Onboard WiFi Network

montesn

This might be out of the realm of common knowledge, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I know that most of the ship is blanketed with WiFi and that you can use that connection to access the internet on a pay-per-minute plan. My question is, does Celebrity limit clients who are connected to the access points from talking to one another?

The reason I ask is that we've got a large group going on a cruise next year, most of whom work in IT. Assuming the WiFi network permits internal communication, we can use our cell phones to communicate over the network peer to peer without needing internet or actual cellular coverage.

I don't have any personal experience with such a request, but I'd wager the onboard IT manager will say no, since it's only his/her job to be responsible for paying customers using the Internet, not folks who want to use the ship's wifi to communicate peer-to-peer.

I'll bet he or she could come up with all sorts of implausible scenarios in which your activities would mess up Internet access for everyone else -- for example, what if you spend hours a day videochatting between cabins! ;^> Not that you'd do anything like that, but all he or she will care about is the risk.

Well, the point would be not to be paying. Generally those type of networks are set up to keep people from getting out without paying, but not to regulate internal traffic. This just may not be answer we can get until we get there and try.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

as long as you are both paying should not be an issue

I think you may have misunderstood the OP's question, which hinged on the fact that the scarcity onboard isn't Wi-Fi per se but Internet bandwidth. Ideally, p2p traffic onboard would reflect that.

Montesn, give it a try! Maybe the IT manager will be in a charitable mood.

I think you may have misunderstood the OP's question, which hinged on the fact that the scarcity onboard isn't Wi-Fi per se but Internet bandwidth. Ideally, p2p traffic onboard would reflect that.

Montesn, give it a try! Maybe the IT manager will be in a charitable mood.

I wouldn't expect their IT manager to bend any rules on this. Basically either their network is totally locked down or they've only put thought into stopping people from getting outside the network and using their satellite internet. Either way, it either works or it doesn't, but it's not something we'd involve the staff in.

it would depend on how you were billed if you could log onto the network and not send traffic thru the WAN you would probably not be billed but I am not sure how you would talk with the phones you would need a walkie talkie type program since instant messaging goes back thru a server.

it would depend on how you were billed if you could log onto the network and not send traffic thru the WAN you would probably not be billed but I am not sure how you would talk with the phones you would need a walkie talkie type program since instant messaging goes back thru a server.

The company I work for makes software like that. I'd just have to have it loaded on a laptop. Assuming the network allowed internal communication, phones would just talk to the laptop.

I'm curious ... how would you communicate between phones within you group, using WiFi? Skype? Sounds like a great idea which our small group of six could try after we leave Hong Kong in April.

What I think it really comes down is whether the ship network has been configured with each connection getting its own stub subnet and unable to "talk" to the other subnets. I have not been impressed with the sophistication of Celebrity's IT group so I suspect they have not done that. And their concern seems to be protecting revenue streams, not each client. But, as said by others, it will have to wait for you to test it.

j

Archived