Cabin forward - good or bad ???

gg3

:confused: Cabin A231, Diamond Princess, headed for Alaska in June. At first I thought this was an ok cabin, but have been reading posts about the wind being so bad on the balcony that far forward. I think I need some reassurance from ya'll. Have been so excited, now a bit of a damper. gg

GG:

It looks like a good spot to me. You aren't all the way forward and have great access to the Lido deck. Why do you think there's a problem? The only issue I know about was with the rooms that face forward.

Shar

My office has ZERO wind, I'll trade you for your cruise/cabin! ;)

Balconies have side walls so the wind probably won't matter much. Of course, if its very windy/cold, no place outside will be comfortable but just enjoy the gorgeous view from inside until it gets better.

Hope you have a great time.

Oh Shar and Trovador - thanks a million for the comments.:p You know when you dream of this trip for so long, and you want everything wonderful, you hate to hear negative comments. I appreciate your positive ones. gg

:confused: Cabin A231, Diamond Princess, headed for Alaska in June. At first I thought this was an ok cabin, but have been reading posts about the wind being so bad on the balcony that far forward. I think I need some reassurance from ya'll. Have been so excited, now a bit of a damper. gg

It doesn't make that much difference where you are in relation to the front or back except the very front facing forward and the very back looking at the wake. It is the relative wind that counts (Ships speed and direction combined with wind velocity and direction). On the Sea Princess we were way up forward starboard side (aloha deck) for a 14 day Fort L to San Diego cruise. Except for a couple of days it was delightful on our Balcony. I wouldn't hesitate to take the same Cabin again.

Reference forward cabins on Grand class ships - it is a very long walk back to the aft elevators, which you will probably use a lot if eating in the main (traditional) dining room, and using Horizon Court.

As noted above, wind can be a factor at times.

In smooth seas, ride should be fine. Rough seas it can get a bit bouncy forward, if the ship is pitching. On our trans-Atlantic on Golden Princess, 8-02, we hit two large storms west of the Azores, and had a lot of pitching. We were in C-250, and had bow slap spray raining down onto our balcony, and some dozen windows along Prom deck shattered, dut tothe ship's flexing and shuddering while fighting for headway. Storms put us into NYC 6 hrs late, and it was a bumpy ride, but still a great cruise.

Michael - thank you for replying to my post. I realize we are a far piece from everything aft, yet hopefully that will force us to walk even more. Wow - what excitement you experienced on the Golden in '02. Thanks, gg

we have an aft cabin, on a trans pacific in November to Hawaii.....we were told by the Princess rep that it might get bouncy! she said in the next breathe that we can ask for an injection if the sea sickness gets too bad! she was also quoting a balcony at outside window only prices for the balcony cabins, so maybe they are a hard sell. we are about 4 cabins from the very fron on Emerald, deck 8....so she also said we might get an upgrade also.

gg3

Actually, that crossing wasn't that bad - although some people certainly thought it was rough and the end of the world.

We had a much rougher time, 5-89, China Sea, on the little Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 tonner), trying to out-run the back end of a typhoon. We had green water over the bridge, inclinometer was pegged several times, and screws out of the water. That was rough! (Think of the Caine Mutiny.) Halsey's fleet lost three destroyers to capsizing in those same waters, closing days of WW2.

gg3

Actually, that crossing wasn't that bad - although some people certainly thought it was rough and the end of the world.

We had a much rougher time, 5-89, China Sea, on the little Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 tonner), trying to out-run the back end of a typhoon. We had green water over the bridge, inclinometer was pegged several times, and screws out of the water. That was rough! (Think of the Caine Mutiny.) Halsey's fleet lost three destroyers to capsizing in those same waters, closing days of WW2.

FASCINATING !!! How scary was that or how exciting was that depending on your "fear factor". What is the inclinometer pegged, and screws out of the water mean. I do believe you are a Navy guy, while I am just learning what Aft means. Thanks for the input!! gg

gg3

No, as a matter of fact I was in the Army, not the navy.

The inclinometer is a gauge on the bridge which shows how far a ship can list before it becomes unstable and in (remote) danger of capsizing. Inclinometer pegged means the ship was at its stability limit. (Think Poseidon Adventure.)

Screws out of the water means the ship was pitching so much the propellors came out of the water, losing "traction", and spinning freely. When that happens, there is quite a din and a lot of shuddering.

cruizensusan

Pitching is fore and aft movement. Think of a teeter-totter, with midships being the fulcrum. In certain sea states the ships will be pitching, while in other sea states it will be rolling (side to side movement). Combine the two, and it can be very rough.

And of course, there are times when the sea is very smooth, and you are barely aware of any movement at all.

Archived