Anyone joining me on the QM2 Nov 11 2006

legospice

I have just spoken to Cunard who say we can still do the same crossing from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale followed by the 2 week Carribbean but it will have to start 1 week later. The only problem is that our cnfirmed cabin, number 8052, is now not available for the second week of the Carribbean!! What happens now?

I too was scheduled to return on the Nov. 11 crossing. Good thing I hadn't made any plans prior to that. Suspect I will cancel the crossing over on Oct. 24 since the return on the 18th won't work for me. Let's see what Cunard has to say since my TA knew nothing about it until I called after seeing the news on the board.

I have received a letter from Cunard this morning detailing the change of date to one week later and offering $50 per person credit on board. I have had to sign and send back a form saying I was OK with this. On a grim but positive note I read somewhere that the hurricane season lasted till the end of October so I suppose this gives an extra week for any problems to be sorted out should the forces of nature strike again.

Hi all,

Just returned from fab caribbean cruise to find the bad news from cunard, what to do? we have flights to southampton (non refundable) booked, a bahamas cruise booked for the 20th (will lose £100 deposit each), 2 nights in ft lauderdale and 1 night miami hotels booked (non refundable) and a flight from heathrow back to scotland booked and guess what, yes non refundable. we will lose £320 each and have to pay for more flights on top, and all we get is a $50 obc, sound like a bum deal. If we cancel we will still lose out on everything and the QM2.

I cant see why if its broken now, why wait till november to fix it. Any suggestions guys, need to make up mind soon.

Donna

Hi all,

Just returned from fab caribbean cruise to find the bad news from cunard, what to do? we have flights to southampton (non refundable) booked, a bahamas cruise booked for the 20th (will lose £100 deposit each), 2 nights in ft lauderdale and 1 night miami hotels booked (non refundable) and a flight from heathrow back to scotland booked and guess what, yes non refundable. we will lose £320 each and have to pay for more flights on top, and all we get is a $50 obc, sound like a bum deal. If we cancel we will still lose out on everything and the QM2.

I cant see why if its broken now, why wait till november to fix it. Any suggestions guys, need to make up mind soon.

Donna

First thing, I would document all of your plans, and contact Cunard by fax, email- via their web site, or letter, maybe all three- just to be sure! You might want to try to phone their HQ, also- Maybe sk for the PR department or perhaps the vice president of operations or customer service (they always have one of those in every company! <G> So it's a fishing expedition. Maybe you'll get lucky!) Make sure your letter is not accusatory and whining or angry. Just state the facts, ask for better compensation, (Be specific- go for high numbers, whether a fully paid future cruise or payment of your expenses, then negotiate any counter offer) under the circumstance, and see if they offer anything better. I think they are weeding out the easy ones early. I also think they know that they are not going to be able to get away with a lousy fifty bucks for all passengers. If you do this privately, where everyone else doesn't know what you are getting, IMHO, you have a shot at them doing something better for you. Then, someone here mentioned (with the Rio debacle) that British passnegers are required to purchase insurance. Not sure what it covers, but get a copy of that policy (if that is true) and read every dot, every whereas and therefore.

You have my sympathy. What a horrible disappointment! Money, notwithstanding. And don't give up yet. I think we haven't heard the end of this yet. I also don't think their dates may stay as announced. I've been involved in too many big projects that get changed. You might check with the shhipyard too. Someone here seem to know alot about this shipyard. Is there an insider that knows what their scheduling is like and whether these are the only times they could put her in their schedule? If they don't want to reveal themselves, maybe they could b/c someone with the answer. Several of us have posted our private email addies- Mine is parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com.

Karie, who is getting way too paranoid about booking labor day!

Thank you for the good advice,

I will get on to it first thing. Yes we do have to purchase insurance but as most insurance companies the try to get out of paying up, they say cruise line should compensate, cruise line says claim from insurance. Catch 22 i think. We also have to pay a non refundable/non transferable deposit, so if you cancel you lose. I liked the good old days when the cruise lines let you book through a US agent and and nothing was final until final payment was made, you could transfer your booking to another cruise, another agent AND get the price drops refunded to you, but alas it is no more and we get the rough end of the stick at all times.

I will see what transpires over the next few days and i will keep you all informed.

thank you again

Donna

Archived