Has anybody ever done a Peter Deilmann cruise?

My husband and I cruised the Danube on the Mozart and had very mixed feelings. The attitude of the crew was appalling, arrogant and uncaring. A couple of examples...we had arranged for the ships transportation to pick us up at the airport and transport us to Passau. We and three other couples waited in vain for the transport to arrive. We called and were told they were on their way. Called again when they didn't show and was told to take a cab at ship's expense. When we finally arrived after a nerve-racking day, we did not get so much as bottle of wine as an apology. Second example...I twice scheduled a massage. The first time the masseur was late and the second time didn't show up at all...again no apology. The food was mediocre. The waiters never remembered what we liked to drink. On the positive side, we enjoyed our fellow guests quite a lot. The cabins were nice and we enjoyed the itinerery. We speculated that we were on the next to last cruise of the season and maybe the staff was just tired. I did write a letter to Deilman and received a response which said they couldn't understand why we were complaining...no one else does, etc. I would definitely take a barge cruise again, but not on this line!

Thanks for letting me know what the Mozart was like.

On the Deutchsland, the service was fabulous and the food stunning. Out of the 500plus passengers we had about 50 Americans I think. The German crew did everything but go to the bathroom for me. The German passengers were very upity...I was told they were either very wealthy or thought that on a 5 star ship they needed to act a certain way. Well I took care of that......the moe I drank the more I understood German (and I dont speak it) and the more they drank...the more they understood Americanese.

Had a fabo time......the crew knew to send those long hot dogs to whatever lounge I was in to go with my drinks.......thanks Captain Mayo of the Deutchsland!!!!!!!

I guess I have to go on the Mozart and mess it up a bit. Could be fun!!!!

DW and I were on the Mozart in March 2004 -- Passau to Costanza Romania. One of the best cruises we were ever on. Food was wonderful (and we're very critical of cuisine), ports and tours were great, fellow English-speaking passengers (about 25 of us) were terrific. First half of the cruise, the German-speaking folks were aloof and separatist; the 2nd half they actually answered my "guten morgan", and by the end, we were embracing, exchanging e-mails, etc. Only downer was Peter Schulz - the "cruise director", who one of our tour guides labeled "little Hitler".

Mike

Did anyone use the indoor pool or was it more for show?

I still want to try this vessel........I want to get on and stir things up a bit.

For those going on this line regardless of the ship, A small monetary tip from an AMerican goes a long way...seems that Germans regardless of $$$$$ do not tip. The crew works hard and will appreciate a tip regardless of how small and believe me it pays dividends.

Archived