Buying tequila / Kahlua in Cozumel

Turbo6ta

Every time we would go to Mexican border towns like Nogalas, or Juarez we would always buy a couple of bottles of tequila to bring back home. If I remember, Kahlua was real cheap too.

Very cheap and they were lots of liquor stores in these border cities close to the US / Mexican entey points to buy it from.

Is tequuila cheap to buy in Cozumel too and take back on the boat?

Are all the liquor stores prices there about the same as far as price goes?

Can you 'deal' the price down a little from the posted price?

Thank's

Bargaining on prices is common -- although some of the large, industrial stores near the piers may hold firm to their prices; you r results may vary. Check local prices where you live and on the ship before making a purchase in Coz. ;)

Good luck! :)

Check local prices where you live and on the ship before making a purchase in Coz. ;)

Good luck! :)

Thank's John.

When you say to check the prices I find here locally before making a purchase in Cozumel, I get the feeling tequila and Kahlua is alot more expensive in Cozumel as it is in lets say Juarez, Mexico.

I know it's about a third of the price in Juarez as it is in a liquor store in the US.

I think Kahlua was $10 which I thought was cheap until I found out its only $13.99 on sale here.

I liked the prices and have a soft spot for rums anyway. Costa Maya had a Tequileria store that had a great variety of tequila brands with a wide range of prices. They even gave wee samples in the store.

Our favourite place to buy tequila is the Hacienda Antigua Factory Store in San Miguel. The store is located about 2 or 3 blocks east of Palmeras Restaurant at the PDC Ferry docks. It's either on Calle 1 Sur or Av Juarez.

The tequilas sold there are much better than anything you'll find back home. Our fav is a nice blue tequila called Mar Mix.

They have free samples and you can haggle with them a little on their prices...

Last time we were there I bought 2 cases (18 L) of Mar Mix.

Cheers, P:)

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for recent (2013) info on tequila purchases in Cozumel. I'm travelling with my elderly mother this trip and we'll be leaving the ship at the Cozumel port for the sole purpose of purchasing tequila for 'souvenir' gifts for the (rather large) family and for a tailgating party the day we disembark.

Of course we're looking for 100% agave and I'll have my eye out for any Don Julio bargains.

Is it any cheaper to buy tequila in Cozumel than back in the States (in New Orleans for example)? Or should we just purchase it after disembark and save the trouble of customs?

Where have you found the best bargain for tequila in Cozumel? Haggled price or not.

Any tequila recommendations?

Archived