First Timers

boleynkid

1) Do people recommend the ships excursions or doing your own thing. I appreciate it is probably more expensive through the cruise line but I guess there might be a bit more "comfort" booking it through NCL.

In general, it's a lot cheaper to book an excursion on your own privately instead of through NCL. On my cruise to Bermuda, it was less than half price and easy as pie. The only caveat was that I had to pay cash. It's a good idea to bring some cash on your cruise when you get into port. Unexpected expenses (like the shuttle to and from the beach from the bus stop) may not accept credit cards.

2) Be interested to hear people's experiences with regards to "must do" shore excursions. I would say we are the catamaran/snorkel/swim type rather than "island tours". Our ports of call are St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia & St Maarten. Be interested to hear of any excursions which maybe aren't on NCL's list for these ports. Is it best to book these excursions in advance or just wait until we are on board.

I can't speak to those ports, and you'd be better off posting in the location's subforum rather than the cruise line's. If your dead set on booking through the cruise, you should do it BEFORE you sail as they may sell out.

3) Do you have to book seats in advance for the evening shows.

No, but you may want to make reservations for diner to coincide with the showtimes.

4) It appears that "tips" are viewed as important so what do most people tend to do with regards this aspect.

This too subjective to discuss without a major derail.

5) I can't see us wanting to be too dressy (prefer not to take my suit on holidays) but is smart casual ok for all dining areas ?

You're in luck! NCL has a very liberal dress code. No suit needed unless you want to wear one.

6) Is night club smart casual or is it a Shorts/T-Shirt type place.

Both. :)

We did Bernards Tours In St Maarten We took the one where you see the planes come over the beach.It was a very nice tour excellent!!!! He even had beverages for you in coolers .Well worth the money!!!much cheaper and better then ship tours . Took a taxi to beach in St Thomas no problem. Stayed a few hours and they brought us back .

Thanks for that baby's mom. Must admit that we would like to do something similar as we have seen some clips on youtube.

Sorry. Knew I should have read the whole thread before replying. :)

We will have to wave as we pass one another, I will probably be wearing a light coloured T-Shirt

I've decided I would like all of you guys on my cruise. Have to say that I am impressed by the cruise addiction, seems to say a lot about how much people enjoy themselves.

In general, it's a lot cheaper to book an excursion on your own privately instead of through NCL. On my cruise to Bermuda, it was less than half price and easy as pie. The only caveat was that I had to pay cash. It's a good idea to bring some cash on your cruise when you get into port. Unexpected expenses (like the shuttle to and from the beach from the bus stop) may not accept credit cards.

I can't speak to those ports, and you'd be better off posting in the location's subforum rather than the cruise line's. If your dead set on booking through the cruise, you should do it BEFORE you sail as they may sell out.

No, but you may want to make reservations for diner to coincide with the showtimes.

This too subjective to discuss without a major derail.

You're in luck! NCL has a very liberal dress code. No suit needed unless you want to wear one.

Both. :)

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer all of my questions Sizzlechest, much appreciated. Once again a very helpful and informative

response.

We will have to wave as we pass one another, I will probably be wearing a light coloured T-Shirt

I've decided I would like all of you guys on my cruise. Have to say that I am impressed by the cruise addiction, seems to say a lot about how much people enjoy themselves.

The cruise addiction is what has brought all of us together here! :D

This is a great place to hang out, learn, help, laugh, and ward-off post cruise depression, too. :p I must say that out of all the lines represented here on CC, the folks here on the NCL board seem to be overall nicer, friendlier and far more helpful than lots of folks on some of the boards for other lines. :eek:

So glad you found this place, and for what it's worth I'd love to have you sailing on one of my cruises, too. You have a GREAT outlook! ;)

Happy Cruising!

The cruise addiction is what has brought all of us together here! :D

This is a great place to hang out, learn, help, laugh, and ward-off post cruise depression, too. :p I must say that out of all the lines represented here on CC, the folks here on the NCL board seem to be overall nicer, friendlier and far more helpful than lots of folks on some of the boards for other lines. :eek:

So glad you found this place, and for what it's worth I'd love to have you sailing on one of my cruises, too. You have a GREAT outlook! ;)

Happy Cruising!

Next time eh Barbara, I think I've already worked out this may not be our first and only cruise.

Archived