Doing it differently....Amtrak

arkjeweler

We've taken Amtrak to Baltimore for an RC! cruise. When calculating the cost remember with Amtrak you don't have the charge for parking your car at the port. Our hotel had a free shuttle to the port and the station is in the downtown so the cab to the hotel was cheap.

Ours was a one day train trip - our bottom line was less than gas for driving with parking at the port. :)

it's been many years since I've taken Amtrak. More recently than that I've done a lot of travelling by train in the UK and really enjoy it.

I've been thinking that if I ever take a cruise out of New Orleans I might look into taking Amtrak. It would really depend on the price and the schedule. Last I checked trains only run between Houston and NO three days a week.

I'm the original poster. I've never been on Amtrak and thought it would be a lot of fun. We are driving from northwest arkansas to meet my wife's brother and girlfriend who are going on the cruise with us. It's probably a little more costly than driving, but a lot less hassle. We're not worried about delays, as we have all day. Glad to see other people who are thinking like us.

We are also taking the Amtrak from Birmingham to New Orleans. It will be another first for us.

I did the train from B'ham last . I think it was about 75 dollars RT. The only problem is that the return train leaves at 7am. So you will have to spend the night after the cruise. I just drive now and spend the night in Slidel and drive in to port in the morning. But the train is fun if you want to stay a extra night in N.O.

I am glad to see this thread - I don't fly well, and driving down to the Florida ports while doable is -meh. I've done that route too many times. And while I used to love road trips but not so much anymore.

Anyway, planning on doing another December cruise in 2014 and am ready to try a different ship and itinerary so seriously looking at this as a way to get there. I figure forewarned of all the potential pitfalls it'll be an adventure :-)

ILoveScotland - will look forward to hearing your review :D

We did Amtrak last month from Trenton to Orlando for our cruise on the Dream. Originally I was looking at Greyhound but people I know said if you're going to do it that way go with Amtrak. I also read enough horror stories about Greyhound to talk myself out of it.

Taking Amtrak was the same amount of time to drive which was around 20 hours, I booked two coach seats round trip for $458 with the AAA discount which was a great deal I thought. Going down was nice, relaxing and comfortable. The ride coming back was not so comfortable, we must have been in an older car, the seat cushions were flat and hard and we had to put the cute little pillows they give you under us to try and give the seat some cushion.

Overall the people were nice, the service was great and I would do it again without even thinking about it, in fact we are when we cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in December. This time though we're doing the Roomette since it's a longer trip.

I am glad to see this thread - I don't fly well, and driving down to the Florida ports while doable is -meh. I've done that route too many times. And while I used to love road trips but not so much anymore.

Anyway, planning on doing another December cruise in 2014 and am ready to try a different ship and itinerary so seriously looking at this as a way to get there. I figure forewarned of all the potential pitfalls it'll be an adventure :-)

ILoveScotland - will look forward to hearing your review :D

I don't know where you are in Western NC which can mean many things, but I just moved from the Asheville area last summer to the eastern part of NC near the coast. I love being near the ocean, but I do admit I miss the mountains sometime.

The problem with living in Western NC (well, the mountains) is that Amtrak travel is not convenient. You can go down to Greenville or Spartanburg, SC or to Charlotte and take the Crescent which goes between NYC and New Orleans, but that's about it in terms of fairly easy access.

You can drive to Charlotte or Greensboro and catch the train (Carolinian?) over to Raleigh, and then you have all the North/South trains that go to Florida.

Keep looking at options. Amtrak gets a bad rap sometime, but I like it even as it is now.

This Friday there are four couple heading on Amtrak from Chicago to NO for our Sunday cruise. 2 couples are driving. We are looking forward to this experience. We figured by the time you pay for your plane you sit in an airport for many hours. We don't care about delays we are ready for card playing and drinks to begin a night in NO before our cruise. We paid $425 for both of us. Would have paid $725 for airplanes..Rather use the extra money at Bourbon or the cruise.

We did Amtrak last month from Trenton to Orlando for our cruise on the Dream. Originally I was looking at Greyhound but people I know said if you're going to do it that way go with Amtrak. I also read enough horror stories about Greyhound to talk myself out of it.

Taking Amtrak was the same amount of time to drive which was around 20 hours, I booked two coach seats round trip for $458 with the AAA discount which was a great deal I thought. Going down was nice, relaxing and comfortable. The ride coming back was not so comfortable, we must have been in an older car, the seat cushions were flat and hard and we had to put the cute little pillows they give you under us to try and give the seat some cushion.

Overall the people were nice, the service was great and I would do it again without even thinking about it, in fact we are when we cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in December. This time though we're doing the Roomette since it's a longer trip.

Hi Loribeth, Looks like we are neighbors. I am in Jackson as well.

We are thinking of taking Amtrak to Baltimore this summer for our Pride cruise. How did you handle luggage in Trenton? Amtrak's site says there is no checked baggage offered. Also, if you don't mind one more question. If I book a 1pm return trip and disembark runs long can I take a later train?

Thanks!

I don't know where you are in Western NC which can mean many things, but I just moved from the Asheville area last summer to the eastern part of NC near the coast. I love being near the ocean, but I do admit I miss the mountains sometime.

The problem with living in Western NC (well, the mountains) is that Amtrak travel is not convenient. You can go down to Greenville or Spartanburg, SC or to Charlotte and take the Crescent which goes between NYC and New Orleans, but that's about it in terms of fairly easy access.

You can drive to Charlotte or Greensboro and catch the train (Carolinian?) over to Raleigh, and then you have all the North/South trains that go to Florida.

Keep looking at options. Amtrak gets a bad rap sometime, but I like it even as it is now.

Hey ILoveScotland -

I'm in Asheville. And you know who I am! You must not recognize my profile pic - sigh, I do look skinnier in it. Maybe this year I can get back into some smaller sizes. Hint: That was from when I was in Denver before I moved back :p

I had no idea you were a fan of the train and am so glad - you hear such bad things about Amtrak but Rick and I find we are fairly laid back travelers - ANYTHING is better than being in front of a computer all day - so thought if we are forearmed with knowledge we might enjoy it. He's been on the train before when he was younger, but I never have. We really enjoyed the Fantasy, for instance, but I think if I had different expectations going in, I would have been disappointed in some things. Maybe reading negative reviews isn't such a bad thing!

The route I found was Charlotte to Cary and then down - for two people one way it was less than $200 (at least for this December). Coach of course - but actually adding a sleeper car on wasn't bad. I was actually surprised how doable it was. When I've researched going back out west it's just hard to justify.

And I see you are going to Norway by your signature!!!! How cool is that??!!

We took Amtrak last October, the City of New Orleans, and loved it.

Something you may or may not know, if you are taking a cruise from New Orleans or Orlando, or another Amtrak destination with a cruise port, you may qualify for a discount. We saved about $100 on our Amtrak tickets, including the roomette with this discount. You have to call Amtrak however, to make this kind of reservation and the fare must be at it's lowest rate. This can get confusing and if you need more info just let me know.

Candy

We took Amtrak last October, the City of New Orleans, and loved it.

Something you may or may not know, if you are taking a cruise from New Orleans or Orlando, or another Amtrak destination with a cruise port, you may qualify for a discount. We saved about $100 on our Amtrak tickets, including the roomette with this discount. You have to call Amtrak however, to make this kind of reservation and the fare must be at it's lowest rate. This can get confusing and if you need more info just let me know.

Candy

That's good to know. I knew about the AAA and AARP and Senior discounts but not this one. When I get ready to book I'll call.

Beth

We traveled on the Empire Builder -Chicago to Seattle last year in May before our cruise. Great experience. We had a sleeper for two which included all meals. The service was good in the diner and our sleeper. They always had coffee and juice available . We enjoyed to scenery and the friendly travelers. Large suitcases for cruise placed in the lower level.

This year, we are going on the Southwest Chief-Chicago to LA. Booked far enough in advance to get the good rate. :)

I don't understand how some of you think Amtrak has any kind of "deals". I have test booked trips from Chicago to Seattle. 2 day trip almost $200 one way and then the smallest roomette is an extra $700! :eek:

When I do South Bend Indiana to Orlando Florida, the trip one way is $130 and add $400 for a roomette! Also 2 day travel.

I don't like flying but I got round trip from South Bend to Orlando for right around $200 total for a 2 1/2 hour flight each way for my cruise in March and I looked up Chicago to Seattle for a possible future Alaska cruise and found round trip for $400 total for a 4 1/2 hour flight each way. If I could get a roomette on a train in trade for the time discrepancy at the same price, I would definitely go with the train but they just want STUPID money for a roomette so it's flying I go.

We traveled on the Empire Builder -Chicago to Seattle last year in May before our cruise. Great experience. We had a sleeper for two which included all meals. The service was good in the diner and our sleeper. They always had coffee and juice available . We enjoyed to scenery and the friendly travelers. Large suitcases for cruise placed in the lower level.

This year, we are going on the Southwest Chief-Chicago to LA. Booked far enough in advance to get the good rate. :)

My then husband, our 7 year old daughter and I took the Empire Builder to Seattle to see my sister back in the late 70s when there was a northern route and one that was a little bit more southerly. We went out one way and back another. We were still pretty young, so we went coach the whole way.

That trip got me hooked, and although it's been a while I eventually took the Coast Starlight from Oakland to LA, and I've been on the Crescent from New York to New Orleans although not in one trip. I've also been from Hamlet, NC to Orlando and from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. I want to do the train that goes from Chicago west through Denver as the crossing of the Rockies is supposed to be magnificent.

We are traveling Amtrak from Cincinnati to NYC. I checked on travel from Indy (as it is normally much cheaper when flying, anyway). Wow I was surprised. Going from Indy to NYC was a couple hundred more than cincinnati. I also checked going to LA as we are cruising from there in Oct. The train was much more expensive as you had to be on there several days and would need a roomette. Going to NYC was considerably cheaper than flying and when I figured mileage in our vehicle it came about the same as the train if not a bit cheaper. Maybe the problem you are having is the stations you are trying to go out on. I said something to the Amtrak lady about my surprise at Indy being higher and she said it had to do with the train schedule?

I don't understand how some of you think Amtrak has any kind of "deals". I have test booked trips from Chicago to Seattle. 2 day trip almost $200 one way and then the smallest roomette is an extra $700! :eek:

When I do South Bend Indiana to Orlando Florida, the trip one way is $130 and add $400 for a roomette! Also 2 day travel.

I don't like flying but I got round trip from South Bend to Orlando for right around $200 total for a 2 1/2 hour flight each way for my cruise in March and I looked up Chicago to Seattle for a possible future Alaska cruise and found round trip for $400 total for a 4 1/2 hour flight each way. If I could get a roomette on a train in trade for the time discrepancy at the same price, I would definitely go with the train but they just want STUPID money for a roomette so it's flying I go.

We took Amtrak twice last year from IL to NOLA. The first time was in coach and I will NEVER do that again. The second time was with our 2 boys and we each shared a roomette with one of them. It was great, no problems at all. It cost us $800 total with the cruise port discount, those might have ended though. It ended up being pretty comparable to driving when you figure in gas hotels and food for the trip both ways plus parking. That being said you have to keep watching the sleeper rates and book at the right time. We paid $92 per sleeper each way but shortly before we booked and shortly after we booked they were well over $200. I have no idea if there is a way to predict when the prices will be down.

We are traveling Amtrak from Cincinnati to NYC. I checked on travel from Indy (as it is normally much cheaper when flying, anyway). Wow I was surprised. Going from Indy to NYC was a couple hundred more than cincinnati. I also checked going to LA as we are cruising from there in Oct. The train was much more expensive as you had to be on there several days and would need a roomette. Going to NYC was considerably cheaper than flying and when I figured mileage in our vehicle it came about the same as the train if not a bit cheaper. Maybe the problem you are having is the stations you are trying to go out on. I said something to the Amtrak lady about my surprise at Indy being higher and she said it had to do with the train schedule?

Yea, it sucks because I would be more than willing to spend the extra time traveling if I could get a roomette for a decent price but I guess I am lucky to have a discount airline right in my backyard that goes right to 2 ports. A few adult beverages and I'm a great flyer! ;)

Archived