To take Malarone for Silver Spirit Panama Canal

cruiseryder

We are on Silver Spirit Panama Canal in March (really excited now) and it has been suggested we take Malarone because we are visiting Costa Rica. Most web-sites give this as low risk area. Has anyone else been advised ? A relative did Panama a couple of years ago and nothing was advised to them

We are on Silver Spirit Panama Canal in March (really excited now) and it has been suggested we take Malarone because we are visiting Costa Rica. Most web-sites give this as low risk area. Has anyone else been advised ? A relative did Panama a couple of years ago and nothing was advised to them

Our US Centers for Disease Control lists ONLY Limon province in Costa Rica as having any risk of Malaria, and that is a low-risk area. The city of Puerto Limon is not included in the at-risk area. Limon province is on the Caribbean (Gulf) coast; the Pacific coastal region of CR is NOT an at-risk area, and prophylaxis for malaria is not recommended when traveling there.

Here is a link: http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/c.html

You may also want to check specific regions of Panama to see if prophylaxis is recommended when visiting there.

If it's not required, then I would strongly suggest not taking it on vacation! Malarone and other anti-malaria meds do cause vivid dreams, diarrhea, and all kinds of fun side effects that will ruin your vacation.

I know this because my hubby has to take it every day for his work in Africa. Not fun, according to him!:(

Thanks everyone for your responses this eases my mind.

I had checked last year (when we were thinking of the trip) with our local GP surgery and they had advised it was low risk and malarone not recommended but this year the Travel Nurse has left and not been replaced so I was directed to a Travel Clinic. They then gave me conflicting answers which confused us.

Archived