Which current Cunard Captains are RNR ??

Transatlantic Tom

Commodore Warwick is, Capt's Wright, Bates and Perkins are not. Don't know about Capt. McNaught.

Come to think of it, QM2 doesn't fly the Blue Ensign so perhaps Commodore Warwick is now retired?

Colin:

Thanks for the information !!

My wife and I happened to be in New York on Saturday May 28, and went over to the NYPST to see QM2 depart for Southampton. I'm pretty sure that I saw the Blue Ensign aloft prior to her undocking.

Was Commodore Warwick aboard and in command for that voyage ??

Tom

Commodore Warwick was QM2's master during the "Tandem Crossing" last year, and the red duster was being flown during that trip. I have yet to see any photos of the blue ensign being flown on the QM2.

I literally do not know what the British Merchant Marine and RN rules are about flying the Blue Ensign and "Red Duster", but I'm curious about this.

My first QE2 voyage was in 1981 from NY to Southampton with Captain Douglas Ridley in command. The Blue Ensign was flying at the stern of QE2 on sailing day. I know that Ridley was RNR, and therefore I have always assumed that the selection of ensign was simply related to the master's status...but we all know how dangerous it can be to assume.

Does anyone know the definitive rules on this topic ???

Tom

Colin:

Thank you very much !!!

This is what I love about the CC Boards - If I have a question on a particular topic someone who is wiser or more knowledgeable than I will usually provide the answer !!!

Thanks also to Ken, Calliope, and anthony for your contributions too.

Anyone who loves ships is a friend of mine !!!!

Tom:)

Ken:

This sounds alot like things over here - in the sense that back in the 1950s and 1960s many, if not most, crewmembers on board US merchant ships were veterans of WWII and/or the Korean War. These days the numbers of ex-military in general are fewer and fewer, what with the end of the US military draft in the early 1970s and the professional military.

Tom

Commodore Warwick is R.N.R. Retd. He holds a warrant which allows him to fly the Blue Ensign, but he chooses to fly the Red Ensign on the QM2.

He is also F.N.I., Fellow of the Nautical Institute. I am just a plain old M.N.I.... Member Nautical Institutre.

Stephen

Archived