Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

I don't think a refund should be granted. However, I was wondering why didn't they deploy the lifeboats? Is it some reason they didn't?

Just heard about crew being killed in Europe when they were lowering lifeboats and now, you want to put people who will want to take all their luggage with them on lifeboats-elderly, crippled, kids, babies, etc-sounds danagerous to me.

Absurd? They CAN anchor (manually), they tender all the time, transfer ship to ship! Wow must be lots of Carnival staff on here!!!

BTW when they offer a OBC to currently booked passengers, make sure you don't use it, as your not entitled to it LMAO

You cannot anchor in hundreds of feet if not thousands of feet of water. Some people do not realize how deep it is shortly after leaving port. Some areas of the Gulf are 15,000ft deep. Now I understand that the Triumph was closer to land than that but at the same time they were far enough from land for the winds and current to move the vessel 90 miles practically over night!

As someone who has been on numerous offshore rigs (near shore and hundreds of miles off shore) I can assure you that transferring people from a crew boat to a rig (sometimes even a rig that is anchored to the sea floor) can be a daunting process. The swell are so great that it has to be timed perfect. Also tender-boats are small vessels that are equipped with bumpers and other equipment to make the job easier, since they are designed for ship to ship debark and embarkation. First of all no tender boat would have the fuel typicality to make it to where the Triumph was first stranded and make it back to shore. Second of all, you simply do no take and 100,000+ ton cruise ship and sail right next to another 100,000+ ton cruise ship and just tie the two together and allow people to make the transfer. Your asking to have two ship along with their crew on the sea floor.

Just think you could be 1 of the 500 people injured yes "injured" from stuff falling from the skies, Then or who are those people going to sue?

Anyways I hope the OP gets the Cruise cancelled I couldn't imagine a Vacation with bitter people to start with.

This isn't bad customer service. This is the policy from Carnival's site and it was your responsibility to be aware of this for whatever reason you wanted to cancel:

What is the cruise cancellation policy?

Cruise Cancellation Policy:

Length of Cruise Days Prior to Sailing Departure Charge (Per Guest)

2, 3, 4, and 5 day cruises Up to 61 days None (except for Cruise-To-Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*)

60 to 46 days Deposit^

45 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6 Day or longer cruises (Including Alaska and Hawaii)

Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of total Fare

THIS IS WHAT TRIP INSURANCE IS FOR!

Right there in black and white.

Then of course YOU can explain to me why I got SO seasick due to rough waves while we were cruising back from Key West to Galveston, across the Gulf.

The OP seems to think that the Gulf is some sort of tranquil lake instead of being the large body of water that it really is. I didn't get sick, but when I was on Mariner last year, it got bad enough on our last sea day that they closed off the open decks for most of the day. I was in the theater for the Captain's Q&A session and you could hear the waves crashing against the hull.

You didn't seem to have a problem booking after the Splendor problem. Why now?

I can only speak for myself. Because now it has happened more than once. I am curious what the cruise industry learned from Splendor and put in place for the Triumph besides public relations response. I assumed incorrectly that Carnival would take every precaution to prevent a repeat of the Splendor. Instead they kept Triumph running with known issues. I won't say I will not cruise Carnival but I don't know. If I had a cruise booked already I wouldn't be thrilled since there isn't enough information yet as to what happened. I wouldn't expect them to refund my booking though.....that is naive. But I feel for the OP because this is the first time since I began cruising that I am glad we don't have one booked.

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

The ill-informed statements some make just floor me. Transferring people in a protected bay cannot be compared to transferring someone from one ship to another on the open seas. Good to know maritime experts frequent this board.

Has nothing to do with me....... I spent good money on two cruises back to back. If Carnival is a bad company for neglecting basic needs for people, then I have THE RIGHT to request a refund... This is 2012. There is other options to get that ship to a shore so passengers can transfer to another boat. It costs $$$$$ Thats what this is all about. So ya it does affect me, cause if it happens on either one of my cruises, you clowns will come back and say, you knew what you were getting into or it was your decision. Yes it is my decision, and if I lost confidence in the company thats my decision. Ya they won't refund my money..... Who cares. Thats a drop in the bucket. You pro Carnival lovers, they can do no wrong and heaven forbid a poster dosn't agree with you, you all gang up on him like a old boys club. You know what site this is? Cruise CRITIC. It means to criticise. That is what im doing. But you can't take ciriticism, so best you leave to another site...

On behalf of the other passengers who are booked on the same cruises that you are, I'd like to wish you all the luck in the world in cancelling your plans. I'm sure they have their fingers crossed.

You guys didn't get it. Actually transferring people from one cruise ship to another on open sea is very easy. Who said we need lifeboats? They can just tie two cruise ship togather, manually. Then people can just walk (or a little jump) over on Lido deck. Simple and safe.

I am very, VERY much hoping that you are able to cancel your cruise!! I don't care if you get your money back or not, I just hope you make the right decision and CANCEL YOUR CRUISE!! :D :D :D

One glance at my signature should explain why I am rooting for you to NOT be in a situation where you feel like you must go on your cruise since you cannot get a refund. :cool:

On behalf of the other passengers who are booked on the same cruises that you are, I'd like to wish you all the luck in the world in cancelling your plans. I'm sure they have their fingers crossed.

It's posts like this that always make me think that CC needs it's own version of a "facebook-esque" LIKE BUTTON. :D

I am very, VERY much hoping that you are able to cancel your cruise!! I don't care if you get your money back or not, I just hope you make the right decision and CANCEL YOUR CRUISE!! :D :D :D

One glance at my signature should explain why I am rooting for you to NOT be in a situation where you feel like you must go on your cruise since you cannot get a refund. :cool:

I'm thinking you will be able to pick him out of a crowd. Just offer him some cheese to go with his "whine" :)

You guys didn't get it. Actually transferring people from one cruise ship to another on open sea is very easy. Who said we need lifeboats? They can just tie two cruise ship togather, manually. Then people can just walk (or a little jump) over on Lido deck. Simple and safe.

Just give everyone a couple free drinks first, the easy peasy!!!

If you do this .....all you will get is .....two ships that severely damage each other ......while they bang into each other and scrape against each other .......while not transferring anyone.

Absurd? They CAN anchor (manually), they tender all the time, transfer ship to ship! Wow must be lots of Carnival staff on here!!!

BTW when they offer a OBC to currently booked passengers, make sure you don't use it, as your not entitled to it LMAO

I wonder how they manage to carry 10000 ft of anchor chain?

It is 2 miles deep in some parts of the gulf.

To OP cruise lines don't have empty ships waiting around in case of a problem so where would you like the other ship to come from, would you like your up coming cruise canceled so they could put the passengers from the broken down ship on the ship that YOU were booked on?

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

You have tendered in the middle of the raging ocean? What port was that at?

Please...... Look at the poor crew members of the Thompson ship that lost their lives lowering a lifeboat/tender into the ocean a few days ago in the Canary Islands..... You really want to take 4,000 people off a ship in the midding of a raging ocean?

Every year people get injured and die in tender accidents...... And those tendering processes are not conducted in the middle of the ocean..... I could only imagine how many injuries and casualties would have resulted from moving that many paseengers off a moving ship and onto a moving ferry........

Please think before you make such assertions........ The Coast Guard are the experts in sea rescues.......lets leave it to them to decide the circustances unde which 4,000 people should or could be moved SAFELY.

Please put some smilies in your post so we know this is sarcasm. :):rolleyes:

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

so, uncalled for, and I don't know anyone who say's "eh"

I say "eh" a lot, picked it up from my family. We have no connection to Canada. ;)

But agree, not nice at all. While I'm hoping it was meant to be funny and not mean, it pretty much fell flat.

I don't think a refund should be granted. However, I was wondering why didn't they deploy the lifeboats? Is it some reason they didn't?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Would you really want to be out in the middle of the rough ocean? I know I sure wouldn't, talk about puking.....

We are scheduled to go on the Conquest in the end of March and I haven't given it a 2nd thought as to canceling. And even if I did, I wouldn't expect them to give me a refund.

Though my concern was they knew there were multiple mechanical problems prior to the accident on the Triumph. My thought is it should have been dry docked and fixed when the issues started happening. Then it would have been a few refunded cruises. Now it's refund, additional cruise, $500, whatever lawsuits come up, 12+ cruises being refunded, and a tarnished reputation for many. Wasn't a very wise business decision......

I think they did do the best they could given the circumstances....kudoos to the Carnival staff!! I hope every single cruise line takes note of this and have plans in place for these types of incidents...... So happy the people on the Triumph are finally home safe and sound.

And no, I am not a Carnival cheerleader either...like both RCC and Carnival for various reasons.

Archived