4 pre-cruise days in Rome, I took a larger bag, plus a very small carry-on and packed for 10 days. It also worked out well.

For a 7 day cruise, I used to take a big bag and bring enough clothes for different outfits every day. I just don't need that much clothes.

OH goodie I'm not alone. We generally go on 2 + weeks each years first 1 week for awhile. I have a staging area. I add to this with what I really must have. Then the week of the trip start putting things away. I'm getting better with this way of packing. I would have outfits with shoes for 2 changes a day years ago for each.

Now I do mix and match and I use the ships laundry. It's the shoes oh my the wonderful shoes. This trip will be the test 1 pair sneakers, 1 pair deck/pool, 1 dress pumps. Will where the heavyest hiking boots. That's the plan. I can, I can.

Keep safe out there this stormy weekend, Laura

OH goodie I'm not alone. We generally go on 2 + weeks each years first 1 week for awhile. I have a staging area. I add to this with what I really must have. Then the week of the trip start putting things away. I'm getting better with this way of packing. I would have outfits with shoes for 2 changes a day years ago for each.

Now I do mix and match and I use the ships laundry. It's the shoes oh my the wonderful shoes. This trip will be the test 1 pair sneakers, 1 pair deck/pool, 1 dress pumps. Will where the heavyest hiking boots. That's the plan. I can, I can.

Keep safe out there this stormy weekend, Laura

thanks everyone for the replies. Great topic. The shoes are a delimina, but I'm going with this.

O-kay...You're going to need an intervention.

LOL- nope just have had way too much bad luck with luggage.

• Australia/Kangaroo Island - one bag got dropped in the sea off a ferry (it was recovered).
  • Flying from NC to NY- one bag got sent to Germany, then Spain, then England before properly routed NY, by which time I was home in NC.
  • Disney has mis-placed our luggage twice, 1 time only by a few hours, another was 2 days. (Owners Locker for the Win)
  • 1 in 3 times flying, our luggage gets sent on a later flight or different flight (we check in about 1 1/2 hours before a flight, we're not last minute)
  • Carry-on only you suggest? Nope, problems twice when there wasn't enough room in overhead bins and had to check carryon. 1 time someone else took off with ours (same case), another time got put on checked luggage cart, and then got routed to a different incoming flight baggage claim - along with about a dozen other peoples.

and those are just the highlights, there's alot more stories:eek:. I count us lucky in that 1) we've always gotten our baggage back eventually and 2) we always gotten ALL of our stuff back.

We just accept that we have a much higher chance of luggage going astray than the average traveler (for whatever reason). In the US, if we can easily hit a mall or Target to replace stuff - we're a bit more laid back. Going to foreign countries where replacing lost items are going to be harder, we're going to be a lot more cautious.

Hubby is the most laid back, non superstitous, just the facts kinda guy you could ever want to meet. Even he has agreed, we just are unlucky to the nth degree where luggage is concerned <shrug>

LOL- nope just have had way too much bad luck with luggage.

The first step towards recovery is to admit you have a problem. From there we can get you into a 12 Step program and I'm sure we could find some meetings near you.

Always remember, though...You are not alone.

Follow the instructions in this short video from Packing Lite.com. I usually use my clothes twice during a vacation, and if necessary wash and wring them in the bath room's sink, then hang them on a clothesline in the bath room. If you don't exert yourself, your clothes won't get too spoiled.

Don't feel too bad, a fellow shipmate on the Epic with me last week saw someone rolling on a clothing rack followed by suitcases! I'm assuming they lived nearby and have a large van. :D

After 5 cruises, you think I would learn. I set out and packed 9 tops (daytime), 7 shorts, workout clothes, and evening clothes.

I ended up not wearing most of the tops or most of the shorts. On sea days, I threw on my bathing suit and coverup and stayed in it until I showered for dinner. On 2 port days I did the same thing since I had only plans for sitting on the beach, St. Thomas was rainy so I did wear shorts and a tee. I did wear all the dinner wear.

So, looking at your itinerary, do you sit by the pool on sea days? If so, do you need to put on a separate outfit for breakfast, or would you put on suit/coverup and hit the buffet? What are you doing on port days and what would you wear.

I exercise at home, but ended up not stepping foot in the gym after checking it out after boarding. If you are hoping you will exercise if you bring clothes, think long and hard if you are just wasting space.

Granted, this system works better for Norwegian than, say, Holland America. :D

Follow the instructions in this short video from Packing Lite.com. I usually use my clothes twice during a vacation, and if necessary wash and wring them in the bath room's sink, then hang them on a clothesline in the bath room. If you don't exert yourself, your clothes won't get too spoiled.

This packing method is amazing, I didn't think it would work so I tried it. Four pairs of sandals, underwear, 6 pairs of shorts and skirts, 13 dresses and 9 shirts in a carry-on which closed easily. This was only my test run! I think I can pack more stuff, which defeats the purpose but it works! :D

I found the best method for me to minimize (not completely eliminate) my overpacking is literally to make a list of what I'm wearing everyday. For excursions, after the excursions and at sea days. I went one step further and listed what jewelry I would wear each day. Made my packing much easier and lighter. I also imposed a limit on the number of shoes I would bring so I had to switch some outfits to match the shoes for dinner. It worked well.

Happy cruising.

Archived