Galveston boarding procedure wine?

Kathiebrown

In a few weeks, March 30th, will be our first time driving to port and embarking from Galveston. I have some questions I hope you might be answered.

What is a good pre-cruise hotel?

Where is the best place with covered parking to park at Port Galveston?

Does Port Galveston have a platinum/elite preferred boarding lounge?

I plan to bring on board the ship 4 extra bottles of wine & pay the $15 corkage fee for each bottle. I don't know what the procedure is to do this. Do I box up the wine and put in in luggage? Carry the wine on board through check in? Where and how does princess at Galveston charge you the $15 corkage fee?

If anyone can answer these questions I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you!!! :D

If Princess waiters open your bottles of wine for you, they may apply the $15 fee which you will sign for when in the dining room. If you open them in your cabin and consume the wine there, no one will charge you the fee.

There is an elite/platinum/suites check in room at Galveston. When we were there a few weeks ago, no one was checking the cards at all, so anyone could've gone in there.

We always stay at the Hamption Inn in Texas City. That is about 15 miles from the port and is an easy drive. Their staff are one of the most friendly I've experienced. Also their prices are good plus you get a good breakfast.

As far as covered parking I think there are several but we used the Port of Galveston parking. While they do offer covered parking we did not use it and don't feel it is necessary. If you prepay the port parking you savr $5.00 for the week.

We like to stay at the LaQuinta in the Clear Lake area about 30 miles from the port. There are a lot of really good reasonable restaurants in the area as well as reasonably priced hotels/motels that are clean and updated. We always park at EZCruise which is two blocks away from the port. They will take you and your luggage to the port and pick you up when you return. They do offer a cover for your car for an additional fee. I paid $50 plus $4.25 for the gov for one week next month. We have always parked there and found it exceptional. The parking lot is surrounded by a 8' chain link fence with razor wire on top and is monitored all the time.

The not so nice cruise terminals have an area set aside for platinum/elite guests. It is simply an area off the main area with the same type of seating. However you do get to board first if you are there when boarding starts. They have separate windows for checking in when you arrive once through the security check.

In three weeks I can comment on the wine issue as I will be carrying 6 bottles for evenings on our balcony. The wine comes from our favorite local wineries in the TX hill country.

Archived