grand suite ? on explorer

hi,

we are considering the explorer of the seas for aug 21-28. we will be traveling w/4 adults and my 2 1/2 yr old son. i am wondering if anyone has stayed in one of the grand suites and if they think it is big enough for that many people? i am not sure if we should take the suite (nice to have a bath tub and a little more room for the baby) or if we should get 2 balcony rooms. the pricing is working out pretty much the same since we are dividing it evenly. does anybody have any suggestions??

thanks,

gina

Have been in a GS on Brilliance, Radiance and Adventure. They are nice and big but I would not rec. it for 4 adults. Not enough room and too long a line at the bathroom when getting ready for dinner etc. It is a nice room for two people who want lots of room and have people over. I would go with the 2 balcony rooms.

Mark

Well, if you don't plan on spending a ton of time in the cabin and all four of you are splitting the cost, it could work out. Honestly, it's a larger cabin and it is very nice, but I was a wee bit shocked as it is smaller than it appears in every picture on the Internet. In other words, it's not as big as it looks on line. It will be a tight fit for 4 Adults + a toddler. Also, the tub is about 18 inches off the floor and while the bathroom is fabulous without a doubt, the marble tile is slippery and you'd definitely want to be watching your little one in the tub should he or she want to get out without your help. It could work, but like the previous poster, you might want to consider two rooms or possibly a Family Suite?? That has some nice space to it.

Okay, I'm getting a little paranoid reading your posts. I too have booked a GS on the Explorer, but mine is for 2 adults and 3 kids ages 5-11.

Do you think we will be okay? I don't really think I have much choice though. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the kids across the hall or in a balcony room of their own. It is our first GS and the kids first cruise.

The RFS is way too expensive and isn't available anyway.

What do you all think?

Thanks, Sharonna

Guest OBAYbee

Yikes, 2 adults and 3 kids will be very tight. I take it they will be adding a roll away bed then.

IMO, GS with 4 is crowded more then 4 would be way to crowded for my taste.

Yikes, 2 adults and 3 kids will be very tight. I take it they will be adding a roll away bed then.

IMO, GS with 4 is crowded more then 4 would be way to crowded for my taste.

Yes, they would be adding a roll-away bed. I've heard that they hide it during the day and it doesn't get in the way.

Do you have any suggestions as to what would be a better option? The kids are 5, 7 & 11.

Thanks,

Sharonna

Guest OBAYbee

Have you asked about the Family suite? Not the RFS but the family suite. That's what I would choose. I imagine since your children are old enough to not require a nap and young enough to not hog up the bathroom getting ready everyday that perhaps the GS could work. If not I dont know how you would manage to get a child their nap since there is only the one room.

Relax, you'll be fine. You'll have plenty of room. Two kids on the pull-out couch and yes, the roll-away cot can be put away. If the bathroom situation gets too crowded, one of the adults can shower up at the spa. In your situation, a GS is far better than two cabins - kids are just too young to be across the hall. Have fun!

Relax, you'll be fine. You'll have plenty of room. Two kids on the pull-out couch and yes, the roll-away cot can be put away. If the bathroom situation gets too crowded, one of the adults can shower up at the spa. In your situation, a GS is far better than two cabins - kids are just too young to be across the hall. Have fun!

Thank you, I feel much better now. I was already phoning the DH to see if we could do the OS. LOL. I had considered the FS, but I really, really want a balcony and the family suite only has one bathroom and no bath. Definitly not an option. I need that bath for the 5 year old.

By the way, the kids do not nap anymore so that is not an issue.

Thanks for all your help.

Sharonna

Shar, I think you'll be fine and I know what you mean about having a tub! Little ones don't like showers too much, kind of scary for them. Having three kids in there will be a lot different than having 4 adults. You'll like the GS and the perks that come along with it. The Concierge has great DVDs or VHS tapes that definitely come in handy when the little ones needs to wind down from a big day!

Have fun! You'll be fine in the GS, but if hubby does pop for the OS, don't pass it by.. hee hee hee!

Thanks for the input everybody.

Kevinsmom, sorry for butting in on your thread.

SamIAm, I think I will save the $1,000 diff on the OS and use it on Froo Froo drinks. LOL

Sharonna

Shar,

I'm in the same predicament as you are. We are a family of five, two adults, children 13, 11, and 7. We thought about the two rooms, but were sold on the GS being so "large" and the concierge benefits.

We were on Disney last October and had five in the one room. It was not problem then, though Disney does have the split baths that came in useful.

We're not going until November. Please let me know how you fare!

Scott

hi,

we are considering the explorer of the seas for aug 21-28. we will be traveling w/4 adults and my 2 1/2 yr old son. i am wondering if anyone has stayed in one of the grand suites and if they think it is big enough for that many people? i am not sure if we should take the suite (nice to have a bath tub and a little more room for the baby) or if we should get 2 balcony rooms. the pricing is working out pretty much the same since we are dividing it evenly. does anybody have any suggestions??

thanks,

gina

For Kevinsmom I would recommend 2 junior suites with connecting balconies. We just love the junior suite for what you get in space and ambience for the price. And, two, side-by-side with connecting balconies would give you tons of room and two bathrooms (and they have tubs).

Shar,

I'm in the same predicament as you are. We are a family of five, two adults, children 13, 11, and 7. We thought about the two rooms, but were sold on the GS being so "large" and the concierge benefits.

We were on Disney last October and had five in the one room. It was not problem then, though Disney does have the split baths that came in useful.

We're not going until November. Please let me know how you fare!

Scott

I wish I could, but you are going before me. LOL. I'm not until Dec. 11th.

Sharonna

Archived