Which cruise for next year?

sunset785

I am looking at 2 different cruises for mid-March of 2014. We will be bringing our 2 year old with us (27 months). I don't know which one to pick and which one would be best for LO.

RC Freedom of the Seas Oceanview $2600 for 3

- Western (Falmouth, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Labadee)

- I have been to Jamaica on land vacation & Cozumel on a cruise but never to Labadee or Grand Cayman so those are both reasons why I would want to cruise here

Disney Fantasy Oceanview $3600 for 3

- Western (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Castaway Cay)

- Again looking forward to Grand Cayman- don't really care about Coz or Costa Maya (but have never been to Costa)

- Would like to go to Castaway Cay but not sure what the temp would be like in mid-March because we went to Great Stirrup Cay in early April 2010 and water was too chilly (but hey, we are from FL-- others were swimming)

The reason why I want to go on Disney is because I have heard fantastic things about the Fantasy and we will be trying for another baby soon after this cruise so I'm not sure how feasible a Disney cruise will be after that with the cost. BUT I have heard great things about the Freedom as well. It's a huge price difference but we can swing Disney but I'm not sure I want to. I like the itinerary better on FOS but the idea of Disney better. Any help would be great.

I'd say Freedom for a couple reasons:

-For the $1000 price difference, I don't think your DC would get that much more out of Disney versus RCI. As a matter of fact, we're holding off doing Fantasy/Dream until DD is 5 or 6 so she can really enjoy it.

-Itinerary: Pretty much equal, except for the private islands. Castaway Cay is AMAZING, but as you said, can be really chilly if you don't catch it right. Labadee is gorgeous and warmer. You can't really go wrong with either, but if you do Freedom, I highly recommend getting a cabana. We did last April and it was fantastic having a home base for all the things you tote ashore for the kiddos.

With that being said, we've done Freedom a couple times and there is quite a bit to do with your DC. As long as they are potty trained, the H2O Zone is a lot of fun for them. DD asks at least a couple times a month about going on it on our upcoming cruise. You can also utilize the nursery which goes to 36 months to get a bit of time for just you and your husband. I can't remember what Disney offers (we went before DD was born) but I'd imagine it was quite similar.

You can't go wrong with either, but what the decision has come down to for us is that until DD is older, we can't justify the price difference.

Good luck! :)

I love Disney - all things Disney. I've never been on a Disney cruise, but I'm sure they do it right. However, they are SO expensive, so I just can't see them being that much better than RC. But then again, I love RC too! I would have to get a really good deal to choose Disney as an option, and believe me, I've looked. I just can't justify it in my mind - despite my love of the company.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with AmesFL. We loved our Disney cruise, BUT we took our granddaughter when she was 3, and she does not remember it. Wait until your children are older and then, by all means, do it once. Everything is a Disney quality production.

Based on this price, I'd suggest Freedom of the Seas.

If DCL's price were $3000 then I will go for DCL. I think DCL (Dream and Fantasy class of ships sailing to Bahamas/Caribbean) are worth about 15% premium as compared to RCI Freedom class of ships ... family or not.

Archived