Snow storm in Kansas City

cwbabe48

OF all days, I have had our cruise planned for a year, now 48 hrs from now we are planning on flying to FLL for 2 days pre-cruise, why God is it going to snow now?

The positive side we have the 2 days to deal with any delay for departure on the 23rd! Ugh!

I haven't checked to see if any waivers have been issued to allow for travel, have they? In reality, this storm isn't that big so I doubt it. It shouldn't make too much of an impact past Thursday, but be proactive and keep checking your flight status

I am praying for no delays but like I said we are leaving (hopefully) Thrusday for the cruise on Saturday. I did not

even think of vouchers.

Zach was talking about waivers, not vouchers. Airlines often waive the normal change fees and allow more flexibility when they anticipate major disruptions due to weather or other events. Check your airline website's home page, and travel bulletins will be conspicuously posted if any have been announced.

I hope you all made your cruise safely! Funny comment - all the signage, etc. on the Kansas side says "KCI", and of course on the Missouri side (as well as the rest of the nation) it's MCI. I always found that interesting. They're totally interchangeable to us!

Although the State of Missouri might want you to think 'M' = Missouri, or Kansas hijacked and changed it to 'K', the code MCI = Mid-Continent International :)

Actually - I did a little research. Growing up in the Kansas City area, that airport was always referred to as Kansas City International, or KCI, but of course as you said, the code is MCI for Mid-Continent.

Turns out, the airport IS named Kansas City International, but that was a name change after being originally called Mid-Continent, hence the MCI. The IATA code of KCI had already been assigned to an airport in Indonesia. If you type the code MCI into a flight search, it will generally pop up as MCI - Kansas City International. This is a summary from the KCI website - http://www.flykci.com/AirportService/Faq/Index.htm

Actually - I did a little research. Growing up in the Kansas City area, that airport was always referred to as Kansas City International, or KCI, but of course as you said, the code is MCI for Mid-Continent.

Turns out, the airport IS named Kansas City International, but that was a name change after being originally called Mid-Continent, hence the MCI. The IATA code of KCI had already been assigned to an airport in Indonesia. If you type the code MCI into a flight search, it will generally pop up as MCI - Kansas City International. This is a summary from the KCI website - http://www.flykci.com/AirportService/Faq/Index.htm

I was under the impression that airports in the US couldn't use "K" as an identifier code back in the day because of radio. As a result, even today, very few codes start with K. But, I could be wrong. I often am.

Edit: looking at your link, it appears I am not completely off my rocker. But, I do believe there are a few US airports that have codes starting with K, notably a few in Hawai'i.

Archived