Gaillard Cut Tours

globalhoneymooning

Taking a full transit on Celebrity and looking to do a tour where we can view the construction of the new locks and Gaillard Cut. I checked Celebrity's shore excursions and the one tour I see which includes Gaillard has a child age min requirement of 4 years and we have 2 children in our party under that age.

I am still learning about the layout of the canal so wondering if we would see the Gaillard Cut during the full transit? If not, any ideas on tours where we can see the new lock construction and Gaillard?

If you are doing the full transit you will sail through Gaillard Cut and get the best view of what is going on there. Most of the work, aside from additional grading and dredging, is being done in connection with the two lock complexes. Are you stopping in Colon or Amador/Panama City for tours? There is a tour offered on some cruises that includes a look at the construction of the new locks. With the kids you might be best served by trying to arrange your own independent, private tour. If you're stopping in Colon you could get a cab to take you to the new visitor center that overlooks the construction of the new lock. Without knowing what your schedule is . . .

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. We are stopping in Colon (9am-7pm) and in terms of private tours I found these 2 through My Friend Mario. I'm not certain he goes to the new visitor center and I'm debating which one would give us a better feel for Panama. We would love to do the Embera Village tour but I don't think it's a good choice with an infant. I saw they have tours to Portebello but that struck me a place to visit if you've already been to Panama and wanted to try something different. Thoughts?

CODE: CL001

Rainforest (Watching Birds and Monkeys) + San Lorenzo Fort + Gatun Locks

6 hours

First, it will take us 20 minutes to go to the Canal where we will actually cross over the Panama Canal by bridge giving you a rare view of the locks that is seldom seen by other travellers. Second, we will enter into the virgen rainforest which is surrounded by thick jungle with a vast diversity of animal species and it is an ideal spot for watching birds and monkeys. Then our journey continues to the ruins of San Lorenzo Fort which is called the "Guard of the Chagres". For 75 years the Fort with only 300 soldiers, repelled numerous attacks by the pirates of the Caribbean . The cannons still stand as a living testament to history. We will then travel back to the Gatun Locks and we will enter to the observation deck. From there you will learn about the incredible engineering it took to build them, and their operational significance for international commerce during the last 90 years. You will also observe super tankers passing through the Panama Canal which are almost close enough to touch! Finally, you will return to the cruise to continue with your travel, but this time sharing with others your unforgettable experience in Panama.

CODE: CL009

Centennial Bridge + Miraflores Locks + Former American zone + Coastway Amador + Casco Viejo

7 hours

First, it will take us 60 minutes by road to ride on the Centennial bridge to have panoramic view of Gaillard cut (the narrow part of the Canal) and Pedro Miguel Locks. Second, we will visit the Miraflores Locks exhibition center where you will learn about the history of the canal and how it has been operating during the last 90 years. Then our journey then takes us to the former militar bases of Albrook, Balboa and Amador and you will learn about the influences of the Americans in the lifestyle of the Panamenian. Later we will travel to world famous Casco Viejo! (Panama Colonial). Here, the guide will show and talk to you about the places such as Catedral Metropolitana, Las Bovedas, Bolivar Square, and others. From 1673 to 1910 the city suffered many changes and influences of architectural style, although it's remains are predominantly neoclassic. Throughout El Casco Antiguo a variety of styles can be appreciated, primarily Spanish, French and ltalian, the Metropolitan Cathedral (La Catedral Metropolitana) on La Plaza Mayor displays two distinct architectural styles - Colonial and Neoclassical and it's belfries are covered with Mother of pearl veneer which are said to represent the marine riches of Panama. In El Casco Antiguo we will visit a beautiful vaulted promenade known as Las Bovedas. This walkway is divided into three sections: El Paseo General Esteban Huertas the tunnel of the bougainvillea's, La Punta de Chiriqui*-the viewing point, and the French Plaza (La Plaza de Francia) -in homage to those who built the Canal. In addition to these monuments - a number of old houses and other attractions can be found in the downtown district. This tour is an unrivaled cultural experience that is not to be missed in your visit to Panama! Finally, you will return to the cruise to continue with your travel, but this time sharing with others your unforgettable experience in Panama.

With an infant - if Mario takes infants - I might be inclined to take the first one which gives you some nature, and history, and some Canal - although if you're doing a complete transit YOU will get the best view of the locks from the ship. Doing the Casco Viejo requires a lot of walking and it's hot. Portobelo - the remains of the Spanish fortifications are interesting, but the town itself is kind of dirty and "down on it's heels." Again there is a lot of walking and hot. Regards, Richard

I have read on this board from other posters that Mario will customize tours as well.... if seeing some of the construction for the new locks is on your list, I would think he could accommodate you. Perhaps a tour to Ft. San Lorenzo, Gatun Locks and the recently opened visitor's center for the new Atlantic Locks? As for seeing Gaillard Cut, you will get to see the entire 8 miles of the Cut from your ship during the transit, you can't get a better place to view it. Seeing the Cut from the tour Mario offers will be more of a just a glimpse as you drive over the Centennial Bridge.

Archived