Pre-Venice, Munich excursion to King Ludwig's Castles then night train to Venice?

mikeerdas

Prior to a Venice RT cruise in May, we're flying into Munich. We'd like to see King Ludwig's castles before taking the train to Venice. But have very little time. Can anyone recommend a good tour company for doing an excursion from Munich to Neuschwanstein and possibly Schloss Linderhof? Have read that a car would be most efficient. But really don't want to drive.

Would also be interested in hearing about the night train from Munich to Venice. We'd splurge for a two person sleeper. I know we'd miss all the lovely scenery you'd observe on the day train between Munich and Venice. But something's got to give. And we want to be sure we maximize our Venice time (e.g. arriving early AM in Venice versus late afternoon or evening).

Checking the English version of the German rail site:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

I'm seeing prices of 481 euros (around USD $642) for two people for the Munich to Venice overnight train (City Night line), departing Munich 11:40pm and arriving in Venice at 8:34am direct (no train changes). That's the total price for "2 persons in Deluxe Double cabin"--meaning it has its own toilet and shower.

There are Economy cabins with wash-basin only (toilet and shower down the hall) for less--around 355 euros (~$475 US).

If we were going to take a night train, I'd be more comfortable with the Deluxe, but the price is painful.

Trying to find out what the day train costs are from Munich to Venice (very likely with a change in Verona) to have a basis for comparison. But the bahn.de site isn't cooperating.

Wondering whether it's worth taking the train from Munich to some middle-point between Munich and Venice and getting a hotel. Then resuming the journey the next day. Opinions on this or other options? I suppose we could fly from Munich to Venice, but airport connections are typically a pain. Versus trains being city center to city center.

Money is one factor. Having more or less time in Venice is another (more is better). But one thing I don't like is the near-midnight departure time for the overnight train. Believe there's an earlier one around 9pm, but it has at least one connection--possibly defeating the purpose of a night train, depending when the change is.

Just fly if time is a factor.

Not necessarily best for me. Don't like arriving at night in a city I've never visited before. Train would be a good option. Wondering if the CNL City Night line fares from Munich to Venice are fixed or if the price fluctuates / if there are sales. I could purchase 3 months out.

If you do a 7 AM nonstop flight. You get to Venice by 8AM. These flights are $140 each and you could sleep at the airport hotel that night allowing you to be at check-in 90 minutes before the flight. I used edreams for city to city flights in Europe.

Thanks Rebecca. Not a bad idea. I'd been looking around for flights and only saw ones at or exceeding the cost of a train. Never heard of "edreams" so will take a look. Eventually did find one lowish cost carrier on my own Air Dolomiti; but had not checked to see if they had early morning flights. Sounds like a great alternative. I'll check it out. It's not like I'd see anything scenery-wise on a night train.

Or who knows. Maybe I could spend the evening/night in Salzburg instead, then fly directly to Venice (if there are affordable flights).

My husband and I have booked in a co-ed 4 person sleeper (I don't know if these are always available - we went from Amsterdam to Basel) and I found it an interesting experience. We ended up with a chatty dutchman and a woman that we really never saw (got on very late) but you might want to consider it. You'll have plenty of luxurious nights on the ship - I enjoy a nighttrain from time to time. And it is a great way to meet locals! and certainlly cheaper than the 2 person private deluxe. You might want to post this on Fodor's travel boards to find out if you can buy tickets ahead of time for a cheaper price.

Munich was a wonderful place. Very friendly people, clean. We took a tour bus from downtown Munich to king Ludwig's castle with one stop at a small Bavarian town. All day affair. I'm sure you can do a google search of companirpes that would just go to the castle.

I have to tell you that the castle is very challenging. You can hike the whole thing up from the base or you can have a horse drawn carriage take you part way and then you hike straight up steep grades. The tour inside has loads of stairs. You go in by time in a group. It runs you through a little quickly and then you have to hike down steep walkways. It was misty when we were there adding to the unsafe feeling of hiking something on such a grade. Glad we did it but we weren't at all prepared to understand that there are no cars up the hill. Just FYI before you go to such lengths before getting to Venice. If it were me, I'd go straight to Venice since there is so much to do there. IMO

Archived