Flying into West Palm Beach for Port of Miami?

Drew9753

Does anyone have any advice on using West Palm Beach as an airport for the port of Miami? Looks like its an hour and half drive. Any issues involved? We are cruising in february 2006. Thank you in advance for everyones help.

I've done it. The reason: airfare was cheaper.

It is a long drive. Something you need to consider...is it worth the extra hassle? I personally will not do it again. Here is how my trip went.

The arrival was nice and the smaller airport was nice. I rented a car so you get on a shuttle and get a rental car. Stand in line to get it. Then drive to Miami where we stayed overnight. The hotel charged a nightly parking fee (though many on the outskirts of Miami do not). Woke thge next morning and dropped the car off at Miami airport. Took their shuttle from the rental agency to Miami terminal (could have called and had a taxi come to the agency but decided to pick one up at the airport instead). Got in the taxi and paid another $25 to get to Miami Port. $50 for the car, $10 for parking, $25 taxi... and a whole lotta time.

You want to relax. Think about flying into Miami, getting a taxi and that's it.

You are right. That sounds like a hassle. However, we are cruising with my parents who are driving down a week early. I am thinking they will be able to pick us up from the airport and drive us to a hotel, then to the port. Would that make a difference to you? Or would you still choose Miami airport?

The nice thing about PBI is that it's small and well-designed. It's right off of I-95, so you just hop on and head south... Living here, I really wouldn't hesitate using PBI if the price is right. The good thing about south Florida is that you have three decently sized airports to compare prices with. The "hassle-level" of the airports increases as you go south (PBI - FLL - MIA), but generally so does availability of flights.

You can get a hotel anywhere from Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Obviously, they're everywhere. The drive shouldn't be a big issue, especially on a weekend with no traffic.

Having your parents there early to help is a definite plus. I would not hesitate if that were the case. Like the other poster said..PBI is a nice small airport and you do get around a lot easier. Not having a rental car is a big positive for you. I would definitely do it.

I have homes in both west palm and miami (a long story) but...I always always prefer to fly out of west palm..unless it's international...and it takes me exactly one hour on a good traffic day to get to the port. I drove to the port of Miami from west palm nearly every saturday and/or sunday, and Fridays when my boyfriend was stationed in Miami so to me it's not a big deal. It's not a hassle at all. They could drop you off at a hotel near the port (I always prefer Miami Biscayne Bay Marriot 5 minutes away), if they dropped you off like during the day you'd encounter very little traffic problems and it's a straight shot off I-95. Just my thoughts...Menina

You are right. That sounds like a hassle. However, we are cruising with my parents who are driving down a week early. I am thinking they will be able to pick us up from the airport and drive us to a hotel, then to the port. Would that make a difference to you? Or would you still choose Miami airport?

I was in West Palm last fall and I noted the frequent train service. I was thinking that I could fly into West Palm, take a taxi to the train, take a train to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, and then a taxi to the pier.

Would this work? Please, somebody burst my bubble if I'm wrong!!!

to Seattleadjuster: the train is called TRI-RAIL it seems like it can be done, I live in south fla, but have never traveled the train south. I think you would need some connection, but check with them http://www.tri-rail.com/Under destinations, opt for American Airlines Arena or Bayside Marketplace (they are all connected) they are right next to the Port of Miami, you could probable get a very short cab ride. Hope this helps.

and to all those who want to save $$ by flying into PBI: even though its an 1 plus drive, it is a direct all highway drive. I would even consider car service if you dont want the hassle of renting a car. And I would probably consider a Fort Lauderdale stay which is in between. Hotel prices are better and still a veryconvenient drive (by however means) to Port of Miami. Miami Hotels near the port are in a downtown area and tend to be high priced. Another option is stay in South Beach its 10-15 minutes outside the Port of Miami. Of course as beautiful as it is the hotel prices are higher but getting a cab to the port is a piece of cake.

Archived