Seen anyone famous on a cruise?

calikak

Last month as we were collecting our luggage after getting off of the Dawn Princess, I was literally bumped into by Kathryn Joosten, the woman who played Mrs. Landingham on The West Wing and also plays Mrs. McCluskey on Desperate Housewives. Being a huge fan of The West Wing, it was a huge moment for me. :D So, I was wondering if anyone else had ever bumped into someone famous on a cruise?

You said famous? Like these are hardly famous!!

We caught Marty Allen's show on one of Princess' ships too. His wife sang too! Can't remember which ship...He made an interesting crack about being able to make people laugh with a clean show...

I literally "ran" into Kirsty Alley on the Caribbean Princess last summer. We had just boarded and we were going out the Riviera floor door to the aft pool and this kind of big tall-ish woman was coming in. She said "Oh I"m sorry" in that deep-husky voice. She had on a ball cap and was wearing dark glasses. The voice gave her away. I just kind of stopped and said something like "no it was my fault". She smiled and went on. I knew it was her and I asked one of the stewards and he told me she was in the big aft suite one level down and she stayed in there almost the whole trip. Her son was with her, and he was out and about but she liked staying on the balcony during the daytime.

We were on the Millenium and had the table in the Dining Room right next to theirs so we saw them every night. One afternnon we played "Seinfeld Trivia" with them in the sports bar. One of the the trivia questions was : "What daytime talk show did Kramer appear on to promote his coffetable book about coffee tables?" Of course the answer was the the "Regis & Kathy Lee show" ( at the time) so we were all teasing Regis that it was a set-up just so he could win the trivia contest!

Kind of along the lines of Britsbest - I sat and had a cocktail with a pretty young lady while my wife visited with some other people. She was quite charming, intelligent, and most importantly, laughed at my jokes. After we said our "have a great cruises" someone else came up and asked if I'd got her autograph. I said no, since I had no idea who the lady I'd been speaking to was. The second lady then informed me that I'd been talking for some time with one of the people on Beverly Hills 90210. To this day, I have no idea who she is.

Brits Best: ...And I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing, but Desperate Housewives is the biggest show on US TV; though she plays a minor character...

Reminds me of a recent article I saw on the Sea Princess' re-Christening, where all kinds of (mostly British) celebs were touted; OK, I know who Joanne Lumley is, and Ruby Wax kind of rang a bell, but the others were nonentities to me. Just depends where you live, I guess!

The second lady then informed me that I'd been talking for some time with one of the people on Beverly Hills 90210. To this day, I have no idea who she is.

I used to love that show! :D

I wonder which one you met! Did she have blonde or brunette hair?

Yeah, famous is pretty relative, I guess. If I ran into any member of any European football team, I would have no idea who they were, but I know it's a big deal to folks in Europe. OK, maybe I'd recognize David Beckham, but only because of the movie Bend It Like Beckham. :) We watched an episode of Desperate Housewives when we were in London last month, but I think it hadn't gotten as far into the series as when Mrs. McCluskey's character was introduced. Sorry to our British friends who have no idea who I'm talking about!

We cruised on the Grand in 2001 with Marty Allen and his wife-his show was fantastic!!

This past October I was on QM2 and saw Star Jones-she was having her bridal shower on QM2 in New York before we set sail. The security folks told us that there were lots of famous people at the shower, but we only saw Star.

1986 on the Royale Jerry van Dyke and I were lost on our cabin deck. Trying to find the elevators or stairs. Conversation was something like this. This way no I believe we are going to wrong way. Upset me when he called me sir. We did eventually find our way.

2002 Carnivale Pride Dave Parker baseball player with the Pirates and then Reds. We had a mutual friend. so we did have a meanful conversation.

Don't know if there are any other NASCAR fans out here but, Carnival is hosting a cruise with Rusty Wallace on Dec. 4th to the Caribbean (7 days). They are having autograph sessions along with a Q&A and picture ops. This is for his last year in racing. I'm not a big Rusty fan so this one doesn't interest me but if they ever do another Dale Jr. one, I'm there again.

Britsbest:

Robert Klein is a comedian. He was big in the 60s but probably anyone born in the last 20 years or so wouldn't know him either. BTW, I saw Jennifer Saunders (the creator of AbFab) in the store I had worked at (as I mentioned above, it was a show biz business). Two of the guys working there were the biggest AbFab fans around.

LMCAT123--I read in one of Jimmy Carter's latest books that he and his extended family have cruised together several times in the recent past. I'm paraphrasing him (don't have the book anymore) but he seemed to enjoy cruising as a family for the same reasons most of us do (all together in one place, good weather, no worries, etc....) I don't think he was onboard each time as a guest lecturer, just sailing for a vacation.

Now he would be the ultimate famous person to see while cruising!!

Has anyone on these boards ever seen him on a cruise ship?

Mary

LMCAT123--I read in one of Jimmy Carter's latest books that he and his extended family have cruised together several times in the recent past. I'm paraphrasing him (don't have the book anymore) but he seemed to enjoy cruising as a family for the same reasons most of us do (all together in one place, good weather, no worries, etc....) I don't think he was onboard each time as a guest lecturer, just sailing for a vacation.

Now he would be the ultimate famous person to see while cruising!!

Has anyone on these boards ever seen him on a cruise ship?

Mary

Jimmy Carter and family have been on the Disney Cruise. Lots of DIS posters have seen him out and about.

Archived