Doing it differently....Amtrak

arkjeweler

We are taking Amtrak from Orlando to Miami for our April cruise.

I hate road trips; my limit in the car is 12 minutes. If drive is over an hour, I'll book a hotel and do the return trip the next day. (And you think I'm kidding.)

We can fly to Miami and have done so many times. But it's 30 minutes to get to the airport, then there's security and checking in early...blah, blah, blah...

Amtrak station is like 2-3 miles from my house. I get on in Kissimmee and get off in Miami. It takes 6-7 hours (vs. less than 4 hours of automobile agony). So I booked a room which has a private bathroom. We'll have lunch on board, take a nap and arrive in Miami.

It cost us less than $400 round trip for 2 people including fare, bedroom & meals. We did coach on Amtrak twice before, but won't do that again. Hopefully this works!

I don't know where you are in Western NC which can mean many things, but I just moved from the Asheville area last summer to the eastern part of NC near the coast. I love being near the ocean, but I do admit I miss the mountains sometime.

The problem with living in Western NC (well, the mountains) is that Amtrak travel is not convenient. You can go down to Greenville or Spartanburg, SC or to Charlotte and take the Crescent which goes between NYC and New Orleans, but that's about it in terms of fairly easy access.

You can drive to Charlotte or Greensboro and catch the train (Carolinian?) over to Raleigh, and then you have all the North/South trains that go to Florida.

Keep looking at options. Amtrak gets a bad rap sometime, but I like it even as it is now.

Consider Columbia, SC.

We LOVE traveling by Amtrak! While we live in Charlotte, we drive to Columbia, SC because we can catch the train there and go straight thru to Miami. If we caught it here we would have to go to Raleigh, have an 8 hour layover, and then down to FL. This way we drive 45 minutes, do not pay for parking, and it takes 15.5 hours to get to Miami. We drove to Miami for this past cruise (because it was over Christmas and Amtrak was crazy expensive by the time I looked into it) and it took 13 hours going but because of traffic and stuff it took almost 17 hours to get home and we were miserable. Had we been on the train we would have had no stress and roughly the same amount of time traveled. I have already booked our tickets and roomette for our August/September B2B. The price is higher than the cost of gas but when you factor in food, wear and tear on the SUV, and being able to move about then the price can't be beat!

bonnys, it will be a bit of a hassle for me next November, but that's okay. I live in New Bern. Amtrak added a bus connection this past fall, so I can take the bus to Wilson, NC. If I were going north I'd be set. But, going south I have to go from Wilson to Raleigh with a couple of hours layover before the train to Orlando.

I don't blame you for driving to Columbia. That makes so much more sense than backtracking to Raleigh.

I'm widowed and retired and have been thinking what kind of holiday I want to go on in 2014. I've thought about buying a 30 day Amtrak pass and have played around with itineraries including when I'd want a roomette and when I would just sit in coach. I've done a fair amount of traveling alone so see something like that as a way to see the country without driving while at the same time having a grand adventure.

We are taking Amtrak from Orlando to Miami for our April cruise.

I hate road trips; my limit in the car is 12 minutes. If drive is over an hour, I'll book a hotel and do the return trip the next day. (And you think I'm kidding.)

We can fly to Miami and have done so many times. But it's 30 minutes to get to the airport, then there's security and checking in early...blah, blah, blah...

Amtrak station is like 2-3 miles from my house. I get on in Kissimmee and get off in Miami. It takes 6-7 hours (vs. less than 4 hours of automobile agony). So I booked a room which has a private bathroom. We'll have lunch on board, take a nap and arrive in Miami.

It cost us less than $400 round trip for 2 people including fare, bedroom & meals. We did coach on Amtrak twice before, but won't do that again. Hopefully this works!

$400 from Orlando to Miami roundtrip???? OMG! :eek: I spend less than HALF that round trip from northern Indiana flying!

$400 from Orlando to Miami roundtrip???? OMG! :eek: I spend less than HALF that round trip from northern Indiana flying!

We could fly it for about 1/2 of the Amtrak cost - and have flown for as little as $50+/- each way. Driving costs $100 plus in gas / tolls (plus wear & tear on the car) AND cruise parking @ $160. With either of those options, we also have to plan on travel day meals. Amtrak did cost us more, but includes everything and is more convenient. (Total was actually like $340 for two round trip including train, bedroom, meals, luggage.) Our goal was comfort, relaxing, no hassles and if all goes well...

Two biggest drawbacks to AMTRAK...1)the extra time it takes makes a weeks vacation into 10-12 days, and 2) the area of town where most Amtrak stations are located isn't the most desirable part of town, there may or may not be higher priced taxis to take you to a decent hotel and then to the port. for longer journeys the cost isn't any cheaper even with discounts and is sometimes more expensive than flying or driving. The poster here who takes Amtrak from Kissimmee to Miami shows a good case in point. 7 hours on a train versus 3.5 via the Fl Turnpike. $400 RT versus $60-$70 in gas and tolls. And you could even add port parking at $20 a day and still come out ahead. Now admittedly he/she hates riding in cars, but for most of us, Amtrak for longer than 1 hour commutes just doesn't cut the mustard. Never has, never will.

Consider Columbia, SC.

We LOVE traveling by Amtrak! While we live in Charlotte, we drive to Columbia, SC because we can catch the train there and go straight thru to Miami. If we caught it here we would have to go to Raleigh, have an 8 hour layover, and then down to FL. This way we drive 45 minutes, do not pay for parking, and it takes 15.5 hours to get to Miami. We drove to Miami for this past cruise (because it was over Christmas and Amtrak was crazy expensive by the time I looked into it) and it took 13 hours going but because of traffic and stuff it took almost 17 hours to get home and we were miserable. Had we been on the train we would have had no stress and roughly the same amount of time traveled. I have already booked our tickets and roomette for our August/September B2B. The price is higher than the cost of gas but when you factor in food, wear and tear on the SUV, and being able to move about then the price can't be beat!

We were thinking Asheville to Charlotte because there is the route that runs to Cary and then picks up the southbound train (Greenville is closer to us - but you have to go to Washington first - lol). But Columbia would be doable if it is safe to leave your car there? I think I heard it wasn't safe to part at the Charlotte station? We were going to get someone to take us, but if we could drive ourselves and park I'd definitely consider Columbia.

Can a person who is wheelchair dependent travel comfortably with Amtrak from NJ to Miami?? A large group of us will be cruising on the Breeze in November, and there is a person who is refusing to fly. Some of us were thinking of driving down with her. But after seeing this thread, maybe this is something to look into?? Does anyone know about the handicap accessibility?

Can a person who is wheelchair dependent travel comfortably with Amtrak from NJ to Miami?? A large group of us will be cruising on the Breeze in November, and there is a person who is refusing to fly. Some of us were thinking of driving down with her. But after seeing this thread, maybe this is something to look into?? Does anyone know about the handicap accessibility?

Someone else can answer definitively, but I believe Amtrak provides wheelchair accessible cars on all its trains. I know for a fact that some do, because the train my late DH and I took was from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. He was in a wheelchair, and there was a car accessible to him.

Great thread! Much more positive than all the Triumph crap thats rolling around these days.

My wife and I are doing the Amtrak thing this summer for our Boston Embarkation. Two coach trips stopping in Philly and New York. Travel time will be similar to driving, but we will be much happier by the end of it.

What is nice for us is that we will only require a quick cab ride to and from the train station. We are less than 5 miles from the Harrisburg station. The port of Boston is actually walkable from Boston South station.

I recommend booking via phone. You will have more scheduling options. Things like adding an extended layover in case you feel like having an extra couple hours to enjoy a nice meal near a particular station.

Someone else can answer definitively, but I believe Amtrak provides wheelchair accessible cars on all its trains. I know for a fact that some do, because the train my late DH and I took was from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. He was in a wheelchair, and there was a car accessible to him.

Right, all cars are accessible. However, not all stations are accessible. Some stations only have provisions for loading at street level. Accessible stations will have high platforms.

first cruise in 2002 I took the train from Dc to Florida [Orlando]......it was the trip from H***...down and back. I was/am afraid to fly......but that trip made me fly on about 8 cruises since then. It was August and some tracks had buckled from the heat. So during day light hours there was a speed restriction. The train was moving about 15 to 20 miles-an-hour.....slow......real slow.....both ways...........a 22hr trip turned into something like 26-27hour trip each way. NEVER AGAIN!

Amtrak has accesible rooms on overnight trains. They will bring meals to the room.

We took Amtrak from Chicago to Baltimore and back for a New Years Eve cruise this year. Three years ago we took Amtrak to New York City for a New England/Canada Maritimes Cruise.

Following a 2010 Alaska tour we took VIA rail (Canada) from Vancouver to Toronto.

I'll gladly pay more to avoid the hassles of flying. Just allow lots of time (always arrive a day early)... and then just watch the scenery scroll by.

Amtrak has accesible rooms on overnight trains. They will bring meals to the room.

We took Amtrak from Chicago to Baltimore and back for a New Years Eve cruise this year. Three years ago we took Amtrak to New York City for a New England/Canada Maritimes Cruise.

Following a 2010 Alaska tour we took VIA rail (Canada) from Vancouver to Toronto.

I'll gladly pay more to avoid the hassles of flying. Just allow lots of time (always arrive a day early)... and then just watch the scenery scroll by.

FINALLY! Something affordable. I forgot all about Baltimore being a Port. I looked it up and I could find a seat on Amtrak from South Bend Indiana to Baltimore for $79 each way. The roomette is still stupid expensive but for a 16 hour trip, I could do that in a regular seat. Thanks for the reminder! Might be doing some cruising out of Baltimore in the future!

Also looked up Greyhound and it's 1-2 hours less but about $10 more each way. Think I'd go with the train. :)

SpeedsterX, by your signature, it looks like you would also be comfortable with Royal Caribbean. One nice thing about Baltimore is the Pride and Grandeur OTS do very different itineraries so between the 2 you can get a reasonable variety of cruise options. Penn station to the dock is probably about 10 minutes by taxi.

Roy

SpeedsterX, by your signature, it looks like you would also be comfortable with Royal Caribbean. One nice thing about Baltimore is the Pride and Grandeur OTS do very different itineraries so between the 2 you can get a reasonable variety of cruise options. Penn station to the dock is probably about 10 minutes by taxi.

Roy

Thanks for the info Roy! Hadn't thought to check with RCI either. Time from station to dock was my very next question. Thanks for that too! :)

We took Amtrak last October, the City of New Orleans, and loved it.

Something you may or may not know, if you are taking a cruise from New Orleans or Orlando, or another Amtrak destination with a cruise port, you may qualify for a discount. We saved about $100 on our Amtrak tickets, including the roomette with this discount. You have to call Amtrak however, to make this kind of reservation and the fare must be at it's lowest rate. This can get confusing and if you need more info just let me know.

Candy

They are not offering it on Carnival for 2013 cruises,. Spoke to different people at Carnival..

• 2 weeks later...
Why not drive? Its only a 7 hour drive, and will be half the cost of the train.

We will be taking the Amtrak from Memphis to NO in two weeks. We decided to do this because no one wanted to put the miles on their cars or leave their cars at the port. My family lives in the Memphis area.. so we don't have to worry about leaving cars at the train station. It was $162 one way for 3 people. We're renting a car for the return trip.

Also, it was just something we all have wanted to try...

But.. thats why we chose the train over driving. All of us have fairly new cars (mine's only 2 months old) and don't want the miles/ wear and tear.

Anyways... we have regular lower level seats.. and I'll let you all know how it goes!

We have bought Amtrak tickets from Memphis to New Orleans. Cost for 2 people for a private room was $390. This includes meals. Private room includes 2 recliners, bed, and private bath with a great window view. Airline tickets were $800 for 2, plus cost of any food, etc. That's over $400 in savings. That gives us an additional couple of days in New Orleans and we get to see some of this wonderful country! Has anyone else travelled to their port by train?

We did this, Loved it, we just went coach, there is really no need to pay the extra, especially when you are boarding in Memphis. But did you ask for the 20% discount you can get when leaving on a cruise. Google it, if you did not and call back and see if they can still apply the discount.

DH is a conductor with Amtrak and yes, the trains are accessible. However, the passenger must be able to care for themselves, i.e. restrooms, feeding, etc. If they cannot, they must travel with a care taker.

Having said all of that, I love to take the train. We never do since DH works six days a week on one. :rolleyes:

We did Amtrak from Memphis to New Orleans for our cruise in May 2011. We really enjoyed the train ride down. We did our return the last day of the cruise, had to wait a couple of hours to leave New Orleans and it took forever to get our luggage once we returned to Memphis. That was our only complaint.

I love Amtrak!

In the past 18 months, I've logged almost 20,000 miles on Amtrak, most of them in coach and all of it was leisure/fun travel.

I haven't had a bad experience yet or met a nasty employee either, ymmv.

In fact, I decided to start cruising again because I can take the City of New Orleans from Chicago to NOLA.

I dragged my husband along at the end of Jan. and booked a bedroom roundtrip on the CONO to take a cruise on Elation and now I'm totally hooked.

The train was the land cruise part of my vacation and will be for all of my future cruises from my adopted home port of New Orleans.

Archived