New to Regent - Questions

ras619

We are looking favorably at booking a Baltic cruise when the 2014 venues are available, but have a few questions not specifically found in the last 5 pages of topics:

How realistic is the all inclusive concept as far as tipping at the Seven Seas suite or Voyager suite level?

We have seen references to some sort of limitations on some dining reservations - how does that work & why not able to eat wherever you desire?

There is a reference to a "nominal" charge for internet service in excess of the few minutes Regent provides free - is there some specific plans available for purchase to those who still have business to oversee?

On the airline reservations at business class can you really select or be involved with the booking on their 270 day pre-cruise plan & any info on what that costs?

Excursions - thus far we have tended to book our excursions as soon as they are available with a hit & miss result, but thus far more misses than hits. On the last cruise we finally cancelled all remaining selections and got off the ship & searched for ourselves. I notice Regent free cruises to NOT appear to take the entire docked time, so some individual time is available. Is it best to book Regent cruises pre-cruise or onboard?

Sorry to seem lame, but we try to find out as much in terms of specifics as we can each time & always miss something. All help appreciated - BobS :-)

Ok, will try to answer some.

No tipping at all. This is included. If you want to contribute extra, give to the crew fund.

You can eat wherever and whenever you want except in prime 7 and Signatures which require reservations but no extra charge. Reservations can be made online in advance, one per restaurant. Truly I like compass rose and Sette mare better than prime 7, and those don 't require reservation.

Internet is an extra charge until you have 25 days aboard, then it is included. They do have a package you can buy, but no idea as to coat as it has been to long ago that I had to pay for it.

We don't use regent air. We take the credit and do our own with ff miles, but I understand you can pay a deviation fee and pick your flights.

Prebook excursions online ahead of time. You can always change once onboard. I like excursions that only take 1/2 a day so I can explore on my own.

Welcome to the Regent board! You definitely do not sound lame...... we all had questions when we started with Regent and have continued posting in order to answer questions for "newbies":)

I agree with Rachel 100% about tipping. It is included and most Regent regulars suggest donating to the crew fund rather than to individuals.

There are various packages you can purchase for internet access. After 21 nights on Regent, internet becomes free (think RachelG had a tiny typo when she posted that it was 25 nights:-)

In terms of dining reservations, Prime 7 and Signatures have very limited seating which is why you must have reservations. There is always open seating in Compass Rose and Sette Mari.

Regarding flights, Regent has contracts with certain carriers on certain flights. If you decide to "deviate" there is a charge of $150/person. You can certainly work with your TA and Regent Air to find a flight that works for you and that is contracted with Regent. Usually when you deviate, you lose transfers to and from the ship. This is not a big deal unless you embark or disembark at a port that is far from the airport.

I definitely recommend booking "included" or "Regent Choice" excursions as soon as they become available to book online. However, having said that, many people prefer private excursions in St. Petersburg. Just something to think about.

In my opinion, you have selected the best itinerary for first time Regent guests even though it is extremely port intensive and you will no doubt be exhausted at the end of every day. You should have an amazing cruise.

Thanks RachelG and Travelcat2 - all information is helpful. Thus far we have always used the Air Assist options or similar as soon as flights can be secured. Am sure that could change, but I always start pricing sample options early and go right up to day 330 or whatever the options are. We just like to have things resolved as to itinerary & seat assignments. With that detail in hand the cruise line have always been somewhat cheaper for Business/First than we could find, but will keep trying.

By paying for the Air Assist, etc. have never had to give up the transfers to/from the ship. We usually include a pre-cruise day, two or three.

We also have always dealt directly with each cruise line as we have very few options locally thus know that some negotiation is possible. Is there a significant benefit to using a TA to justify finding someone for that in larger metro areas?

There is a reference to a "nominal" charge for internet service in excess of the few minutes Regent provides free - is there some specific plans available for purchase to those who still have business to oversee?

We also have always dealt directly with each cruise line as we have very few options locally thus know that some negotiation is possible. Is there a significant benefit to using a TA to justify finding someone for that in larger metro areas?

The most current pricing info seems to be:

Unlimited: $29.99 per day

500 Minutes: $350.00

Pay As You Go: $0.99 per minute

Benefits of using a TA who specializes in luxury cruising (and preferably Regent super-specifically) include personal knowledge about the ship, specific suites, specific shore excursions, OBC, rebates, and sometimes discounted pricing relative to prevailing rates.

If you give your TA parameters for upsell pricing acceptances, you are more likely to secure an upsell opportunity (due to their "always on" availability relative to the average cruiser).

Definitely need to use a travel agent who specializes in luxury cruises. Does not need to be where you live, you need someone who knows the luxury cruise business inside and out. Lots of extra perks.

My TA lives in Dallas. We communicate exclusively by email. Yes, I have met her in person ( on a cruise). She and I have similar personalities and tastes, so she knows what I want and expect. You will get much more perks than dealing directly with the cruise line.

Definitely need to use a travel agent who specializes in luxury cruises. Does not need to be where you live, you need someone who knows the luxury cruise business inside and out. Lots of extra perks.

My TA lives in Dallas. We communicate exclusively by email. Yes, I have met her in person ( on a cruise). She and I have similar personalities and tastes, so she knows what I want and expect. You will get much more perks than dealing directly with the cruise line.

If you are willing to share Dallas is close enough. Can be contacted at BobS@grapevinewoods.com

Thx for your help :D

Archived