Have not seen this well kept secret posted yet.

susie8862

I am going to try to make this less confusing for everyone. I do not understand why no one has posted this before.

Was just on the Carnival Splendor 15 day Hawaiian cruise. It was 4 days across the Pacific and in those 4 days, noro-virus was all over the ship.

My husband was sooooo sick by day 5 when we had our first port in HILO.

Needed to get him medicine quickly and find the closest drug store.

I had NO idea what I was doing and was a little scared. I asked a representative in port if I could walk to a store and she said no. She told me to stand in a line which has a shuttle bus that would take me into town. Okay...now this is where I do not want to get too confusing for anyone.

In EVERY port we went to...there is a store called HILO HATTIE. This store has there OWN private shuttle bus service. THEY WANT THE CRUISE SHIP business.....So.....you stand in line where the bus is very colorful and largely marked HILO HATTIE. The lady outside the bus will put a necklace (pukka shells) THIS IS YOUR TICKET...FREE.

You will now go to their store (whether you want to or not..lol). You MUST enter the store...(very expensive, but beautiful stuff).

You may exit the store at any time....there will be a bus waiting to take you ANYWHERE. I needed to get to a drugstore....

On the other Islands, after going thru their stores...(lol) we went to Pearl Harbor...Waikiki Beach...on and on. All of their bus stops are clearly marked with a big red sign. They run every 20 or 30 minutes and they WILL tell you the LAST pick up. They are ALL soooo very very nice. They even give you history lessons en route to your destination.

Please visit their website.... Hilo Hattie dot com

Any questions, please ask. I used them in every port ALL DAY long.

Thanks for the tip. Also most ports will offer a walmart shuttle I imagine you can any meds or anything else there. Hope your hubby felt better for rest

Of the cruise

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for your well wishes Bev.

I believe we are talking about the same shuttle. Walmart does not have their own....

Every stop had a Hilo Hattie had a Walmart near it...unless there was something I missed, did the shuttle say "Walmart" on it?:o

PS....It was the joke on the ship....because soooo many people were sick...there were tons of us in the medicine isle at Walmart. The on going joke..."WE CAME ALL THE WAY TO HAWAII TO GO TO WALMART"

I am going to try to make this less confusing for everyone. I do not understand why no one has posted this before.

Was just on the Carnival Splendor 15 day Hawaiian cruise. It was 4 days across the Pacific and in those 4 days, noro-virus was all over the ship.

My husband was sooooo sick by day 5 when we had our first port in HILO.

Needed to get him medicine quickly and find the closest drug store.

I had NO idea what I was doing and was a little scared. I asked a representative in port if I could walk to a store and she said no. She told me to stand in a line which has a shuttle bus that would take me into town. Okay...now this is where I do not want to get too confusing for anyone.

In EVERY port we went to...there is a store called HILO HATTIE. This store has there OWN private shuttle bus service. THEY WANT THE CRUISE SHIP business.....So.....you stand in line where the bus is very colorful and largely marked HILO HATTIE. The lady outside the bus will put a necklace (pukka shells) THIS IS YOUR TICKET...FREE.

You will now go to their store (whether you want to or not..lol). You MUST enter the store...(very expensive, but beautiful stuff).

You may exit the store at any time....there will be a bus waiting to take you ANYWHERE. I needed to get to a drugstore....

On the other Islands, after going thru their stores...(lol) we went to Pearl Harbor...Waikiki Beach...on and on. All of their bus stops are clearly marked with a big red sign. They run every 20 or 30 minutes and they WILL tell you the LAST pick up. They are ALL soooo very very nice. They even give you history lessons en route to your destination.

Please visit their website.... Hilo Hattie dot com

Any questions, please ask. I used them in every port ALL DAY long.

This is a great tip! Thanks. I'll be there next week!

Hilo Hatties has been mentioned millions of times and I personally reffered to it within the last two weeks with regards to someone asking about walking into town of Hilo along with the Walmart shuttles in every port as well.

I hate to tell you this, but yes, this is not a secret. This is a good reason to research!

For Hilo, there will be an area right off the ship where there's line ups for the Hilo Hattie's shuttle and the one for Walmart. Both those stores are across the street from each other (Hilo Hattie's is on the corner of the Prince Kuhio mall). There is a city bus that we took a couple of years ago, but it goes in some circular pattern, rather than linear. So a few months ago when discussing what we were going to do on our December cruise (our third one to Hawaii!), my hubby put his foot down and said no buses.

For Honolulu, it's a bit more complicated in terms of getting a freebie shuttle. A couple of years ago, I asked the many workers holding signs for the different shuttles, and they all said there's a charge. But I do think there's a Hilo Hattie's shuttle (if you're interested, you can email them at their website) to their location that's a distance away. But there's a HH at the Ala Moana mall -- if you can figure out where to catch the city bus and the # bus, you can go there that way or get a taxi. We really liked that mall as there's such a variety of stores there, and an incredibly large food court.

For Lahaina, there's a HH right there (we didn't go looking for it as we had other places to check out there) within walking distance. In fact, the town is right there by the pier after you get off the tender. We did take the city bus (you catch it behind the Wharf Cinema Center) two years ago, but it was too crowded. This time we took a taxi to the Whalers Village (no HH, but there's an ABC store there as well as a really nice selection of stores, and a pretty beach).

In Kauai, there will be free shuttles galore right outside the terminal. The HH one will take you to downtown Lihue (that was the first HH I've ever been to:)). There's also a Walmart one (don't know where that is in Lihue). Also free shuttles to the Anchor Cove shopping center, but you can walk there. Many of us go to the beach there.

• 2 weeks later...

For Lahaina' date=' there's a HH right there (we didn't go looking for it as we had other places to check out there) within walking distance. In fact, the town is right there by the pier after you get off the tender. We did take the city bus (you catch it behind the Wharf Cinema Center) two years ago, but it was too crowded. This time we took a taxi to the Whalers Village (no HH, but there's an ABC store there as well as a really nice selection of stores, and a pretty beach).

[/quote']

Patty, my DH has said he would prefer not to take buses, either. We will also be docking in Lahaina and want to go to Kaanapali Beach and Whaler's Village again. Did you notice if there where taxi's available right at the ship? Also, were there taxi's available at Whaler's Village to take you back to the ship - or did you have to call for one? Thanks.:)

Patty, my DH has said he would prefer not to take buses, either. We will also be docking in Lahaina and want to go to Kaanapali Beach and Whaler's Village again. Did you notice if there where taxi's available right at the ship? Also, were there taxi's available at Whaler's Village to take you back to the ship - or did you have to call for one? Thanks.:)

When we got off the tender, I didn't see any taxis by the port, so maybe they were all taken. I noticed an activities kiosk outside the Wharf Cinema Center so I asked the man there where we can catch a taxi, and he offered to call us one. I had programmed phone numbers of taxis into my phone, so that would have been my next move.

When he dropped off us, the driver gave us his business card so I can call when we wanted to be picked up. One of his fellow drivers got there in a couple of minutes.

When we got off the tender' date=' I didn't see any taxis by the port, so maybe they were all taken. I noticed an activities kiosk outside the Wharf Cinema Center so I asked the man there where we can catch a taxi, and he offered to call us one. [b']I had programmed phone numbers of taxis into my phone, so that would have been my next move.

[/b]

When he dropped off us, the driver gave us his business card so I can call when we wanted to be picked up. One of his fellow drivers got there in a couple of minutes.

Great idea! Thanks.:)

We just got back. There were lots of taxis available not far from the tender area. We just walked to the beach in LaHaina, so I don't know about taxis at Whaler's Village, but I'd assume so.

Archived