Birthday Party On-Board

HALrunner

We will be at sea when my 3 year old turns 4. Any suggestions on how to make this day special for him? I am thinking packing ballons and streamers to decorate the cabin with and ordering a cake to be delivered at dinner. Also looking for gift suggestions if anyone has any for things that are lightweight, and easily packable for a four year old boy. Thanks!

When my son was little- my father always ordered us the decoration package for our room. So on the day of embarkation it would be decorated with streamers and balloons or hanging decorations. So they have such decorations and no need to bring them with you. Look to see what your cruise line provides. We did have a cake brought to our room for his birthday one year and it was very good but it went to waste (since there were just the two of us).

It would be better to have it brought to the main dining room at dinner on his birthday and then they can just take it back to the kitchen- the last thing I want in my stateroom is a whole cake to eat.

We celebrated my DD's 6th birthday onboard. I brought cabin decorating supplies and tape, snuck back to cabin while DH entertained my DD and decked out the cabin. I put up streamers, made signs for the cabin and door on the computer. I also bought her a birthday headband and sash to wear around the ship so people everywhere would wish her a happy birthday. At dinner we just ordered a regular dessert and had the dining room waiter sing to her. We could have special ordered a cake but my DD loves the warm chocolate melting cake offered on Carnival so we opted for that. We were traveling with family and we brought her wrapped gifts with us so she would have something to open. She loved it!! It was a great 6th birthday for her.

We did the room decoration package from the cruise line when our son turned 3 on our last cruise. It included streamers balloons and a cake and was put up by the steward. It also included a happy birthday sign on the door. For a gift we have him a leap pad. It was easy to pack and kept him busy for the rest of the trip and the flight home.

My daughter turned 6 at Disney World, 7 on a cruise in Norway and will turn 8 on a cruise in Greece. Rough life, right? Yet she complains all the time about not having birthday parties like the other kids... really.

We make sure the dining room staff knows that it will be her birthday. She loves to have the wait staff sing her happy birthday. HAL provided the most amazing chocolate birthday cake ever!!! We do fixed early dining so we get to know the staff and those at nearby tables and they make a big deal of telling her happy birthday, too.

I've not gotten birthday decorations and she's been ok with that. Now that I think about it though maybe party hats to wear at dinner would be fun. Or maybe a shirt that says "birthday boy" so passengers and crew can tell him "happy birthday" too! At Disney they have birthday buttons so everyone knows its your birthday, and they will decorate the table with a card signed by the characters, glitter, etc. Little things make the day special! We forgot to tell the kids club about her birthday but they were having cup cakes for another girl's birthday, so that worked out, and they all signed a big card for her there, too.

I haven't done much for gifts. Just a few small things, and any larger/more significant gifts could be opened once you get home. My mom didn't think to get her a gift until her actual birthday, a sea day - just in case anyone thought otherwise, a HAL ship is not the best place to shop for a gift for a 7yr old...

You should check out the website for the cruise line you're going on. Often the FAQs will tell you the options for celebrating a special occasion.

We were going on a cruise the week after our daughter turned 7 and when I checked Princess.com, I saw she was eligible for a birthday celebration even a week later. So when I filled out the cruise personalizer I noted her birthday. She got balloons on the cabin door and a little chocolate cake. I had asked the kids' staff if I could bring the cake that we were expecting to the Pelican room so the other kids can help her celebrate, but they said outside food wasn't allowed (the mess as well as kids' allergies). So instead, we took the leftover cake back to the cabin to keep in our cabin fridge and had a little bit (it was soooooo rich) every day til it was gone.

Thanks for all the advice! I especially like the idea of the birthday crown/shirt. We will be on HAL and they don't offer a room decoration package, so I guess I will just bring my own. He will be one of five kids (total) on the ship, so hopefully ClubHAL will make a big deal about it:)

IF the day can't be celebrated as you would like it to be, either have a BIG party before you cruise or after you all come back home. At # he really won't mind...my kids have had their parties as much as 2 weeks before or after the real date due to their wanting a certain venue for the party. I just talked with the 10 year old. She said as long as she had someone sing, a gift and a candle to blow out she was happy on ship. What she wanted on ship was a cruise. What she wanted at home was a "real" party with her friends. She said maybe a 3 year old has some play date friends and could have a fun themed party for them before the cruise.... Pretty smart for 10... HAL will sing and make a big to do about the BD. Did when we had a 4 yr old on ship. With less kids, it is a plus as yours gets lots of 1 on 1 but if you have older kids also they won't have friends to play with when they visit the Club HAL. We have had 8 children and only 6. It can be as good as you make it. We spent time with ours and didn't just drop her off all the time. There are many reas around ship where you can grab a space to play. I like the toy sign out program on Royal but the itineraries don't always match with our wants. I wish him a Happy BD and you all a great cruise. RELAX... it will all work out.

Archived