Pre-Cruise Vancouver Area

Cindy

Hi there! My husband and I will be sailing out of Vancouver on the Millenium on September 13th. I need some help/advice from people with lots of local knowledge.

I'm all over the map for what to do before the cruise. We're thinking about flying to ????? on Tuesday the 10th. We've both spent time in Vancouver and Victoria, so we're looking to rent a car and do something a little different.

We'd love to do the Celebrity's Rocky Mountain pre-cruise tour, but that's too long for my husband to be away, and I checked the Rocky Mountaineer but I thought it was too expensive for a one night trip. With the train ruled out, my next thought was to fly to Calgary and drive, or fly to Portland and drive, because those are both areas we haven't seen. It looks like either would be a reasonable distance to drive, but the rental car costs to drop off in Vancouver are a BIG deterrent.:eek:

So...now I'm looking at flying straight to Vancouver and renting a car at the airport (VERY economical, and we can drop it off downtown without a surcharge!:D). I found a driving route on HelloBC.com that interests us, but I'd like some advice from locals. We would drive to Whistler...probably arriving late afternoon on Tuesday, and stay in Whistler Tuesday and Wednesday nights. On Thursday, weather permitting, we'd leave early and head back to Vancouver via Pemberton & Lillooet, down Highway 12 & 1 to Hope, and then into Vancouver on Rt. 5.

Questions -- Is the scenery worth taking the longer route back to Vancouver if the weather's good? Is that a reasonable drive for one day, or would we be pushing it if we stopped several times? We'd like to be in Vancouver before dinner on Thursday. Any recommendations for things to do/see in Whistler or along that route? Suggestions for a pre-cruise trip out of Vancouver that we might not have thought of? My only requirement is I would like to see mountains since the highest elevation around here is a highway overpass!:rolleyes: Thanks for your help!:)

Vancouverites will certainly chime in, but as a nonresident but frequent visitor, the "Sea to Sky" highway between Vancouver and Whistler is one of the most beautiful routes in North America. We haven't driven east/north from Whistler so can't comment; however the TC Highway (through Hope and back to Vancouver) is pleasant but not life-changing; I'd probably be inclined to return straight to Vancouver and use the extra hours either in Whistler or back in the city.

Just as an alternative, though, since you mention Portland in your post, you might have a look at flying into PDX (probably cheaper than YVR) and getting a car there, exploring the Columbia Gorge, Hood River Valley and Mount Hood, all very doable in a couple of days, then dropping the car back at PDX and riding the train to Vancouver prior to your cruise.

Taking nothing away from Whistler (impossible) the Gorge/Mount Hood area has an amazing amount of variety - the Gorge itself, the whitewater rivers on the Washington side of the Columbia and the waterfalls on the Oregon side, the drop-dead gorgeous Hood River Valley (maybe entering harvest time - big orchard area), then Mount Hood, looming over the valley. Watch the windsurfers on the Columbia at Hood River, then an hour or so later you're at Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, then back to Hood River for microbrews.

The train ride from Portland to Vancouver via Seattle is scenic and very affordable, so that overcomes your one-way rental car drop problem. The whole thing would be quite doable in the same time frame as the Whistler option, just very different.

Hi there! My husband and I will be sailing out of Vancouver on the Millenium on September 13th. I need some help/advice from people with lots of local knowledge.

I'm all over the map for what to do before the cruise. We're thinking about flying to ????? on Tuesday the 10th. We've both spent time in Vancouver and Victoria, so we're looking to rent a car and do something a little different.

We'd love to do the Celebrity's Rocky Mountain pre-cruise tour, but that's too long for my husband to be away, and I checked the Rocky Mountaineer but I thought it was too expensive for a one night trip. With the train ruled out, my next thought was to fly to Calgary and drive, or fly to Portland and drive, because those are both areas we haven't seen. It looks like either would be a reasonable distance to drive, but the rental car costs to drop off in Vancouver are a BIG deterrent.:eek:

So...now I'm looking at flying straight to Vancouver and renting a car at the airport (VERY economical, and we can drop it off downtown without a surcharge!:D). I found a driving route on HelloBC.com that interests us, but I'd like some advice from locals. We would drive to Whistler...probably arriving late afternoon on Tuesday, and stay in Whistler Tuesday and Wednesday nights. On Thursday, weather permitting, we'd leave early and head back to Vancouver via Pemberton & Lillooet, down Highway 12 & 1 to Hope, and then into Vancouver on Rt. 5.

Questions -- Is the scenery worth taking the longer route back to Vancouver if the weather's good? Is that a reasonable drive for one day, or would we be pushing it if we stopped several times? We'd like to be in Vancouver before dinner on Thursday. Any recommendations for things to do/see in Whistler or along that route? Suggestions for a pre-cruise trip out of Vancouver that we might not have thought of? My only requirement is I would like to see mountains since the highest elevation around here is a highway overpass!:rolleyes: Thanks for your help!:)

Another option to consider flying/drive to would be YLW/Kelowna, and then drive back down through Penticton/Oliver/Oosoyoos (wine country), and back up and over Hwy 3/Alison Pass (over 5000ft elevation) into Vancouver

Yes it is a doable trip my only thought would be to stay on HWY 1 into the city. HWY 5 would be a bit slow and tedious. The scenery is lovely and quite varied. Whistler has become a 4 season, world class resort and with out knowing your interests it is hard to advise you what to see and do....but it does sound like you would be a candidate for the Peak to Peak Gondola. http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/p2pg/

Yes it is a doable trip my only thought would be to stay on HWY 1 into the city. HWY 5 would be a bit slow and tedious. The scenery is lovely and quite varied. Whistler has become a 4 season, world class resort and with out knowing your interests it is hard to advise you what to see and do....but it does sound like you would be a candidate for the Peak to Peak Gondola. http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/p2pg/

Hwy 5 doesn't run into Vancouver, it terminates (western end) about 150 km east of Vancouver at the town of Hope. The two highways from Hope into Vancouver are Hwy 1 (south side of the Fraser) and Hwy 7 (north side of the Fraser).

I had HWY 5 and HWY 7 mixed up in my mind this morning as I was rushing out the door to play golf but that aside I really can't see any merit in using HWY 5. I have driven from Lillooet to Vancouver many times over the years and have always used HWY 1; going over to HWY 5 would out of the way. HWY 1 from Lytton parallels the railway tracks and the scenery on HWY1 thru the Fraser Canyon is pretty spectacular.

Google maps puts Whistler to Vancouver via Lillooet at about 6 hours (450km/280miles). I used to live in Whistler and drove it once but I would not recommend it.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=whistler,+bc&daddr=49.9207338,-121.4514524+to:Vancouver,+BC&hl=en&ll=49.767074,-122.34375&spn=1.263104,2.612&sll=49.816721,-122.563477&sspn=1.26181,2.612&geocode=FeC2_AId1NGr-CmHe5UDsjyHVDH2z_V16EG3Sg%3BFd26-QIdRMzC-Cm9B6CHZGmBVDEgDk9PUpLSsw%3BFaqq7wIdOW6p-CmzT6lD8XOGVDGL84Gb6paRuw&oq=vancouver&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&z=9

The Sea to Sky between Whistler and Vancouver was improved for the recent olympics and the scenery is amazing. Having lived in Whistler I think it would be a great place to stay a couple days precruise while not too far away from your cruise. September is great because the kids are back in school but it's still summer. Suggestions for activities will depend on how active you want to be ;)

Once you narrow down what you want to do I'm sure it will be easier to decide. As someone mentioned if you are flying in from the US the airfare difference might make up for a rental car or train from Washington state.

I've driven this route many times and it is a lovely twisty drive on a beautiful day. Lots of switchbacks. Be forewarned, it is a long drive especially if you are planning to make a couple of stops along the way. In September, the leaves may start to change. Traffic coming in from Hope can be a bear and the new Port Mann bridge is tolled. By heading up to Whistler, you will see lots of mountains.

On the drive up to Whistler, just before you arrive in Squamish, is Shannon Falls. In Whistler, there is the Peak to Peak gondola.

As an alternate plan, you could also take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay over to Gibsons/Sunshine Coast. It's beautiful there.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find that the "loop" drive coming back in to the city via Hope is long and boring. You don't want to waste your time doing that.

Whistler is definitely a top destination. TONS of outdoor things to do in September. (kayaking, river rafting, hiking, and shopping! etc). Chances are, you'll be able to watch some of the more adventurous crowd "mountain" bike down the mountain. Do the Peak 2 Peak chair lift. UNBELIEVABLE. Stay IN the Village. We like "the Summit" - not too expensive and close to everything. Great restaurant across from it for breakfast as well as beside it for breakfast. Hy's Steak House is just around the corner (it's the only Hy's that doesn't require a jacket/tie). There's also an outdoor Scandinavian Spa that's neat to experience. (the larger hotels, ie: Chateau etc are not in the village ... it's never been our desire to not stay close to the action during the summer months). SO, my recommendation is to stay IN the Village where you can easily walk everywhere.

Last September I spent a few days in Kelowna to go mountain biking and see the local area. It was a fantastic experience and the B&B I stayed at was one of the best lodging experiences I've ever had, thanks to the proprietors. Kelowna has a surprisingly hot and dry climate. There's lots of wineries, fruit orchards, and it's on a huge "finger lake" with a lot of water recreation.

Afterwards, I drove to Vancouver on Hwy 3 through Penticton, Keremos, Princeton and Hope. Then Hwy 1 (freeway) into Vancouver It was a great drive. The scenery was great, though I can't say it was jaw-dropping. Mostly forest-covered mountains. Several Vancouver friends and people on this forum recommended the Hwy 3 route vs. the 97C/5 route which is faster but less scenic.

Hope this helps!

I agree with Simply Coffee on a lot of points. Don't bother driving the longer routes; the direct route via Sea To Sky Highway is a beautiful drive.

On the way, there's Horseshoe Bay (must have fish & chips!), Porteau Cove, Brackendale, Shannon Falls and lots of viewing areas/ rest areas where you can pull over and soak in the views.

There's a wide range of accommodations/ pricing in Whistler and as Simply Coffee suggested, stay in the Village or even the Upper Village. The Peak to Peak gondola ride is beautiful.

We have a timeshare in Whisler and have been going up 2 x a year for over 20 years; we never tire of the views or Whistler 'vibe'.

There's a liquor store and IGA (groceries) in the village, so depending on your accommodation, you could always pick up a few food items, which will save you some $$. Not gonna lie, Whistler is expensive.

Dubh Linn Gate Irish Pub has an excellent Steak & Guinness Pie if you're looking for comfort food, Kypriaki Norte has fantastic Greek food and we always have breakfast at La Brasserie (reasonably priced & GREAT for people watching).

Archived